Looking for a Vet versed in EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Amber

Looking for a Vet versed in EPI

Post by Amber » 22 Jul 2018, 12:04

Sorry if this topic has been covered . I'm having a heck of a time just finding my way on this website . My Amber just had bloodwork done and has shown some anemia but of the blood components that point to B12 deficiency . So I will increase the sups, of course but it also showed low blood sugar . She's been lethargic lately and has been demanding of food . No weight loss , in fact, she has always been overweight . She is also epileptic and those drugs increase appetite . OK, so I wasn't alerted to the low blood sugar because she always acts like I starve her but her lethargy prompted me to do the follow up bloodwork which was due anyway . My Vet shows no concern about the hypoglycaemia but I've started feeding smaller but more frequently in case this is a true finding . Different things go thru my mind such as insulinoma but now I read that low B12 can also cause hypoglycaemia . So, has anyone come across this ? and I would like to find another Vet more knowledgable . This one asked me if I was still giving the enzymes . Duh ...I live in the Niagara region of Ontario but would travel to a vet if I found a good one . Thanks and hello everyone
My name is Cheryl and Amber is my dog . Amber suffered acute pancreatitis in Oct 2014. This led to EPI with a TLI <1 . She's doing well on cooked foods and Forza10 Legend - a low fiber kibble . She's on enzyme diane 8x and a myriad of vitamins/minerals . She also takes a powdered pancreas glandular supplement which has helped her digestion of any new foods such as organs which she could not previously tolerate . Amber is also epileptic and on meds .

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Looking for a Vet versed in EPI

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jul 2018, 12:28

Hi Amber- -glad you were able to get on. .... but .... OMG!!! He asked if you were still giving enzymes? Yikes. Yep, i think i'd check around for a different vet.
The thing about vets is that it doesn't matter if they "initially" know much about EPI, but what you do want is a vet that gets rave reviews from others (local town people etc) that is known for really listening to the pet owner and willing to have conversations with the pet owner. The ones that are willing to learn if they don't have the latest knowledge about something.... AND/OR... the ones that do have EPI knowledge but are willing to learn more about recent EPI research findings...............

Regarding the lethargy....low blood sugar, anemia...... i do not mean to frighten you.... but based on what you are saying.... the very next time your pup pees... see if you can catch some in a white bowl or cup... IF the pee looks rusty brown..... you might want to bring your pup to the vet, any vet sooner rather than later.......the ONLY reason why i am mentioning this is that one "possibility" is IMHA- -but if the pee does not look rusty brown - - then just ignore what i am telling you. The only reason why i am mentioning this is because this is what happened to my gal and it started with lethargy... and then everything else. Does NOT mean that this is what is going on, i am just mentioning it just in case.......

The other thing that should be checked with the above is low Thyroid.... this too can trigger the above.......

And of course possible Diabetes.
However, please know that i do not know if/when or how Epilepsy can affect the blood sugar, etc.......... i am jsut mentioning some of the stuff that i am familiar with..........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Judith
State: Delaware

Post by Judith » 22 Jul 2018, 13:11

Hi

In addition to what Olesia suggested, the other condition that sticks out is Addison's disease. Dogs ofter present with hypoglycemia and anemia along with various other symptoms that can come and go (lethargy, hind end weakness, upset tummy). What did her kidney values look like?
Nate and Raymi's mom
Nate 4 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
EPI, typical Addison's disease and epilepsy
TLI 2.0 June 2016
Chemeyes enzyme capsules
Hydroxocobalamin injections weekly
0.5mg prednisolone daily for Addison's
Percorten-V/Zycortal injection every 28 days for Addison's
Zonisamide 2x for epilepsy

Raymi 6 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Allergic to chicken and turkey

Eats Canine Caviar Venison kibble 3x

Nate and Raymi happily live in Bogotá, Colombia and Dover, Delaware.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jul 2018, 15:21

Thanks Judith ... i so appreciate your knowledge of Addison's... as we do see a fair amount of EPI dogs also battling Addisons... so your input is very helpful !
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 22 Jul 2018, 15:53

