EPI /diabetes complication?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: EPI /diabetes complication?

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Sep 2019, 15:04

Hi Eden, we all are glad to help where we can! Thanks for your kind words.

There is no need to use both the powdered enzymes and the pork pancreas.

Personally I would try to get EPI(enzyme,diet,antibiotic andB12), and diabetes under control and stable first before trying the pancreas. If she is on a good note when you bring her home from the vet I would continue the regimen.

You would have the pancreas in reserve.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 19 Sep 2019, 15:57

Your glucose measurements are mmols.
This link gives a useful chart for converting numbers and what they mean.

https://diabetesindogs.fandom.com/wiki/ ... guidelines

Brilliant news about the poops!
Time for a bottle of wine for you!
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Eden66
Pet name: Minnie
My name: Eden

Post by Eden66 » 06 Oct 2019, 09:34

Hi Everyone -

It's been a few weeks since i last wrote so here is the latest update with Minnie .
She is still on the feeding protocol that the vet provided - 200g Hills Prescription Digestive Care + 100g boiled chicken twice a day 12hrs apart when i have to give her insulin . In between these 12hrs she is on a smaller meal of half doses of the same food plus 1/2 tanlet of Metrobactin AB.
On all her food she is still on the Chemeyes Extra strength Enzyme powder .
The vet wanted her back in for a glucose curve overnight about 10 days ago and was very happy with her progress and results .
The other thing to report is that since she's been on this regime her blood calcium levels have continued to rise and never been better according to the vet - depending on how this goes it may mean her daily Vit D drops can be reduced .
So i was told to keep on with the same feed and protocol and basically everything is or was progressing as regards regaining weight and poo which has been "normal" colour , firm and less than previously .

But - i imagine you could tell there was a "but" coming - yesterday (Sat) was the first day that she started showing signs of less interest in her food .
Since she's been on this regime she eagerly cleaned every bit in her bowl so it was disturbing to see a change ...she eventually ate all her food but less keenly .
It may seem a slight observation but i always watch her closely for anything "different" - the other thing i noticed from yesterday is some of her poop is now more runny , kind of "patty" i suppose you would describe . Until this weekend she had been pretty much ideal and completely firm .

Which is disturbing for me as i have been keeping everything to her protocol - does this sound like anything to you experienced folk ?
She is due to go back in for a recheck at the vet in a week and another B12 jab which is due .

Just a bit concerned at this and what to do if she starts to refuse part /all of her food - particularly the meal with her insulin ?

Any thoughts
Thanks

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Oct 2019, 10:45

You might try adding in the oral B12 with Intrinsic Factor daily to help keep the level up. Sometimes low B12 can affect their interest in food. Just a thought.

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Eden66

Post by Eden66 » 06 Oct 2019, 10:58

Sorry - just reread my previous update and should have been clearer on the issue of her poo /stools .

When i say that she is showing signs of not being as firm /dry as she had been - the colour is lighter / lightish brown and more "poopy" , whereas it had been dk brown and very well formed and at times very dark brown and quite dry .

So what i am wondering is if this sounds a "normal" progression for a newcomer when starting on the enzymes - does the darkness and firmness indicate the right level of enzymes and lighter and less firm indicate perhaps more enzyme powder is required ?
I know it varies with each EPI dog but what is the general thinking .
Also , i expected that once she regains some weight she may start to reject or not want the smaller meals inbetween her main meals (with her insulin) just wondering if the eventual expectation is just the 2 meals 12hrs apart ?

Thanks again

Eden66

Post by Eden66 » 06 Oct 2019, 11:08

Hi Jill
Thanks for your reply .

Would that be given in addition to the B12 injection - she's had her 1st injection so far and is due for her 2nd next week .

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Oct 2019, 11:19

Yes, in addition to the injections.

Too much enzyme can produce a poor stool as well as too little so you have to tweak a little.

Are you hearing tummy rumblings and acid reflux? I am wondering if SID(Small Intestinal Disease) is present.

Jill

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 06 Oct 2019, 12:53

Hello Adrian

lovely to talk to you before

I agree that too much enzyme is as detrimental as too little

however I will send you several links as suggested, and ask the vet about Tylan

Patsy, thank you sooo much for the glucose measurements explanation

b12 is part and parcel of EPI management

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Eden66

Post by Eden66 » 06 Oct 2019, 14:39

Hi again Jean & Jill ,

Thanks again for our long and helpful talk Jean .
Interesting to learn about the possibility of over dosing of the enzymes - i'm now wondering if maybe i should experiment and slightly reduce ...i had been assuming to do the opposite and give more ?( Chemeyes extra strength)
When i was shown the level to give by the vet , she just said about half a teaspoon for her main meal (200g Hills +100g chicken) and to halve the dose for the smaller intermediate meal , which is what i have followed .
As regards tummy gurgling etc - nothing compared to what she used to have before this treatment began , the only thing i could say is just a couple of slight small gurgles one night about 3 or 4 days ago ...nothing else as far as i have observed .

Latest update - I was watching for her poo today and she has just been this evening , although the colour is ok ( still mid brownish) unfortunately this was more loose in consistency - not firm but not liquidy.
Difficult to give an idea of comparison so i would say think of like a thick custard type texture ... not a liquid diarrhea- like but still enough to concern me .

Jean - further to our conversation , perhaps best if i can contact the Chemeyes folks on their extra strength dosing?
As regards Minnie's eating - she ate all her evening meal but i just detect that she is less eager in her eating of the food .
This change literally happened overnight - until Friday gobbling every bit down to a clean bowl , yet the following day and today she is slower and seems less "ravenous".... is the best i can put it ?

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Oct 2019, 15:17

I would agree with Jean to see if your vet can get Tylan.

Glad you got to talk with Jean, she is very knowledgeable having had Kara with EPI !

Jill