Kenzie update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Re: Kenzie update

Post by Riley's Mom » 29 Apr 2019, 17:49

I think Jean steered you away from Chicken because many EPI dogs don't do well with chicken. But some do just fine and if you have so many things she does not tolerate, chicken might be a good protein source for you to try.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 07 May 2019, 05:42

I am waiting to hear from the vet if salmon is ok. I have searched loads of the foods suggested. Eden semi moist duck and tripe sounds very good But is tripe a no no 're her allergy to beef? Her poo is not improving, in fact 4 yesterday, 2 very sloppy, I am getting really frustrated at nog being able to help her!
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 May 2019, 07:10

Hi there. How were the poops on the 50/50 mix? If she was doing good with 50/50 mix can you stay on that? I believe the reason Jean said to stay away from chicken is because typically EPI dogs don't seem to tolerate chicken very well, however, there are many that do and you don't know until you try. If you try the hydrolyzed prescription food there are only a few that are truly hydrolyzed and Royal Canin Ultamino is the one that seems to work best with EPI dogs. If you decide the home cook route, we have information on that on our diet page. I hope you find something that works. I will say my boy has A LOT of food sensitivities and it was VERY DIFFICULT for me to find one that he could tolerate - I was about to give up and decided to try Sport Dog Food Elite Herding - it has catfish (low down on the list only 8% i believe) and he is allergic to white fish BUT he is able to tolerate it and has been doing great on it. I hope you find something soon.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 13 May 2019, 05:37

It seems nothing is helping at the moment. We did go back to 50/50 but her poo was still bad. We have now tried the salmon (the allergy company finally spoke with the vets and said they don't test for salmon as it's not a common dog food!). So far her poo is getting worse. I actually believe something else is going on here. She has always been a hungry dog but now she acts hungry all the time! I suppose as she is losing a lot of food undigested she must feel empty. I am booking her in with the vets and hope they can find something going on. I am at a loss?
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 May 2019, 09:11

Remind me, has she been tested recently for giardia and the likes?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 13 May 2019, 09:36

She has not been tested and don't believe ever has, unless it is part of the standard blood tests?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 May 2019, 16:32

Usually with my dogs labs I take a urine sample and a poop sample in so they can check for parasites in the poop. Urine is more kidney function, crystals present, etc.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 13 May 2019, 17:00

If your dog is fine with pork.... i'd give it... but if you are dealing with IBD in addition to EPI..... sometimes the better option is to talk to your vet about trying hydrolyzed foods. WIth our EPI dogs, althou not with every single EPI+ IBD dog.... it does appear that the majority of these dogs dealing with dual conditions do better on Royal Canine "Ultamino" hydrolyzed foods.... this food is the highest reduced food out of all the hydrolyzed on the market.

Regarding chicken.... the only reason why it was suggested to stay away s because over the years chicken is in everything and for the dogs that start developing intolerances.... chicken just seems to be the biggest offender.

Regarding the current food 50% protein and 50% veg....and the poo blow out.......veg is carb/fiber and many of our dogs cannot handle much of this... that is why so many of our dogs (but not all)O do better on low (even lower than 4%) fiber content commercial foods.
I see a HUGE difference personally when i feed my EPI gal 3.5% fiber content (veg, etc) vs. 4% fiber content. And if a food has too many carbs, this too will trigger too big and too many poos........ so........ what you can try is add more real protein to the food and see if that alters the poo for the better.... or not.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........