Enzyme, how much should i give?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
cebanasd
Pet name: Cipi
My name: Dima

Enzyme, how much should i give?

Post by cebanasd » 04 Aug 2019, 07:40

Hello,

I have searched through the website about this information, but can't find it.

I have an 8 years old Cocker Spaniel with chronic pancreatitis and assumptions of EPI (we will make the tests soon, as we need to drive 500km away to make this). In the meantime, I want to give him Enzymes to help with his digestion. Because stool samples show that he had: neutral fat, starch, crystals, iodophilic flora, cellulose.

The question is: how much enzymes should I give him daily according to his weight, he had 11 kg (25 lb)? I feed him 4 times per day.

Thank you!

Hoosier
State: Indiana
Pet name: Shelby
My name: Sheila

Re: Enzyme, how much should i give?

Post by Hoosier » 04 Aug 2019, 09:57

I give my girl one tsp per cup of kibble. I feed her 1.5 cup kibble per meal 2x per day. So she gets 1.5 tsp of enzyme in each meal. I use enzymes from Diane. My dog does not or has not tested positive to EPI but does have a pancreas issue. The enzymes in each meal has saved her life.
I am Sheila and I am Shelby's mommy.
She is not EPI positive according to Dr. Barko from his TLI testing. But she does have a pancreas problem .
She is on 6x enzyme 1.5 tsp on each meal. She eats Forza 10 Sensitive Skin formula and gets 1.5 cups 2 x per day. She currently weighs just under 100 lbs. She takes B-12 (2)pills every other weekend. She suffers from yeast that I cannot get rid of. She gets 4 pills of antihistamine each day 2 with each meal.

Shelby left my world on November 19-2019 She will be forever missed and loved.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Aug 2019, 12:54

Welcome to the forum. What a stunning pup!
The starting point is 1 level teaspoon per 1 cup kibble.

The pup is given enzymes by amount of food and not weight of the pup.

Are you incubating the food and enzymes before feeding?

Since chronic pancreatitis eats away at the pancreas and other organs, the powdered enzymes are given to hopefully give the pancreas a rest.

Here is the link to the enzyme page:

https://epi4dogs.com/enzymes-in-brief/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 04 Aug 2019, 15:44

Welcome! A beautiful pup! As was already said, we usually suggest 1 teaspoon per cup of kibble. I also use Enzyme Diane's enzymes. You might also want to keep a log/journal of everything you giver your pup each day and the resulting poos. It saved our sanity at the beginning.

Barb

cebanasd
Pet name: Cipi
My name: Dima

Post by cebanasd » 04 Aug 2019, 16:04

Thanks, everyone for the feedback,

I feed him with home-cooked food and don't intend to go on kibble. He is getting around 460 grams of food daily.

I give him Mezym enzymes, 1 tablet has: lipase 10000 U, amylase 7500 U, protease 375 U, so how much tablets should I give him daily as a powder?

Thank you!

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Aug 2019, 19:11

The tablets are usually crushed and incubated with a little water and food for 15 to 20 minutes.
Is your home made food moist?
enzymediane.com, where a lot of folks get their enzymes as they are very affordable, has this listed as values for pancreatin 6x per 1 teaspoon:
Protease. 448,000 USP
Amylase 512,400 USP
Lipase 67,200 USP

Is your unit of measurement the same? Seems you would need a lot of tablets per meal to get the amount you would need with the lower amount per tablet., for 1 cup food.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 04 Aug 2019, 21:42

Hi and welcome to our forum. Unfortunately I am not familiar with that enzyme and I've tried to look up the conversion to make sure it is strong enough and I can't find the conversion. I highly recommend contact Suj with Chemeyes in the United Kingdom as she will likely be able to help you or ask your veterinarian for Creon 10,000 - you just want to be sure that whatever enzymes you are using meet the correct levels of lipase, amalyse and protease. Also, be sure you are supplementing B12 as EPI dogs need their B12 on the high side of normal 600+.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

TerryBin
Staff

Post by TerryBin » 05 Aug 2019, 01:06

Hello and Welcome! This is not going to be a straightforward answer for a couple of reasons. Most of us are used to using kibble and/or canned food and using cups in terms of measurement and then powder or tablet in a ratio. With a home cooked meal it's harder to know. But I'll give you my experience and maybe it will help you. Most people in the US use a powder form of enzymes. We have always used tablets (it is what the vet had when we needed them...were successful and so just continued). When we started it was 1 tablet per 1 cup kibble plus one for the bowl (so 2 cups kibble would get 3 tablets). Crushed them, added to food with a little water, let it sit about 10 minutes, stir and serve. As the pups have aged it has progressed so now we give 4 tablets per about 2 1/2 cups kibble plus about 3 ounces of cooked chicken or hamburger. We use PancreaPlus tablets which have per tablet: Lipase 9,000 USP units, Protease 57,000 USP units and Amylase 64,000 USP units. If you can get Creon that might make it easier (those you do not crush). I hope this helps. You may just have to play with it....watch the poops and adjust depending on poops and weight.
Currently 2 Shiloh Shepherd Pups! Two Shilohs that passed over the Rainbow Bridge.
Taiko was born 6 September 2006 and had EPI; she passed over the Rainbow Bridge 10 April 2019 NOT EPI-related.
Pharaoh born 24 November 2007 and had EPI. He passed September 2020 NOT EPI-related.
Moku born 15 April 2014 and was dx with EPI in January 2019.
Hoshi born 6 July 2019 and does not have EPI
Taiko and Pharaoh were half siblings through their sire; their sire is Moku's grandfather through his Mom. Moku and Hoshi have the same sire.
Moku uses PancreaPlus tablets and receives weekly B12 shots at home.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 05 Aug 2019, 04:35

welcome from the UK

that is one beautiful dog, and you live in what looks like a beautiful part of the world

I think Terry's answer sums it up

thats lousy that your vet is so far away , is there no one nearer ?

we have never fed home cooked, so I am not your best person

keep a diary on everything you do and let us know

if you do get the test, is 12 hours fasted of food, and ask for Cobalamin and folate to be tested at the same time

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx