New Vet - Wants a gastrointestinal lab

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
KBarie
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Kona

New Vet - Wants a gastrointestinal lab

Post by KBarie » 24 Jul 2019, 10:55

New to this site. - The information on your site saved my dog Kona's life. Thank you!
We have recently moved and our new vet wants to run a gastrointestinal lab test.

Diagnosis TLI test: Positive for EPI/7 years ago.
New recent symptoms seem like SID (SIBO) (gas, intermittent diarrhea, eating indigestible items)
Vet ran blood test panel which came back normal but did not include B12 test.

Question(s):
Would you recommend a gastrointestinal lab for $240? Can’t she just start on the antibiotics and see if it helps?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am reviewing all information on your site again as she has been doing well for the past many years.
Thank you!
Last edited by KBarie on 24 Jul 2019, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: New Vet - Wants another TLI test

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Jul 2019, 11:06

this is just my personal opinion, but if you have the records of the original TLI test..... i would not re-test.
especially if your pup has been treated for EPI and done well for 7 years.

What you are describing sounds like typical SID (SIBO) that got out of control (since they now know all EPI dogs have SID to one degree or another) and if you have records to prove that your dog was diagnosed with EPI... a new vet should be expected to have a conversation with you what route to take to try to get suspected SID under control, either to try first with prebiotics or if really bad, start with antibiotics.

M dog was diagnosed with EPI when she was 1+1/2 yrs old.... she is now 14+ yrs old, we have moved 6 times since we have had her which equals 6 new vets over the years and not 1 asked to re-run the TLI test..... as it is accepted that once they have EPI, they have EPI.

I do not understand why this vet is asking for you to re-do the test.... as far as i know, to-date..... there is no reason to re-do the old-TLI tests that were performed if the dog was clinically evaluated with EPI ... and... if the dog has been successfully treated for EPI for multiple years ........................

However, .if your dog was "subclinical EPI" then that would be different................. as near as they can tell (for now) about 50% of SEPI (sub-clinical EPI) dogs go on to develop EPI while the other 50% don't.........so then (and only then IMHO) is it worth re-testing.....

Might want to ask the vet "why" he feels the need to re-test a confirmed EPI dog....................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

KBarie
Pet name: Kona

Re: New Vet - Wants another TLI test

Post by KBarie » 24 Jul 2019, 11:18

I think I mixed up my tests. It’s a gastrointestinal lab they want to run that is sent to Texas A&M. Is it worth doing the test ($240) or should I ask to begin treatment with antibiotics without the test?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New Vet - Wants a gastrointestinal lab

Post by Jean » 24 Jul 2019, 12:56

WELCOME FROM THE UK

What is your name

ok

what do you mean you mixed them up

as my Girl got older she needed more enzymes, and constant antibiotics for SID/SIBO

can you tell us what enzymes you use and how much to say a cup of kibble

what breed is your dog, and why does the vet want another cTLI test

what were the original results from 7 yrs ago ?
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 24 Jul 2019, 18:05

Hello, I endorse the suggestions and questions everyone has asked. You mentioned that you haven’t had B12 tested, which is a separate test. After seven years of epi , I would assume that it must be low by now. I didn’t actually get my dog tested because it was obvious she had symptoms, and after her first shot she showed an amazing physical and mental recovery. B12 supports everything, and can help defend against sibo/Sid. I kept her on the suggested routine for the rest of her life. I would ask for the injections and order some tablets. Marti still needed regular antibiotics whenever she started the rumbling tum and stinky farts.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Jul 2019, 10:32

Welcome. I agree with not testing again for EPI. I would definitely keep up the B12 supplements and probably do a round of antibiotics for SID/SIBO. Our Kolby did not really thrive until we got his B12 levels up. I, too, am puzzled by the suggestion for another cTLI test.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 27 Jul 2019, 22:36

Before I spend that much money, I would make sure you've been supplementing B12 all these years, and if so, I would try upping the enzymes a tad. Many EPI dogs need their enzymes adjusted up a little bit as they get older - not sure why but we've seen it A LOT over the years. So, in my opinion, I would try upping the enzymes first, then if no change after a week I would ask for the Tylan and if no change after two weeks, then start considering the test. ALSO, might want to call the dog food company and make sure they haven't changed the formula of the food - this happened to me - they have a grace period where they don't have to change the label on the bags even though they've changed the formula.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.