Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: New member

Post by Barb » 26 May 2019, 22:13

Hello and welcome! I am so sorry for your loss of Maggie. It is so hard to let our pups go. She was so lucky to have you.

And you and Sandie have been through so much. But it sounds like you are turning the corner now. A 20 minute walk sounds incredible.

I agree that she should be retested since she was not fasted prior to her first test. This will give you the most accurate information.

I'm glad you have found a vet who can help you and Sandie and is someone you have confidence in. Please let us know how her new treatment is going. We found that it helped us enormously to keep a log/journal of everything you give Sandie, the amounts, and the resulting poos on a daily basis. This helps you to see what is working and what isn't. It saved our sanity.

Sandie is very, very fortunate to have you. You are doing an excellent job of taking care of her.

Hugs!

Barb

Sandie
Pet name: Sandie

Post by Sandie » 28 May 2019, 16:27

Barb wrote: 26 May 2019, 22:13 Hello and welcome! I am so sorry for your loss of Maggie. It is so hard to let our pups go. She was so lucky to have you.

And you and Sandie have been through so much. But it sounds like you are turning the corner now. A 20 minute walk sounds incredible.

I agree that she should be retested since she was not fasted prior to her first test. This will give you the most accurate information.

I'm glad you have found a vet who can help you and Sandie and is someone you have confidence in. Please let us know how her new treatment is going. We found that it helped us enormously to keep a log/journal of everything you give Sandie, the amounts, and the resulting poos on a daily basis. This helps you to see what is working and what isn't. It saved our sanity.

Sandie is very, very fortunate to have you. You are doing an excellent job of taking care of her.

Hugs!

Barb
Thank you so much for your words ! I really don't think I am doing anything special ! Sandie is my friend, I love her so so much ... (just like Maggie and my other dog, Cora - we also lost her 8 months ago, so it's been really hard, we had three dogs in the family and now only one ... ) ... and now that she is old and sick, it's when I have to be there for her more than ever.

We are just back from Sandie's new appointment. The vet thinks she looks amazing, far more hidrated, and more alert.

She has been getting better so much faster than I thought ... the last three nights Sandie slept the whole night, without getting up with pain ! Far less noises, and the poops look almost normal.

The vet says the previous enzymes had a very low concentration, and that she is even going to write to the company that is selling them. She agrees the TLI test would have been better with the 12 h fasting, but that the Lab she is working with is doing very accurate results, and we can repeat it in a few months.

Sandie had an electro-acupuncture session, and massage, and will be back, again, in a week. Meanwhile, I am going the therapy and the massage which I also learned :)

Thank you for all the support, Sandie says Hello and sends hugs too to everyone !!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 29 May 2019, 19:27

Glad to see such a good update. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 30 May 2019, 13:57

I'm so glad to read the good update and that Sandie is doing so well. The acupuncture and massage has to be very helpful and must be very comforting for her. I'm also glad that your new vet is a good fit for you and Sandie.

......And loving an animal as you do is always special.

Barb