Lyra is loosing weight fast. F word!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Paulag
Pet name: Lyra
My name: Paula

Re: Lyra is loosing weight fast. F word!

Post by Paulag » 31 Aug 2019, 08:13

We got a decent poop today with the new food. I think it’s the food!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Aug 2019, 09:44

Did you stick with the grain free?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Aug 2019, 10:07

which food is this from
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 03 Sep 2019, 13:52

Thank heaven for good poop! I lost track of which food it is that is giving the good poo.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Sep 2019, 21:09

Hi Paula. I know how scared you are - we've all been there either before diagnosis or during a relapse after diagnosis. Try as hard as you can not to stress too much because I'm a big believer your dog will sense it and in turn might also get stressed which won't help the tummy situation.

First, I would go back to basics - trust me I have had to do this several times with my boy over the years in order to figure things out. Go back to the food that was working (while we suggest grain free - some EPI dogs need grains), cut out the slippery elm and just give food with enzymes, B12 and Tylan. Be sure you are giving the correct dose of Tylan. When you go back to the basics and original food if you see improvement - but not perfect - just stick with it - it takes a while for the food to leave their system completely. If you don't see improvement then I would try switching the Tylan for Metronidazole. Most EPI dogs do well on Tylan but we have had some that only responded to Metronidazole (just keep a close eye for neurological side effects).

Is there a reason for Creon instead of powder enzymes? The Creon can take some time to figure out and adjust exactly right. If you haven't already, cut up some carrot to put in with the next meal and then watch for it in the poop - this will tell you your dog's transition time and that will help you in the future to know if the poop you are looking at is from the last meal or 2 days ago - very handy when you are making a change to their routine and trying to figure out if the change works or not.

Hang in there!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Paulag

Post by Paulag » 03 Sep 2019, 21:33

Hi, yes i switched to a grain free food with salmon. It’s taken three weeks with 1/4tsp Tylan twice a day but it’s getting there. I cut her to one 10000 capsules per 1 1/4 cup kibble three times a day. With a waiting period of 10 minutes. Seems better then two capsules. A lady on FB EPI told me sometimes two can be too much. Seen the vet today. Lyra is 50pds. She has lost 4.4pds since aug 13th but her poop is getting better so the vet says to persevere till 45 days on tylosin. We are finished week three of tylosin.
Madelon, I am the one with the crazy allergies to enzymes. That’s why I switched to Creon.
I am praying to god I can get her stable. I also got Adventi GI today. Pre and probiotic for her.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Sep 2019, 22:09

You are not crazy!! Allergies are the worst - both for us humans and our pets. Yes too much enzyme can be as bad as too little enzyme - glad you are seeing some improvement! Keep us posted
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Sep 2019, 14:45

I hope Lyra is feeling better now---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Paulag

Post by Paulag » 08 Sep 2019, 10:59

Lyra is mostly stable now. Just trying to get weight back on. Cotazym seems to be regulated. Feed 4 1/2 cups a day. She poop three or four times a day. But they are mostly solid now

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Sep 2019, 11:20

Thank you for the great report!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.