Sid after a round of antibiotics ?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Cheryl
Pet name: Amber
My name: Cheryl

Sid after a round of antibiotics ?

Post by Cheryl » 06 Sep 2019, 08:13

Amber has been doing so well that I have not visited on here for at least a year. Last month the vet prescribed antibiotics after her bloodwork showed some infection - not known where. About 7-10 days later, Amber's stools started being soft, then wet , now smelly ( undigested) . I know the antibiotics can cause GI upsets but I'm at a loss of what to do about it . I have upped the enzymes but it's not helping . I have tried probiotics in the past and they make her stools soft ,even just a pinch of probiotics will do it . I guess what I need to know is : can we give Tylan after she's had other antibiotics or will this do damage ?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Sid after a round of antibiotics ?

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Sep 2019, 09:44

An antibiotic like Metro can kill the good bacteria as well as the bad. Tylan is a good choice, much milder.

Just keep in mind that too much enzyme can have the same effect as too little.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 06 Sep 2019, 13:44

i would also start on Tylan

what about b12, are you supplementing ?

what was the antibiotic
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » 10 Sep 2019, 07:51

My vet does not carry Tylan and is seemingly unaware of it . I'm in Canada . Her antibiotic was based on her bloodwork with a possible tooth infection. I don't normally like antibiotics but because she is epileptic and her seizures have gotten worse, I wondered if that was the issue . In any case, I am giving her the probiotic YGIA , that the vet suggested and feeding a bland diet ( cooked) as opposed to the raw she was on . The poop has gotten better . I am giving Wonderlabs B12.
Once I return to the states, I will get some Tylan to have around altho we haven't needed it for a good long time, maybe 2 years . Once I knew ( trial & error) that she needs a low fiber food , she has been very good in the poop department . It's extremely hard to find a low fiber kibble however. She had been on Forza10 Legend for 2 years but it made her skin greasy and stinky . That's why I switched her to raw . Thanks

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » 10 Sep 2019, 07:55

Jean wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 13:44 i would also start on Tylan

what about b12, are you supplementing ?

what was the antibiotic
not Metro ( gives her seizures ) but I think an Amoxicillin type . Jean, I'm very sorry for the loss of your pup.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 10 Sep 2019, 08:16

Firstly, Cheryl thank you for your kind words about Kara, stable with EPI to the end

maybe Oxetracycline , use to work for us, I will ask around the other Canadian folk to see where they get Tylan from

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

D Sloan
State: Ohio

Post by D Sloan » 10 Sep 2019, 08:52

Tylan is non rx in Canada from my understanding so you should be able to get it OTC. https://www.petsdrugmart.ca/Product/Tyl ... 20900/3550 was one that I googled not sure if it is the best price.
Some dogs are on Tylan for life to keep things regulated.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 10 Sep 2019, 08:59

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 10 Sep 2019, 09:42

Hi, we're in Canada and got Tylan from our vet. The first time the vet pharmacy compounded it (put the power into capsules for us) and it cost a lot more (twice the cost) for that service. The next time we got the powder in a bottle (still not what I would call a cheap drug) and we put it in capsules ourselves. It's bitter and Finn would never take it if not in capsule form. We ordered empty capsules off Amazon. I know you can buy certain meds used in the farming industry at places like TSC stores, but I thought you had to prove you are a farmer.

We've had Finn on low dose Tylan long-term. He was on Baytril recently for a UTI, and it put him completely off his food and water. Even getting probiotics during that course of antibiotics caused the SIBO to come back and he had been doing well for a long time prior to that too. Although he never got true diarrhea, the poops were softer and smelly. We had to increase his Tylan dosage again. We transitioned him onto raw from cooked at the time, so his poop adjusted for that change too but the last couple days his poop is incredibly dry/hard. No smell. It didn't take that long to turn him around.

The problem with him is, if he smells a supplement (probiotic etc) on his food that he doesn't like the smell of (and it can only be a pinch), he will refuse to eat and waste a bunch of food. I started giving him is raw goat milk and thankfully he loves it. It's said to help restore good digestive gut bacteria and I don't know if that's what did it (with the help of Tylan) but Finn's not showing signs of SIBO anymore. He was also having GERD symptoms and GI upset, and he's not now. It's hard to know what will work for one dog but not work for another.

Finn has horrible broken teeth too, so I'm surprised he doesn't get a tooth infection. Did the antibiotics help clear the infection (wherever it was)?
Adopted Finn 4 years ago. He's 7 maybe 8 years old? Reoccurring diarrhea, picky eater and loss of appetite from day 1. Low B12 causing hind-end weakness in July 2017. B12 injections didn't help his appetite, diarrhea or energy like we thought they should have. I found this wonderful forum and learned about EPI, which he doesn’t have, and SIBO/SID which he does have. On Tylosin and B12 pills with intrinsic factor long-term. Blood clot in his left femoral artery in July 2018, which Clopidogrel and Xareltro helped clear up, also long-term. Latest problems since fall 2018 are food sensitivities and (misdiagnosed) UTI causing incontinence.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 10 Sep 2019, 12:56

thank you so much for all of your input, I have no idea being thousands of miles away

and do not rub your eyes after you handle Tylan, it hurts ! and yes I have tasted it, got to be done

Jeanx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx