Kenzie update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Kenzie update

Post by Floramac » 29 Apr 2019, 03:34

So we went on holiday, leaving Kenzie with her dear friends in Somerset. We left her on a feed of 50/50 with the old and the new food (Millie's Wolfheart countryside and pork based one. She did ok, not perfect but no runs. Now back home we figured go 100% of the new food. Almost immediate poor reaction. Poos very poor and absolutely huge. My thoughts are as the new food is 50% pork (protein) and the rest veg compared to 70% protein in the old food, she is not liking all the veg? Very unsure of where to go from here. I actually feel I need to go down the home cooked route or perhaps a mix of both?
In herself, Kenzie is very well, her coat is lovely and eyes are bright.
Thanks for any advice.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Kenzie update

Post by Jean » 29 Apr 2019, 06:45

is the new one this one

https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/pork-and-veg

Composition: Freshly Prepared Pork (29%), Sweet Potato, Potato, Dried Pork (14%), Chickpeas, Tapioca, Pork Fat (6%), Lucerne, Pork Gravy (1%), Minerals, Vitamins, Tomato Pomace, Turmeric, Yucca, Glucosamine (170 mg/kg), Methylsulfonylmethane (170mg/kg), Chondroitin Sulphate (120 mg/kg), Dried Apple, Carrot Flakes, Lovage Powder, Seaweed Meal, Dried Cranberry, Aniseed and Fenugreek, Camomile Powder, Burdock Root Powder, Peppermint, Dandelion Herb, Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Sage

Nutritional Additives per kg:
Vitamins: Vitamin A (as retinyl acetate) 14,400 IU, Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) 2,165 IU, Vitamin E (as alpha tocopherol acetate) 95 mg

Trace Elements: Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 160 mg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 133.5 mg, Manganous Sulphate Monohydrate 105 mg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 58 mg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 1.58 mg, Sodium Selenite 0.64 mg

Analytical Constituents: Crude Protein 21%, Crude Oils and Fats 14%, Crude Fibres 4%, Crude Ash 10.5%, Moisture 8.5%, Omega 6 1.4%, Omega 3 0.3%, Calcium 2.5%, Phosphorus 1.3%

Metabolisable Energy 340 Kcal/100g

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

to be fair, I have never come across a pork based dog food

it would look like she has intolleranaces to pork my Kara does too, but tolerates porcine enzymes

just remind me, what was/is, the old food

veg is fibre, and maybe she cant tolerate all that fibre, or so much veg, although it says 4% fibre it could be downfall

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 29 Apr 2019, 09:23

She was on countryside mix which is 70% meat (Freshly prepared Lamb (20%), freshly prepared duck (20%), dried duck (18%), sweet potato, potato, dried lamb (5%), dried rabbit (3%), duck fat (3%), pea fibre, lucerne, vitamins, minerals, lamb gravy(1%), dried apple, carrot flakes, spinach flakes, lovage powder, seaweed meal), dried cranberry, aniseed and fenugreek, Glucosamine (175 mg/kg), Methylsulfonylmethane (175 mg/kg), Chondroitin Sulphate (125 mg/kg) , camomile powder, burdock root powder, peppermint, dandelion herb, thyme, marjoram, oregano, parsley, sage). Her allergy report showed allergies to lamb, beef, turkey,fish mix and white mix to name a few. Pork, rabbit, chicken and duck were good, that's why we went for pork. Today, we have gone back to countryside but are obviously looking for a better option. I will talk to the vet to find out if the fish allergy includes salmon.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 29 Apr 2019, 10:35

i would steer clear of Chicken, rabbit is a good one

Karas intollerences were pork chicken white fish and beef, and still are

white fish goes straight through her, its not easy

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 29 Apr 2019, 11:44

"Steer clear of chicken " why? This us one of the meats she is not allergic to and if I go down the home cooked route, chicken would be one of the ingredients?

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 29 Apr 2019, 13:08

https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/rabbit-wi ... gLF5vD_BwE
Dont know wether this has copied over but this is pre- prepared raw food i have used there products and i do know someone that even lightly cooks a premade raw food for there dog.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 29 Apr 2019, 14:59

Thanks but the suitable ones have peas and she is allergic!

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 29 Apr 2019, 15:58

Simpsons do a venison and rabbit kibble. Normal price food.https://www.simpsonspremium.com/dogs/gr ... son-rabbit
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 29 Apr 2019, 16:57

The vet may suggest prescription hydrolysed Hills ZD or Royal
Canin. These have no recognisable allergens. Mostly because it is corn starch with nutrients. Basically a dairy free blancmange. It works but I wouldn’t like to say whether the cornstarch agrees with epi. Personally I would prefer to find a tasty food like you are researching. So you should be ok with venison, rabbit, duck. Are sweet potato and spuds ok? I’m sure you’ll find something. Prepacked raw is certainly possible, I have done it myself with my other dogs, but gave up partly because I didn’t like sloppy kisses of raw food! It is a minefield at first.
It’s not recommended to cook the ready mixed raw food because it has crushed bone in it, which will become hard and sharp if cooked. Some dogs like my Marti don’t seem to digest raw bone very well.
When you had the blood tests, did it specify whether the reactions were for full blown allergy, or for sensitivity? Sensitivities may improve, or turn to allergies. You mentioned chicken, Marti gradually reacted to chicken, it made her guts produce a poo with a coating round it like sausage skin. She was fine with either Eden or Millie’s. Every dog is different.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 29 Apr 2019, 16:59

Venison is another allergy! Will look at the others on the site thank you.