1/4 versus 1/2 teaspoon

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
IzzyandLeo

1/4 versus 1/2 teaspoon

Post by IzzyandLeo » 24 Aug 2019, 18:33

I’ve been giving my Izzy 1/4 teaspoon of EnzymeDiane with 1/2 cup of kibble three times a day for over a month. She has done so much better with the enzymes (even though she didn’t test positive for EPI - just very low normal). Her gas and diarrhea is much better and she has gained weight back.

However, she still often has mucus in her stool. Not liquidy or jelly-like as it was before we started the enzymes - now the mucus is sort of smooth, spongy/firm, and light tan - either at the end of what started as a good stool - or in the middle of what would have been a good stool. Is the mucus part of EPI?

I’m wondering if I should increase her enzymes to 1/2 teaspoon per 1/2 cup of kibble. I’m just scared that giving her too much enzyme could cause her problems and set her back, and that I should leave well enough alone.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: 1/4 versus 1/2 teaspoon

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Aug 2019, 18:56

The starting point for enzymes is 1 teaspoon per 1 cup dry kibble. Did you ever give 1/2 teasp per 1/2 cup kibble?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

IzzyandLeo

Post by IzzyandLeo » 24 Aug 2019, 19:22

Hi Jill - thank you for responding. I have not yet given Izzy 1/2 teaspoon with her 1/2 cup kibble. I first started her on 1/8 and then increased to 1/4. I’m considering increasing to 1/2 due to the mucus in her stool. I didn’t know if I had to worry that it might be too much for her - other than the mucus she is doing very well.

Is the mucus (I assume it is mucus) part of EPI - if not, then increasing the enzymes wouldn’t help that.

Also, is it normal to hear a lot of tummy rumbles after eating?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Aug 2019, 21:11

I would go ahead and step up to the recommended 1/2 teaspoon enzyme to 1/2 cup kibble.

Is your pup on any antibiotics for SID (small intestinal disease)which would cause tummy rumblings?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.