New Non EPI Member of the Family

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
TerryBin
Staff
State: Washington

Re: New Non EPI Member of the Family

Post by TerryBin » 16 Jun 2019, 21:42

Welcome! We thought we had a non-EPI dog along with our 2 that had it (one passed away at age 12 1/2 not related to EPI in April)and all 3 dogs went back and forth eating out of each other's bowls...and we didn't stress about it and it all seemed to work out fine. In January we found out the 3rd pup has EPI so now it really doesn't matter. We hope to have a new puppy (which hopefully won't have EPI) in mid-September....and we will just continue feeding like we did. I agree it's more of an issue of the EPI dog getting food without enzymes than the other way around.
Have you had the B12 tested? Moku (the youngest and most recent to be diagnosed with EPI) has always been slow with eating and when he was diagnosed with EPI he also had low B12....gets weekly shots now....is much better about eating. So if no B12 test I would do that as that may affect how he eats. If B12 is normal (or gets supplements) you may find putting something of very high value on top at the last minute and stir in. Sometimes I think they like the crunch and with the water with enzymes they don't get the same crunch. Moku prefers crunchier food. Keep us posted.
Currently 2 Shiloh Shepherd Pups! Two Shilohs that passed over the Rainbow Bridge.
Taiko was born 6 September 2006 and had EPI; she passed over the Rainbow Bridge 10 April 2019 NOT EPI-related.
Pharaoh born 24 November 2007 and had EPI. He passed September 2020 NOT EPI-related.
Moku born 15 April 2014 and was dx with EPI in January 2019.
Hoshi born 6 July 2019 and does not have EPI
Taiko and Pharaoh were half siblings through their sire; their sire is Moku's grandfather through his Mom. Moku and Hoshi have the same sire.
Moku uses PancreaPlus tablets and receives weekly B12 shots at home.

Ruby
State: Florida

Post by Ruby » 20 Jun 2019, 22:01

LOL WHAT FUN.... I know it is not easy. I have two dogs Ruby my EPI dog who eats like there is no tomorrow and wants my other dogs food at around the same time when she comes up for air lol. I stay in the kitchen with them both ....one here and the other further away . Kody eats slow and has to look around .... drives me nuts lol. But, when he is hungry there is no getting in on his food so she stays away. I block her when I see she is wanting to get to his food and tell her no and stay ..... Well, that is my thing don't know if it will help you. Just thought I would share and help give you some company that you are not alone.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 21 Jun 2019, 14:24

can I say we had a cat, and that wasnt easy either

Kara would have eaten a scraggy cat, and food was difficult , we had to feed Titch on top of the Fridge Freezer, and she still had her paws up the damned thing

but we do whatever, and become inventive , she did get on the counter top but it got better

not easy

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Jun 2019, 19:59

Some dogs just hate the smell and taste of enzymes. Our Kolby is one of them. He still looks at me sometimes like, "I STILL have to eat that?"

That being said, one thing that we did discover when we were trying to get him to eat at the beginning was that his B12 was part of the problem. He needed a steady regimen of Wonderlabs with Intrinsic Factor and this finally helped his appetite. But he still gives me that look......

Barb

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 23 Jun 2019, 06:29

Hi, I have that multiple dog household.....1 Great Dane, 3 labs.

I saw your question on how to get your EPI dog to eat his food in a more timely manner.....and, I thought my Dane was the slowest eater. When her SID is under control she has a great appetite but still slow.

For my Dane, I use a mix-in with her food. I used to use a little canned food, then Grandma Lucy's dehydrated chicken and currently I use the honest kitchen whole grain beef. Just find something your dog likes.

Hope that helps,
Conny
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 23 Jun 2019, 07:39

try a table spoon of cat food, worked for us

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

missopal75

Post by missopal75 » 24 Jun 2019, 10:54

Thank you all so very much for all your suggestions. I had his b12 tested and he gets a daily dose of the Wonderlab Pet Factor B12 everyday and his levels are fine. I wasn't aware that i could add little "toppers" to his food. Are there suggestions for that, because that is something that i would really like to try. I noticed that once I started to add a few pieces of the food dry to the top so he could smell the regular food and get those few crunchy pieces he's eat a little faster. So if there are suggestions for something i can add to his food that would be greatly appreciated.

Again you are all a life saver with this website. You have all helped me so much.!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Jun 2019, 12:17

Parmesan cheese, tuna water or a little tuna, something smelly to cover up enzyme smell.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 24 Jun 2019, 12:47

the one thing all of my animals would have killed for is pan fried lambs liver and a bit of added garlic

Kara would haunt you

Jeanx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 26 Jun 2019, 22:03

Can you give us a bit more information on your EPI pup that doesn't seem to want to eat? Are you supplementing B12? What food are you feeding and how are you preparing it? What do the poops look like? Are you hearing any tummy rumblings, gas, burping? Just want to rule some obvious things out that may be causing the lack of appetite.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.