Older Shiloh Shepherd

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Older Shiloh Shepherd

Post by Madelon » 22 Oct 2019, 10:53

Love the picture and what a great idea! I'm wondering if the blueberries could be an issue? I know as I've aged my stomach can no longer tolerate certain foods - I myself will get gassy :( . My EPI boy Doc cannot tolerate some of the fancier foods these days with fruits and kale and even a simple herb added to the food will throw his gut out of wack.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

AnubisofGuardian
Pet name: Anubis
My name: Rhonnie

Re: Older Shiloh Shepherd

Post by AnubisofGuardian » 08 Nov 2019, 13:35

So I've started incorporating a bit of the Gas-x stuff in or before his meal and Anubis seems to be 'ballooning' up less which seems to make him more comfortable. I think I found the delicate balance in regards to controlling his EPI for the time being. Now I'm going to switch my focus a little more to making his old age more comfortable as well. I'm creating him some more cloth diapers and monitoring his spinal discomfort levels to make sure that he's not in any prolong pain. I will be careful to make sure that I don't upset his EPI in the process. It would seem that not only is his lumbar spinal discs are getting closer together but that they are also likely compressing inwards as well. He has now started waking me up between 4-5am to be let out to pee. I believe that this condition is possibly traveling slowly up his spine. I'm really praying the for a mild winter this year and that its a very slow progression but I will keep everyone updating as we go along. As long as he's not willing to give up, than neither am I!
Much Love and Light!

Rhonnie