Only Just begun our EPI path

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
pnh2859
State: Florida
Pet name: Odis
My name: Paula Hudson

Only Just begun our EPI path

Post by pnh2859 » 26 Aug 2019, 15:08

Hi, my name is Paula and Odis our 5 1/2 yo GSD is believed to have EPI, blood will be drawn tomorrow.

The vet is currently having us give him 500 mg Metronidazole and 1 capsule Proviable-DC daily.
I am giving him his regular wet grain-free kibbles with 1/2 can of Tripett's green tripe after trying cooked ground beef and
turkey with rice or baked russet potato. Since I have boxed beef stock I am adding this
to the kibbles since he had always had dried kibbles. The some of the rice was being passed in the stools. He normally ate
twice a day, I have added a few more small meals since he had lost 16# since Memorial Day.

I need guidance as I start this path.

Thank you,
Paula Hudson
My name is Paula and I live in the panhandle of Florida. I have one dog: Odis a 5 1/2 yrs GS, he is our 5th GS in 45 yrs. Odis started having EPI symptons 4 weeks ago and we are treating him as if he has EPI while blood results come in.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Only Just begun our EPI path

Post by Jean » 26 Aug 2019, 15:14

hi Paula

as soon as you have the results we can help

so welcome, and you now have a map for your journey

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Aug 2019, 15:17

Hi Paula, just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

pnh2859

Post by pnh2859 » 26 Aug 2019, 15:44

I know that we need a B12 level from the blood work, anything else?
Anything I should ask the vet till the results come back?

Thank you,
My name is Paula and I live in the panhandle of Florida. I have one dog: Odis a 5 1/2 yrs GS, he is our 5th GS in 45 yrs. Odis started having EPI symptons 4 weeks ago and we are treating him as if he has EPI while blood results come in.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 26 Aug 2019, 16:20

the blood work for the b12 should come along with the cTLI test results

my only thoughts here is that you are feeding rice, rice often does not go well with either gastric, or EPI , the baked potato is fine

there isnt anything you can do till the results

Jean

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 Aug 2019, 13:29

Dear Paula,

Let us know when you get the results and what the numbers are. I assume you fasted your pup for 12 hours. We'll be here to help with any questions you have.

Barb

pnh2859

Post by pnh2859 » 29 Aug 2019, 21:18

Our numbers are in.

Well, first let me say that my vets are GREAT! They say we caught it unusually early.
B12 173
Folate 10.7
TLI 1.1

We are back to kibbles with 2t Viokase-V on each meal, 500 Metronidazole daily, 1 Proviable daily, 2 WonderLabs B12 daily and 2 B12 injections a week for the next 2 weeks, then 1 a week for 3 weeks and then hopefully once a month. They would love him to eat plain greek yogurt daily, good thing he loves yogurt. I also split a can of tripe between the 2 main feedings.

Because of your discussions and information I was able to go into the consult with some knowledge. Thank you

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 30 Aug 2019, 04:38

ok

the b12 is horribly low

the protocol used to be weekly injections for between 6-12 weeks, we had them for 12, however you are supplementing with the Wonderlabs capsules

the folate is within parataters

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/b12folate

the rule of thumb here, is one teaspoon powdered enzyme per cup of food (kibble) incubated for 20-30 minutes with luke warm water

if there has been significant weight loss give 150% of the recommended on the bag of food, and if you can, feed several meals over the day all enzymed

As costs here are often discussed, look at Enzyme Diane

https://enzymediane.com/

most of our US members use them

the yogurt must be enzymed, or added to food , my girl loved it, eaten just after her meal

so which kibble are you using

and keep a journal/diary

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/

Metronidazole is a drug not to be used at length, Tylan is much safer, and used for Small Intestinal Dysbiosis

https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-in-brief/

this must be kept in check as it depletes the b12

have a read of this

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-quick-guide-usa/

you now have a map for your journey

Please ask anything

Jean

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

pnh2859

Post by pnh2859 » 30 Aug 2019, 07:53

Thank you

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 30 Aug 2019, 08:34

please take care with the hurricane

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx