Asking for prayers

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
IzzyandLeo

Asking for prayers

Post by IzzyandLeo » 11 Sep 2019, 09:50

After finally getting Izzy a covered bile duct stent so she remains unblocked, and getting her on enzymes and seeing her gain weight and strength and being so happy and playful - we got a report yesterday that she has carcinoma - a node in her liver and in two abdominal lymph nodes. Probably biliary. We will be seeing an oncologist and interventional radiologist.

Izzy is extremely sweet and gentle and loving. A very special little girl. I ask for your prayers for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Asking for prayers

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Sep 2019, 09:58

Anne, I am so sorry to read of Izzy's diagnosis. Hugs and prayers coming your way.
I am wondering if CBD oil is legal where you live?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Sep 2019, 10:20

Ann,
I am so so sorry to hear this..... prayers being said for your sweet Izzy!

I tried doing some research on what might be some of the latest gastric carcinoma treatments (liver/abdomen) and aside from radiology, which it sounds like you are already going to look into with the oncologist........i found a recent article/research that they found that Quercetin may actually help to some degree with bone cancer which might also be applicable with gastric carcinoma treatment.

In any case.... i am attaching the abstract of the research in case you might want to show the oncologist and see if it is worth giving Izzy this supplement... or not. The article is titled "Quercetin augments apoptosis of canine osteosarcoma cells by disrupting mitochondria membrane potential and regulating PKB and MAPK signal transduction" the ink to the article is:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcb.29009

Abstract

Osteosarcoma is a mesenchymal malignant bone tumor accompanied by a high rate of lung metastasis and short survival in dogs. Although various therapies have been reported, the etiological mechanism of osteosarcoma remains undetermined and the development of novel therapeutic agents is warranted. In this study, we have reported the diverse functions of quercetin, one of the well‐known flavonoid, in D‐17 and DSN (canine osteosarcoma) cell lines. Current results indicate that quercetin decreases proliferative properties and increases programmed cell death, in addition to altering the cell cycle, mitochondrial depolarization, level of reactive oxygen species, and concentration of cytoplasmic calcium in both cells. Furthermore, it was observed that quercetin suppresses phosphorylation of AKT, P70S6K, and S6 proteins and upregulates phosphorylation of ERK1 or 2, P38, c‐Jun N‐terminal kinase, and P90RSK proteins in both cell lines. Collectively, we suggest that quercetin can be used as a pharmacological agent for suppressing the proliferation and inducing the apoptosis of canine osteosarcoma cells.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

IzzyandLeo

Post by IzzyandLeo » 11 Sep 2019, 11:40

Thank you both so much. I am gathering info on options to discuss with the oncologist so your replies are really helpful. Thank you for your kind words and support and, of course, your prayers.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Sep 2019, 17:47

I don't know you and Izzy, but I sure will send up a prayer for you both. Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Sep 2019, 16:02

Sending hugs and prayers for you and Izzy. She is lucky to have you.

Barb

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 14 Sep 2019, 18:55

How sad, Izzy sounds like a wonderful girl.

Prayers for Izzy & a hug for you.

Michaela

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."