New member introduction

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jordieboy
State: Vermont
Pet name: Rosie
My name: Jennifer

New member introduction

Post by jordieboy » 06 Sep 2019, 21:24

Hi everyone,

Long, long ago, I had a foster collie with EPI named Jordie. I joined the yahoo EPI global group back then, and with their support and help, Jordie went from 38 pounds to about 60 pounds (where he should have been), regrew his coat, and became a happy, healthy boy. He was adopted by a family with a Saluki that also had EPI, so they knew what he needed to live a good life. This is a long-winded way of saying I know what EPI looks like, and I'm really suspicious my collie girl, Rosie, has it.

Two weeks ago, she started having diarrhea, her appetite went from her normal "meh, maybe I'll eat today" to "GIVE ME ALL THE FOODS!", and our sheltie suddenly found Rosie's smelly, squishy yellow poop delicious. Ugh. At first, I figured she might have had a dietary indiscretion and figured she would be back to normal in a couple days. Well, it's been two weeks and the smart part of my subconscious finally got a word in edgewise with my conscious brain and said "EPI, you dingbat!" So, off to the vet on Monday for a fasting blood test and whatever else the vet deems important (B12, Folate), etc. I'm hoping I'm wrong, and that it's just an easily treated infection, but I don't think so. The smell triggered memories...

So anyway, Hi! I'm so glad this forum exists!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: New member introduction

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Sep 2019, 23:36

Hi Jennifer and welcome. Let us know the results when you get them.
For sure have the B12 checked and folate is good.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

jordieboy

Post by jordieboy » 07 Sep 2019, 10:13

Thank you! I figure I'll know for sure late this coming week and I'll let everyone know. Since my memory of Jordie clicked in, I've been rethinking Rosie's behavior for the last month or so (less laying on her back for tummy rubs, more burping, more gas, more interest in the kitchen table and countertop) and realizing that the bigger, "regular" poops that I'd been picking up and rationalizing as coming from my bigger collie boy were probably hers and the first indications of Rosie's maldigestion. Although, even if I realized there was a problem earlier, her symptoms were so mild and unspecific (fewer tummy rubs?) that I would have felt awkward taking her to the vet at that point. That is no longer the case!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 07 Sep 2019, 10:52

welcome from the UK

It sure sounds like a maybe case of EPI

Please let us know the results

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 09 Sep 2019, 11:09

Good for you for putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. Let us know what the results of the test are.

Barb

jordieboy

Post by jordieboy » 09 Sep 2019, 13:38

Thank you. Rosie had blood drawn today to test her general stats plus TLI, B-12, and folate levels, got a B-12 shot, and some canned prescription food that my vet thought would be helpful until we get her results back. The vet thought EPI was most likely, giardia was possible and that Addison’s was a less likely but possible cause of her troubles. If the TLI test comes back normal, we’ll go down the list.

Now, to wait a couple days...

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 09 Sep 2019, 14:09

thats the hard part

let us know

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Sep 2019, 21:59

Hi! Wow - so glad you recognize the symptoms and even if not EPI, could be some other type of maldigestion. These dogs have a way of finding us :) . Keep us posted on the results.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

jordieboy

Re: New member introduction/UPDATE

Post by jordieboy » 12 Sep 2019, 17:30

Okay, EPI is confirmed. Rosie's bloodwork came back today and her TLI is <1, her Cobalamin is 197, and her Folate is elevated. Two of her liver values were also slightly high, with her AST at 89 (normal is <66) and her ALT at 322 (normal <118). Her vet wants her on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat for 6 weeks, plus weekly B-12 injections for 6 weeks (then monthly). She is also on a week of Metronidazole. She started on Diane's enzymes on Tuesday and had her first semi-normal poop in several weeks yesterday!

I'm hoping to find a low fiber food that she enjoys after the 6 weeks of prescription diet. I'm also hoping that since we figured this out quite early (Rosie has only lost 4 pounds, from 53 to 49), that stopping the loss and regaining weight will be a relatively smooth process. I know every dog is different, but I'm an optimist!

Does anyone have a good suggestions for enzymed treats I can make? My guys live for snacks a couple times a day, and I can't do that if Rosie can't join in. Then again, our Sheltie is a sausage. She's on anti-seizure meds that make her eat everything in sight, except pickles. Perhaps a more regimented diet would be good for the other dogs, too!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Sep 2019, 09:08

You might run it by your vet but there is no reason to restrict fat. Unless there is a different condition that requires low fat. Grain free diets seem to work best as grains can inhibit the actions of enzymes. Look for diets with 4% fiber and under. Here is a list from our site:

https://epi4dogs.com/dog-food-options/

Good for starting on the B12 shots. Here is a link to B12 caps with Intrinsic Factor from Wonderlabs to supplement:

https://epi4dogs.com/b12-in-brief-2/

Sometimes the liver enzymes are elevated in Epi before protocol is started. Keep an eye on them.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.