WELCOME TO ALL

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: WELCOME TO ALL

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Aug 2018, 10:01

Good that he was tested.
Although yogurt is healthy, you are correct, it doesn't come close to giving enough probiotics to really help.

What you might want to do (especially if he has any SID signs and it sounds like he does).... get some slippery elm powder prebitoic ....(NOT capsules!) and just give a tiny pinch... like approx 1/16 of a tsp(less is often better).... toss in with his food....

OR.... talk to your vet and ask your vet to prescribe a prebiotic with probiotics and give it maybe a week to see if you notice ANY improvement... if yes--stay the course. if no-- then ask the vet to prescribe some Tylan antibiotic powder. Dosing instructions are on the SID/SIBO page https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

P.S. with any probitoics--it tends to work better if you start with half the recommended dose and work your way up to a full dose over the course of maybe a week........ some dogs have difficulty with a full dose of probiotics and need to be "eased" into it........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Aug 2018, 19:56

If it helps any... when my Izzy was first diagnosed.... i was numb in shock the first week. Never heard of this thing called "EPI" and when i read up on it supposedly only GSD and Rough Coated Collies got it..... why o why did my little Spanish Water Dog have it?

Amazing how well these pups respond and how manageable EPI really is if you have folks to help you out with all the little tips and tricks :)

Ringo is looking good.. please keep us updated .
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

RingoMommy

Post by RingoMommy » 21 Aug 2018, 00:10

Thank you. You described my reaction exactly. Why Ringo? He's never done anything wrong. :(

I have another question. I know I have read NO TREATS. But there has to be a way to give treats. I have always given him some chicken when I come home at lunchtime. How long can an enzyme be mixed with water and still be viable to add to food? I don't really have the extra time to mix it up on my lunch hour. The walk around the neighbourhood is tight as it is.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Aug 2018, 10:50

What you can try is switch from giving treats to Ringo to giving a physical reward "trea"t by playing tuggy with a special designated tuggy every day when you first come home for lunch... make a big ta-do about it, get him excited. and turn this into something he will look forward to every day instead of a treat.........

But if a small burst of activity as a welcome home/reward thingy doesn't work......Didn't you mention that you give Ringo yogurt? If so what you can do is just plop a dollop of yogurt in a dish and add a pinch of enzyme (like 1/16 or 1/8 of a tsp) immediately when you get home..... let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes (small amount).... and then you can give him his piece of chicken... immediately followed by this dollop of yogurt laced with enzymes.... and it most likely will be fine.

Later.... MUCH later.... like once Ringo is stable (which means delivering normal looking poos CONSISTENTLY about 1 to 3 times a day) then you can start playing around with "trying" to give treats without enzymes and figuring out exactly how much and what kind Ringo can handle without the enzymes.... Some dogs can never handle treats without enzymes, while others can handle a little bit. For us, my Izzy was able to handle treats without enzymes... BUT (for us) what worked best was a tiny piece of pure protein only (like a piece of chicken the size of my thumbnail.) What i learned is that it is not the size of the treat that matters, but rather the anticipation of getting a treat :).

I also was doing Schutzhund training (tracking part) with my gal and once she was stable i also found i was able to give her a maximum of 10 tiny pieces of grain free kibble.... but 11 pieces shortly thereafter gave her SID- -talk about crazy.... jsut one more piece and that set her off :) so i learned that protein was more tolerable (meat)...... and how to be real careful :)

However, with Ringo it is not yet time for you to give treats without enzymes.....you really have to wait until he is stable..... SOOOoooo my #1 suggestion is to try a super fun short -burst of activity. (when we played tuggy it took about 3 minutes and Izzy LOVED it!)... i also always used only 1 special tuggy that was was used ONLY for a specific reward (we also did search & rescue and that was her reward- - this was a situation that because of EPI we had to switch from a food reward to an activity reward. Just sharing :)