Only Just begun our EPI path

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Louelle
Pet name: Elle
My name: Lou

Re: Only Just begun our EPI path

Post by Louelle » 31 Aug 2019, 02:07

Hi my 1 year old SWD just been confirmed with EPI through blood tests 2 days ago. Vet has not discussed B12 or foliar only enzymes and antibiotics. Been given Lipex but was looking at Panzym on line. Jean I see you are in the UK and use this can you give me any info or a star on what is best have you tried both. Sorry for all question just a bit overwhelming but glad to find people to share with and will keep an eye on this thread hopefully we can support as at a similar stage

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Aug 2019, 09:17

Hi and welcome to the forum. Did your pup have the B12 tested or no?

What food are you feeding?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Louelle

Post by Louelle » 01 Sep 2019, 01:22

They did not talk about that just that they had epi. They did not talk numbers. I'm feeding hills science zd the hypoalargenic on only because vet was trying to determine food allergy before the epi diagnoses

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 Sep 2019, 04:23

Louelle

I will send you my phone number

0151 726 1468

give me a ring
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Louelle

Post by Louelle » 01 Sep 2019, 06:44

Hi
Thanks for the number. I will give you a call later but bit of good news this morning although I know it's still early. We started lypex and antibiotics in Friday night no change in poo yesterday last poo at 12.30 PM yesterday and a bit worried as used to lots more recently and then this morning at 10 am she produced a perfect poo that could be picked up :D

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Sep 2019, 09:24

Give Jean a call. She is great!
Nice to see a perfect poop!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 01 Sep 2019, 13:40

Hello Louella, from Sheffield
So relieved you’ve got a turn around already on Lypex.
It would be really useful if you could continue your thread as a ‘new topic’ , then you keep your own details together. Pardon my ignorance but what is a SWD?
You could list your results and doseages on your signature when you have time to work it out. Also how much your pet weighs .We were all completely panic stricken with our dogs at first. Mine wasn’t diagnosed for a few months, so was in a very bad way, but the enzymes saved her in time. When I found the forum just after Olesia started it, her information helped me and my vet treat treat her correctly with B12, the right food, antibiotics, and the quantity of enzymes. Marti was 17 kilos when she should have weighed 24kgs, and had 2 Lypex per meal, 3 times daily at first.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 Sep 2019, 13:42

Patsy I think its Spanish Water Dog
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Sep 2019, 21:26

Hi Paula and welcome to our EPI family - I'm so sorry you have to be here but given some of the other conditions that can affect our dogs, EPI is not that bad once diagnosed and treatment started.

There are four cornerstones to properly managing EPI: 1) Enzymes - most of us use EnzymeDiane Pancreatin 6x as it's much less expensive than the vet prescribed enzymes - starting dose is 1tsp per cup of kibble, mix with luke warm water, mix with kibble and sit 20-30 minutes before serving; 2) B12 - your's is VERY low - I'm not sure I would be doing the pills and shots at this point, we typically recommend following the Texas A & M shot protocol and then switching to the pills - supplementing B12 is for life with these dogs; 3) Antibiotics - we recommend Tylan for 45 days and slowly wean off as it is much gentler and does not have the possible harsh side effects as Metronidazole - also Tylan does not kill all of the gut bacteria the way Metro does; 4) Food - the trickiest part - we recommend grain free 4% fiber or less - feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be but in smaller more frequent meals until they reach their goal weight.

As for yougart/probiotics - we do not recommend giving these when first diagnosed - there's no way to know if they work or not and while trying to get your pup stable it's best to keep things simple. Additionally, recent research has shown that EPI dogs have too much of the lactobacillus strain which is in most yougarts and probiotics and too much can be a bad thing.

Keep us posted on how things are going
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.