? Cushing Disease

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
aliveinhim
State: Arizona
Pet name: Leonidas
My name: Sharlene

? Cushing Disease

Post by aliveinhim » 17 Sep 2019, 15:46

Hello,

Our 7 year old GSD was diagnosed with EPI at the age of 1. Over the years he has had "spells" where he has to pee a lot and drinks more water. Over the past month or so, he has an increased appetite, drinks a lot of water, pants, seems anxious, ? reflux at night. We took him to the vet to be tested for Diabetes. The test was negative, but the vet wants to test him for Cushing's Disease. Does anyone have a dog with this disease? We are overwhelmed to think another medical condition has possibly developed in our boy.

We would like to find the most cost effective way to diagnose and treat him, holistically. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Sharlene

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: ? Cushing Disease

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Sep 2019, 22:25

Hi, we just ruled out Cushings disease with an ultrasound and a urine cortisol test. I think the urine cortisol would be a good start but your vet will know. I paid $136.00 for that test.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: ? Cushing Disease

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Sep 2019, 22:47

My non-EPI dog, Rico had Cushings.....actually A-Typical Cushings.... they did the full ACTH panel to test him....

Once they confirmed it, tested him to see exactly how much medicine he needed (they put my dog on Lysodren), told me to avoid all organ meats and just feed medium to low protein foods and just stay away from high protein foods, and i had to give Rico Melatonin for hair loss (worked like a charm). They also had me give him concentrated Flax Seed Hulls... and i forever swear by this. Flax Seed Hulls (not just flax seed) literally shrinks certain cancerous tumors. Supposedly with Cushings the average/approximate life span after being diagnosed is about 4 years,. My Rico lived with Cushings for 11 years!

In short, once they figured out the right dose of Lysodren (and there are other drugs that ar available now too, like Mitotane, and something else, but i can;t think of the name ).... anyway...once they started my dog on the meds & flax seed hulls, i saw a dramatic improvement in Rico within a week.... and it was very manageable.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........