3 yr old Dalmatian, cant figure out whats wrong

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
realamerican13
State: New York
Pet name: Lincoln

3 yr old Dalmatian, cant figure out whats wrong

Post by realamerican13 » 25 May 2019, 10:37

Hi all, I have a 3 year old dalmatian named Lincoln. About 2 months ago he started having loose yellow mustard colored and "sweet" smelling stool as well as rapid unexplained weight loss. He had a urinalysis, blood test, and ultrasound. All results were "normal" with the exception of the ultrasound showing a slightly enlarged prostate which the vet didn't seem concerned about. He was switched to Hills science diet ID and is being given pancreatin 6x from enzyme diane (1 teaspoon per cup of food). In the span of about 2 weeks he has gained 8 pounds (he was 42 pounds day of his ultrasound and basically skin and bone, he is now 50 pounds). He is still too skinny for my liking, but his usual weight is about 55 lbs, so only 5 more pounds to go. The next step with the vet is a "malabsorption panel". While he has gained weight and seems to be in better spirits, his stool is still troubling me. While it no longer smells sweet, and he is going less frequently, it seems to be developing only a shell of what a regular bowel movement would look like. The inside of the stool is still the yellow mustard color, just a little more formed and a sandy consistency. He has just recently also had some grey looking mucus on his stools and began scooting a lot. I'm interested in hearing what others who have been through this think of this situation. I heard b12 can help the food absorption as well but I was advised by vet not to start the b12 until after the malabsorption panel to see where his baseline is. It also may be relevant that I have another 6 year old dalmatian named Jackson who had the same loose stool at the same time Lincoln did, but he recovered from it quickly, hasnt lost weight but does have the same yellow mustard color on the inside of his stools, the outside looks like a regular bowel movement. If anyone has a food recommendation or anything that can help me solve this puzzle I'd greatly appreciate it.

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Re: 3 yr old Dalmatian, cant figure out whats wrong

Post by Paige's Guardian » 25 May 2019, 12:13

My Dane had normal stools almost immediately when we switched her food and added enzymes. Now, as she has gotten older. she has had issues with yellow stools just this past year. For her, the only thing that works is Tylan powder.

I am sure others will chime in as the day progresses.

Conny
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 25 May 2019, 12:16

Hi and welcome to the forum. The first thing that jumps out at me is the Hills prescription diet. Please check this link to see if it is among the recall going on:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... l-expands/

It is interesting both dogs poops look the same. Are they both on the Hills?

It would be best to have the Tli test done to confirm EPI and if possible have them run B12 and folate. It is a 12 hour fast before this test.

Have their stools been tested to rule out giardia or other bugs?

It could be food intolerance or SID (Small Intestinal Dysbiosis)

https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-in-brief/
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

realamerican13

Post by realamerican13 » 25 May 2019, 12:44

Thanks for the quick reply, To answer your questions, their particular food is not on the recall, both dogs stool samples were tested and came back negative for giardia and whatever else they tested for, they are both on the hills, and I plan on having the vet do the TLI test as well as b12 and folate. How is small intestine dysbiosis diagnosed? I thought they would have seen some sort of inflammation when they did the ultrasound but they didnt.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 25 May 2019, 13:27

On the SID/SIBO link in my previous post if you read down a ways it gives the protocol, and also says that a lot of the time EPI and SID go hand in hand and they treat it when they are treating the whole dog for EPI. Usually a 45 day course of antibiotic is given. Metro(flagyl) or Tylan is prescribed or a different one.. Tylan is usually the antibiotic of choice here as it is easy on the dogs system. That being said Tylan does not always work for every dog.

Sometimes a high folate result can mean SID.

Some of the time with the implementation of enzymes the vet will wait to see if the enzymes will clear it up.

Good you will have the Tli test done. The symptoms of EPI can mimic some other conditions and it is always reassuring to know that you are following the best path for your dogs condition.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 25 May 2019, 17:25

Its complicated at first, but you get used to it.
In answer to your poo questions, I would suggest that the HillsID may be an issue. Two things it contains don’t agree with many epi dogs, namely grains, including rice, and chicken. My dog produced stools that had a gelatinous coating which resolved itself with a change of food. We changed to grain free, and a different protein, like fish, game, other meats. Other US folk can advise on brands. We all usually find that a suitable normal dog food works well because the enzymes do the digesting., assuming other disorders aren’t implicated.
B12 levels for epi4dogs need to be 600, instead of the normal 300; something many vets don’t know.
I hope you get your tests sorted out, and continue with the weight gain. We have all been at the desperate stage!
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 May 2019, 23:06

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. I too find it interesting and odd that both dogs developed yellow stools - it might be time to consider a food change. I'm glad you are getting the EPI test done - be sure your dog is fasted for at least 12hrs and have them test B12 and Folate. As for SID, there is no "test" - it's diagnosed based upon symptoms. There are four cornerstones to managing EPI: Enzymes (we recommend starting dose of 1tsp per cup of kibble, mix in luke warm water then incubate 20-30 min before serving); B12 (EPI dogs need B12 in the higher range of normal 600+ - you can either do weekly shots or use WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 - supplementing is for life); Antibiotics (Tylan for 45 days is recommended if dealing with SID); Food (grain free, 4% fiber or less, avoid peas and chicken). Your vet is correct in holding off on giving B12 until you have the test done as long as you are going to have it done soon.

Since both dogs appear to be having some issues, if I were you, I would try using Slippery Elm Bark Powder. SE is a mucilage that coats the digestive tract and is a prebiotic - it can help restore the gut flora. Here is a link to our page on SE with dosing instructions https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

Keep a detailed log of everything you give and everything that comes out so you know what works and what doesn't.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

realamerican13

Post by realamerican13 » 26 May 2019, 08:46

Thank you all for the info, I’m seeing the vet Tuesday and will have these tests done ASAP, slippery elm bark and a better dog food is on its way.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 26 May 2019, 09:06

Looking forward to seeing the results.
Please remember to have your pup fasted for 12 hrs before the blood draw.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 26 May 2019, 21:46

Hello and welcome. Glad you are doing the cTLI test. It is the Gold Star of diagnosis. Sometimes, finding the right food for our dogs is the hardest part. It helps to keep a journal/log to record everything you give your dog, the amounts, and the resulting poos on a daily basis. Buy the smallest bag of food you can while you are experimenting. Try the food for 3-5 days and record the results. If you make changes, make only one at a time so you can tell which change caused the results.

Let us know when you get the results of the tests.

Barb