New member Peanut the Havanese

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: New member Peanut the Havanese

Post by Barb » 26 May 2019, 21:28

Hello and welcome to you and Peanut. I am sorry she is having difficulties. The beginning is the hardest stage after diagnosis as you try to get everything in balance, so don't get discouraged.

You have received excellent advice so far. Please post the results of the tests once you have them.

We, too, use the Wonderlabs pills with Intrinsic Factor to maintain Kolby's B12 levels. We used to do injections here at home for many years, but are using the Wonderlabs pills exclusively now and they are very effective.

I would mention the blood flecks in Peanut's stools to your vet, but you may be right about the cause being her straining. When Kolby had a setback some years ago there were small traces of blood in his stool and I was really worried. Our vet said to keep an eye on it, but suggested that it was a result of straining. Once we had the diarrhea under control the blood trace disappeared.

It sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Keep us updated.

Barb

Nkl811
State: Illinois
Pet name: Peanut

Post by Nkl811 » 27 May 2019, 14:50

Update-
This morning peanut threw up some yellow bile. I am sure this is what happened yesterday morning. I am so sorry about me freaking out. Probably her having an empty stomach caused that. Last night at 2 AM she actually had a poop that was a 4 on the poop chart. I felt like celebrating :D She just pooped now, 12 hours later and it was a 6 watery with a 4 in it. Yesterday I gave her a mix of her origen regional red kibble with the Royal Canine GI low fat canned.Gave it to her room temperature. She wasn't as ravenous as she has been but still ate when hungry.
Today she seems a bit more finicky but so far the food isn't just going straight through her and she ate some although not as much as usual. Yesterday, I stopped the Entero - probiotic as well. Maybe the B-12 shot she got on Friday is taking effect as well.

One issue I am having. I premixed the food, let the kibble and enzymes incubate for an hour today. Unfortunately she wasn't hungry so I refrigerated the food. When she was begging, I gave her the food cold. Even though it was thoroughly mixed and incubated earlier, do I need to warm it up again? Maybe that is why she had loose poop just now.

Thank you so much for your tips and feedback. It's been such a roller coaster ride and I know we are far from being off of it, taking it one day at a time.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 May 2019, 19:05

We usually suggest that after refrigerating enzymed food, you bring it to room temperature before serving.

Congratulations on the #4 poop! Yes, you can do the Happy Poop Dance. We have all been there.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 29 May 2019, 19:36

Have you been able to get the test results? It would really help to know the TLI, B12 and Folate scores. Have you tried stopping the Royal Canin? As mentioned before it contains grains, which can interfere with the efficacy of the enzymes. As for the poops - I would suggest chopping up a carrot and putting it in your next feeding - mark it on your daily journal the day and time you fed the carrot - they don't digest carrots so then start watching for it in the poop - mark it on your journal when you first see the carrot and any time after that you see carrot in the poop - this will tell you your dog's transition time. Most people think the poop they are seeing is from the prior meal that was fed but a dog's transition time can be anywhere fro 12-72 hours. So, the #6 poop you saw could have been from a meal fed 2 days ago.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.