Antibiotic

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
missopal75

Antibiotic

Post by missopal75 » 07 Aug 2019, 13:34

My baby had an anal gland obstruction last week and had it cleaned and was given an antibiotic that last for 2 weeks. Ever since than he has had bad poop and maybe 6-7 a day (mostly in the house). Is this normal for an antibiotic do cause him to go backwards? Nothing I've been doing has been helping or working. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW he was doing good before all this happened.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Antibiotic

Post by Jean » 07 Aug 2019, 14:19

which antibiotic is it
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

missopal75

Post by missopal75 » 07 Aug 2019, 14:22

I believe this is it: Convenia Injection

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 07 Aug 2019, 14:39

ADVERSE REACTIONS: DogsA total of 320 dogs, ranging in age from 8 weeks to 19 years, were included in a field study safety analysis. Adverse reactions reported in dogs treated with CONVENIA and the active control are summarized in Table 2.Table 2: Number of Dogs* with Adverse Reactions Reported During the Field Study with CONVENIAAdverse ReactionCONVENIAActive Control(n=157)(n=163)Lethargy2 7Anorexia/Decreased Appetite5 8 Vomiting612 Diarrhea6 7 Blood in Feces12Dehydration01Flatulence10Increased Borborygmi10* Some dogs may have experienced more than one adverse reaction or more than one occurrence of the same adverse reaction during the study.Mild to moderate elevations in serum gamma glutamyl transferase or serum alanine aminotransferase were noted post-treatment in several of the CONVENIA-treated dogs. No clinical abnormalities were noted with these findings.One CONVENIA-treated dog in a separate field study experienced diarrhea post-treatment lasting four weeks. The diarrheah resolved

this is from their website

so its possible that this has caused the loose stools

I personally, have never heard of this, and would prefer tablets that you can stop straight away, however, this is a very long lasting injection, lasting up to 14 days, and obviously be useful

it sounds like it has upset the apple cart, and the gut, and maybe needs some sort of counter effective drug, e.g . Ibuprophen ONLY IN HUMANS

you need to take Lansoprazole to counter the effects

never give Ibuprophen to dogs

pleasae ask your vet

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

missopal75

Post by missopal75 » 07 Aug 2019, 14:44

so that makes sense - he's a little over a week into it and the symptoms started probably about 5 days ago - guess i need to call my vet and see what they can give him now because of all this. I'm just so distort over this he was finally doing good, and then this happens and i have to start all over again. Does this ever get any easier to deal with?

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 07 Aug 2019, 14:47

i have referred this to Olesia our founder and researcher, she is good

and it DOES get better

I had to have all of my Shepherds anal glands removed surgically

too distressing all round

Jeanx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

missopal75

Post by missopal75 » 07 Aug 2019, 14:58

Thank you for your help, it's good to know that i didn't do anything wrong to cause him going backwards. I've contacted my vet to see if there is something i can give him to help with the diarrhea. It's also good to know that it will get better, not sure how long it will take to get him back on track because it took awhile to get him in a good spot as it was.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Aug 2019, 15:55

Hi ... so sorry this is happening..... Jean gave you excellent suggestions and advice and the most important thing is for you to call your vet and let them know what is happening... as this does indeed sound like an adverse reaction.

Ask the vet what can be done to counter this reaction and to try something different.

And yes it DOES get better... sometimes you just have to navigate around a few bumps in the road.... but it is well worth it if it helps you learn what your dog can and cannot tolerate.... so keep good records of EVERYTHING you give your pup and the reactions.... these "notes" over time will be the best diagnostic tool and greatly help you best manage your pup!

If it helps any, My gal developed EPI at 1+1/2 yr old,- -she is now over 14 years old!
Since EPI , she developed juvenile incontinence, rocky mtn spotted fever, central brain inflammation, Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia, Diabetes, is blind and pretty much deaf now too and has Low Thyroid,,,,,,,,,,,so... we have had OUR bumps in the road..... BUT although she sleeps a lot now... when she is awake, she is the most joyful and happiest dog ever... she has a great sense of humor and a "can do" attitude.........and after all that went wrong with her.- -she was still easier to care for than my other dog is has nothing else wrong with her except for allergies (allergies are the worst IMHO!!!) .... My EPI Izzy it was more than worth it all....she was most manageable and the joy she has given me far exceeds any other dog i have ever had.............and she is one ver, very happy dog!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 08 Aug 2019, 13:46

Hi. I am really sorry you are going through this. I have not heard of this antibiotic, but you've received excellent advice about speaking to your vet and finding out if there is something you can give him to counteract the reaction. Please let us know how he does.

And yes, it will get better. It often takes a while to get everything balanced. It is so worth it. Our Kolby is 10+ years old and has been through so many things, but always has a smile for us......and a ball!

Hang in.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Aug 2019, 23:33

Hi there. I'm so sorry you're having this set back. In my opinion it seems a lot of the set backs that occur are not directly related to EPI. In four years I've had a few set backs - food sensitivities and environmental allergies (yep they can affect poop); food companies discontinuing foods or changing ingredients (major set back) and STRESS. With all that being said - I wouldn't change a thing. Doc's EPI has been a blessing in a way to me because it allowed me to realize a strength and courage I never had - to be his advocate; it allowed me to meet some of the most amazing people ever (even if only online) and has educated me on much more than EPI. Please let us know what the vet says.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.