Hi Cheryl!! I'm glad Olesia and Judith have chimed in. Here is a link to a list of vets that members have recommended - I'm geographically challenged so I have no idea if any are near you or not https://epi4dogs.com/recommended-vets/
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Amber

Post by Amber » 22 Jul 2018, 17:35

• Thank you everyone . This Vet is supposed to be quite up on the latest and is considered holistic . She doesn't seem concerned tho .
    To answer : her urine is concentrated but more yellow than brown . If diabetes, I would have expected high thirst and weight loss . But I will follow up with a glucomèter . Her kidney values are good . It's the MCV and MCH that are high . Which meant nothing to me but reading up, I see that it is related to B12. B12 seems to control a lot . Complication are the anti epileptic drugs that can increase the liver values and cause anemia .

Amber is actually my dog's name but the site said to put in a user name. Didn't realize that meant me . LOL . I'm beginning to suspect that the B12 deficiency is the culprit but I will follow up on the red flagged items on her bloodwork . Aside from this, her stools have been perfect , finally after years of trying . If it helps anyone, fiber turned out to be the determining factor . Low fiber is a must for her . I appreciate the input from everyone because there's always something one doesn't think about . Dealing with Vets is a little like dealing with your family Dr . It takes a lot of visits for them to get to know you.Unfortunately , $$ is a factor for my vet visits . So many prior to EPI as she exhibited symptoms of pancreatitis and liver disease . Had they tested for B12, I might have avoided many heartaches . I'll check the vet list but if I remember - few in Canada .
My name is Cheryl and Amber is my dog . Amber suffered acute pancreatitis in Oct 2014. This led to EPI with a TLI <1 . She's doing well on cooked foods and Forza10 Legend - a low fiber kibble . She's on enzyme diane 8x and a myriad of vitamins/minerals . She also takes a powdered pancreas glandular supplement which has helped her digestion of any new foods such as organs which she could not previously tolerate . Amber is also epileptic and on meds .

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jul 2018, 21:00

Hi Cheryl... sorry i was calling you Amber..... you handled your profile set up correctly- -it can be anything you want.... i just assumed that Amber might be your name. My bad.

Good to hear that the urine is more concentrated yellow vs. rusty brown... huge relief!

Holistoc vets can bring a lot to the table... except when it comes to EPI specifically... too many of them do not give enzymes the priority they should in treating EPI..... but on the flip side.... many times they work wonders with so many other health concerns. I personally have moved multiple times, so often i have had to find a new vet. i try to seek one out that is not only a good traditional vet but one that also is open to some holistic techniques too.. I just think there is a place for both depending on the circumstances :)

To get a good understanding of MCV & MCH values.... might want to read about it here:
https://www.2ndchance.info/dxme-MCV.htm
https://www.2ndchance.info/dxme-MCH.htm
https://www.2ndchance.info/dxme-MCHC.htm

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 23 Jul 2018, 14:14

A warm welcome to you, Cheryl, and Amber.

You have already received excellent advice, but I wanted to welcome you. It is not easy dealing with concurrent conditions, but you sound like you are handling it very well, as do many of our members here.

Let us know how Amber is doing.

Barb

Sparkle Tangerine
Pet name: Montgomery

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 23 Jul 2018, 19:18

I'm here in Ontario. I don't know how far you want to travel, but Montgomery's veterinarian is truly awesome. Her name is Sheri Sime and she's at the Gorham Animal Hospital (905) 895-4552. You wouldn't believe the odd creatures we've brought her way (we work with a tiny cat rescue) and she's been amazing.
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jul 2018, 22:56

I'm here in Ontario. I don't know how far you want to travel, but Montgomery's veterinarian is truly awesome. Her name is Sheri Sime and she's at the Gorham Animal Hospital (905) 895-4552. You wouldn't believe the odd creatures we've brought her way (we work with a tiny cat rescue) and she's been amazing.

Thank you for giving your vets name to Cheryl .... that was very kind and thoughtful of you!