Slippery Elm

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Slippery Elm

Post by Madelon » 17 Jul 2018, 19:48

Doc has been on the typical EPI poop roller coaster since he was diagnosed with mostly good poops. HOWEVER, I started him on Slippery Elm bark powder over a month ago and we have had the best, most consistent, perfect poops ever!! I did find that he does best on a reduced amount of SE then what is recommended - as we all know with EPI dogs, every dog is different and you have to do a bit of experimenting to find what works best for your dog.

The recommended dose for Doc's weight is 3/4tsp 2x a day but he does best on 1/2tsp 2x a day.

If you're interested in trying Slippery Elm, here's a link to our page with information on SE https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: Slippery Elm

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 18 Jul 2018, 07:44

Always found it to be a great addition to the EPI toolkit like Doc, Maddie did better if i only used a reduced amount twice a day with her food .
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Slippery Elm

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Jul 2018, 13:39

Same thing with my Izzy..... she does best on just a pinch less than the general recommendation.

Izzy has had EPI for 12 years now..... and in the past, when i noticed the poos getting "sloppy" for ore than just a day or two... i would give Tylan antibiotic (short-term) to curb the SID flare-up. Well, after dealing with EPI for so many years, i no longer freak out when a little upset happens, but instead for us, i found that if i give a pinch of Slippery Elm for a week or so..... that gets any gut flora imbalance back back in check:) Izzy's SE recommended dose is "¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lb"..... but i only give Izzy 1/8 tsp or sometimes even less.... and she actually now weighs 34lb :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........