New Diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
nellydog

Re: New Diagnosis

Post by nellydog » 23 Jul 2018, 17:39

Thank you all!
Nelly is going for abdominal/GI tract ultrasound tomorrow and luckily this vet has tylan capsules (the other vet said it wasn't available on island).
I have been reading about the slippery elm and luckily my husband happens to be in NY and will be bringing some back tomorrow. Will discuss further w/ the vet but at least I have it if I need it. She weighs about 7 lbs - what dosage would you suggest?

I think it's an important lesson to learn to always do a little digging ourselves and look at results rather than just taking a diagnosis as the final answer especially when it isn't responding to treatment...

Will keep you posted w/ results from tomorrow - fingers crossed that it's bacterial and not anything more serious.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jul 2018, 22:53

Excellent !!!! And you are so right.. it is very important to always do your own research too.

Make sure the Slippery Elm you hubby is getting is loose powder.... not powder in capsules.. in the USA, you can get Slippery Elm powder loose from health food stores .. or you can order it online from Amazon.com ... get the "NOW" brand as it is loose in a bottle and only costs about $7 (if i remember correctly).

Whether this Gut flora bacterial imbalance (SID/SIBO) or some other gastro upset like IBD, IBS, etc...... then it should be fine to give the Slippery Elm powder. ... however, still discuss with your vet and explain that we suggest the following.

Although the recommendation for Slippery Elm (based on weight) for a dog under 10lb is 1/8 tsp...... we have found that very often even less is better. ... so i am going to suggest 1/16 of a tsp of Slippery Elm powder with breakfast and dinner meals.

Here is the Slippery Elm dose recommendation, but again, less is often better:

Give Slippery Elm (SE) powder with breakfast and dinner meals. It can also be given separately with something like yogurt. Just be sure to always give with moisten food, and add a spoon or two of water as SE is a mucilage and will thicken. Incubating not necessary. SE can be give for just a few days, or a week or two…. or it may be given at a reduced amount continuously as a maintenance supplement. Remember…. sometimes even less (Slippery Elm) works better…..

1/8 tsp for dogs under 10lbs,
¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lbs,
½ tsp for dogs 30lbs to 80lbs,
3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs,
1 tsp for dog 100/+lbs.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow and please let us know how things go!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Jul 2018, 11:10

Just now getting in on this thread. How did the ultrasound and vet visit go?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 26 Jul 2018, 20:44

Just popping in to say hi and welcome. Any updates from your last vet visit? Hoping you have a definitive dx and plan of action.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 26 Jul 2018, 21:07

Just wondering how your visit to the vet went.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Jul 2018, 23:22

Me too... just wondering how the vet visit went.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........