Dog Food Prep

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
RichardB
State: California
Pet name: Sassy
My name: Richard

Dog Food Prep

Post by RichardB » 09 Jul 2019, 17:56

Hi All,

It's been about a month since my last 2 cents got dropped here, so I missed ya'all!!!
A little while ago I asked on this forum about how long the treated dog food would last since Sassy wasn't eagerly eating it anymore. I was told an hour, and that didn't sound right so I asked our expert Diane Sloan.
My question and her response follows. By the way, Sassy is still doing great with no known problems!!! Thank You!!!

To Diane:
Hi and Thank You for being here for us!!!
I'm also a member of EPI4DOGS and it appears there is some question as to how long you wait to feed the dog after you prepared it with water.

As in: I tried to feed my dog this morning with kibble, enzyme mixed with warm water, B12 and Slippery Elm. 2 cups of kibble to 2 teaspoons of enzyme. An hour later and she still hasn't eaten it. How long can I wait for her to eat it before the enzyme won't work?

Someone responded back at EPI4DOGS that it had to be eaten within an hour. That doesn't sound right to me. Can you give me some info on this? The food is sitting in a dog dish with the air conditioned temp at about 70 degrees, if that helps. I only use about 3 tablespoons of warm water to 2 teaspoons of enzyme.

Thanks you again for your service and responses from the past!

Richard

Diane's response:
The Pancreatin will not go bad in the bowl. The enzymes need the bile salts in the dogs system to get the rest of the digestion going.

I used to make meals at the start of the week and store them in the fridge and pull them out and feed them cold when needed. This does not work for all dogs but it will work for many. The only thing we worry about is bacteria growth but a dog can handle more bacteria than we can.

Diane Sloan

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: Dog Food Prep

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 10 Jul 2019, 15:31

The thought is that the bacteria can accumulate on the food i have smelt uneaten dog food and it does have a certain pong...it does all depend on the dog there have been dogs on the forum that were free feeders and did okay...if she does do it again then perhaps pick up and store in a cool place and then bring back to room temperature later.There is so many variables with this condition alot of dogs can tolerate a small amount of treats without being near an enzymed meal ...my gal never could yet she was what we call stable quite quickly.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]