Non-EPI Related Pancreatitis Question

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sparkle Tangerine
Pet name: Montgomery

Non-EPI Related Pancreatitis Question

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 06 Jun 2019, 14:47

How long does the average bout of pancreatitis last? Have any of you ever had one go really long?
Minnie May is seventeen. She has likely had pancreatitis several times in the past, but when she was young it wasn't diagnosed in cats. We're going on three weeks of vomiting. The diarrhea was short-lived and has stopped. The veterinarian put her on metronidazole (sp?) which seems to be helping. She was back in the clinic again this morning and there is some concern that this could be something far more serious than pancreatitis. She is being syringe-fed Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck mixed with a scoop of KMR. She will sometimes eat the dry food, but if she's allowed free choice, she eats a fair bit, drinks the entire water dish and spends the night vomiting, which is a new behaviour. Has anyone seen the likes of this?
Thank you for reading this!
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Non-EPI Related Pancreatitis Question

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Jun 2019, 15:16

Not familiar with pancreatitis in cats but when my jack russell got it it was chronic, never went away. But the vomiting should have stopped. Is that a grain free diet?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sparkle Tangerine

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 06 Jun 2019, 15:46

The Natural Balance is grain-free. All the limited ingredient diets for cats seem to be grain-free. She has never had anything but good food. She was a Medi-Cal baby and has eaten mostly Science Diet over the years (which is why she still has a nice set of teeth at her age). Natural Balance is a new food for her. She is a poor eater of wet food generally, preferring to eat the dry food. We got a water fountain for her because she wasn't drinking and she only has one working kidney. Over the last several days, if we just syringe-feed her and offer very little kibble, she's fine. If we let her nibble on her food, she spends the night gulping water and vomiting. I'm not blaming the Natural Balance because this behaviour began before the food switch. I've never seen so much vomit come out of one cat. She's only 3.43kg. Her kidney checked out fine. When I get up in the morning, I feed the others and then syringe-feed her and give her her metronidazole (sp?) After Montgomery takes his second meal (around ten), I syringe-feed her again. After that, she's bright as a penny and you wouldn't know she wasn't herself. I don't know what to make of this.
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Jun 2019, 15:58

Have you tried Science Diet I/D kibble softened and syringed? Pancreatitis likes grains.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sparkle Tangerine

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 06 Jun 2019, 16:45

No, I haven't tried that yet but its a good suggestion. I have to go back to the clinic to-morrow and I'll see what they say. Whatever this is, its a nasty bug.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 06 Jun 2019, 23:20

wish I could help, but

is she bringing up food or just froth
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sparkle Tangerine

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 07 Jun 2019, 17:38

Well, this morning there were two vomits. One was kibbles, unchewed and thrown up by one of the litter box (probably May). The other was a hairball, water, and some food (I don't think that was May, I think that was Maura. She was looking hairballish before bed but you take your life in your hands handling that cat, so she was on her own for that one). She wouldn't eat for me this morning. I syringe-fed her twice. Both feedings stayed down, but she was starting to fish out before I left so I put the water dish up on the counter. It turns out, as an aside, that our foster cat cannot use the water fountain, so we've had to put an alternate water dish where she can reach it. It seems Kitty Fantastic is too short. May's veterinarian isn't in the clinic until Monday, so we'll see how the weekend goes. If she's not any better, perhaps an X-Ray?
She usually bugs me for kibble in the morning, meowing and dancing and carrying on. No interest. She usually bugs me when I'm feeding our foster kittens. No interest. She didn't even want a bite of my bagel. She loves bagels.
I don't know what the heck this is.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jun 2019, 23:31

Is there some really stinky stuff she likes? Tuna water? Good beef or chicken broth? I suppose it might be an obstruction. Is she acting like she has a bellyache after she eats?

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Jun 2019, 09:37

Wish I could help but I have no experience with cats or pancreatitis. Sending hugs for you and prayers for your little one.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sparkle Tangerine

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 08 Jun 2019, 09:49

Our veterinarian doesn't seem to think its an obstruction. I'm going to ask her about X-Rays on Monday and see what she thinks. I can't afford an ultrasound. I've begun adding kelp to her feedings and will begin adding curcumin to-day. She vomited frothy watery stuff very early this morning. No food. I fed her awhile later and it has stayed down. She's bright and wants attention. She had some water after she was fed but didn't fish out. She's still syringe-fed. She's turned me down cold for everything offered, including some of Montgomery's kibble. She's a funny cat. She's not into the sardines and all that. She likes matzos, popcorn, crackers. She's nuts for that stuff. I can't use S'wheat Scoop or World's Best kitty litters with my foster kittens because she'll eat it. She doesn't want anything. She's better than she was, but this is a very odd thing.