Need Help - Desperate

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
tracievh
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Bear
My name: Tracie

Need Help - Desperate

Post by tracievh » 22 Sep 2019, 10:41

My 5 year old GSD was just DX with SIBO, and Low B12, High Folate.
Had an Ultrasound that found intestinal wall thickening that could correlate IBD.
Low total proteins but normal albumin and globulin.
TLI test is likely sitting on the fax of the VET as I type this.
PLI test was okay

He has been on metronidazole 500 mg once a day since last Wednesday. Bloody watery diarrhea has at least stopped.
Treated with 5 days of panacur (this has been completed)
One fortiflora packet daily
40 mg of omeprazole at night, followed by a small meal/snack
Started B12 injections yesterday

He is down from 125 to 116 pounds.

He ate Hill's Z/D twice over the course of two days, then stopped. I tried offering him his normal food; Orijen 6 fish. Not interested. I tried Blue Buffalos' HD formula. Wouldn't touch it. Now Stella and Chewy's Beef patties - he would eat those, but not enough to sustain him. And sliced ham of all things. yesterday, he wouldn't even the Stella and Chewy's. I called a local VET who carries Purina EN but they would not sell it to me without a script from my VET who is out of town for a family emergency. Out of desperation I tried Natural Balance's duck and potatoes. He LOVED it. But now this morning, he is paying the price :-(
The all too familiar loud gurgling stomach noise, will not eat. His poop this morning was semi-formed, but very soft. Not diarrhea though. I feel terrible about giving it to him now. But I just didn't know what to do. I'm in a rural area as well. The closest Internal VET is 2+ hours away, and when I called for an appointment it was 2 month wait. He can't wait that long.

IF, he is hungry later, what should I try and feed him? Should I just let his system rest till I get results tomorrow?

(Bear has food allergies to chicken, turkey, sweet potatoes, barley and alfalfa. Thought I was told by my VET and a nutritionist that food sensitivity testing is not very accurate..? )

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Need Help - Desperate

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Sep 2019, 11:42

Sorry your Bear is having issues. Can you trying feeding him some cooked beef or canned tuna drained with some plain mashed potatoes?

Sounds like SID is present. Are you still giving Metro?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

jordieboy
State: Vermont
Pet name: Rosie
My name: Jennifer

Post by jordieboy » 22 Sep 2019, 12:26

I am so sorry Bear is feeling awful. These first couple weeks are rough. My Rosie was diagnosed with EPI a little over a week ago, and it has been a struggle that we haven't found the end of yet. Hang in there, support Bear as best you can, and know that these guys can be very resilient. I know that the weight loss is alarming, and the desire to feed him is really strong, but I'd suggest waiting to feed him until after you've talked to your vet tomorrow morning. A day without food, especially if he is not interested because he feels bad, shouldn't hurt him. And if it turns out he does have EPI, enzymes will make it possible for him to actually digest his food.

You've found the right place. Rosie and I send you and Bear big hugs.

tracievh

Post by tracievh » 22 Sep 2019, 13:15

jilbert57 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 11:42 Sorry your Bear is having issues. Can you trying feeding him some cooked beef or canned tuna drained with some plain mashed potatoes?

Sounds like SID is present. Are you still giving Metro?

Jill
Yes! He still has a few more days to go on metro. Bad news is, he just had bloody watery stool. I feel like it was the food though but still. I never thought of mashed potatoes. He loves ground beef too. I will give that a try! Thank you so much!

tracievh

Post by tracievh » 22 Sep 2019, 13:17

jordieboy wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:26 I am so sorry Bear is feeling awful. These first couple weeks are rough. My Rosie was diagnosed with EPI a little over a week ago, and it has been a struggle that we haven't found the end of yet. Hang in there, support Bear as best you can, and know that these guys can be very resilient. I know that the weight loss is alarming, and the desire to feed him is really strong, but I'd suggest waiting to feed him until after you've talked to your vet tomorrow morning. A day without food, especially if he is not interested because he feels bad, shouldn't hurt him. And if it turns out he does have EPI, enzymes will make it possible for him to actually digest his food.

You've found the right place. Rosie and I send you and Bear big hugs.
My husband says the same thing; wait till tomorrow to feed. But my instinct is to feed him because it's so hard to see him like this. I might still try a little bit of ground beef and mashed potatoes though. Just a little something. It's been very rough and I just want him to feel better.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Sep 2019, 15:18

Tracie,
Maybe you can ask the vet for a 45 day course of Tylan for the diarrhea and SID. FIt is administered 2 times a day. It is bitter so we usually put the dose in gel capsules, some dogs don't mind the taste. It is a lot easier on the gut than Metro plus it doesn't wipe out all the gut bacteria.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Sep 2019, 16:54

When any of my dogs has had stomach distress, every vet has instructed me to feed white rice & chicken. I see you suspect a chicken allergy, but I think this is pretty universal. And pumpkin for diarrhea, right? Then again it stops them up because of the fiber, which is bad for epi. It is so hard to get it right sometimes. Good thoughts your way---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

tracievh

Post by tracievh » 22 Sep 2019, 18:27

Thank you for the suggestion of the ground beef and potatoes! I wasn't sure if he would eat or not, and he seemed very interested in the potatoes. I usually do beef and rice. Anyways, I only gave him a small amount at first just to see. Ate it right up. So I gave him a little bit ore with his probiotic mixed in.
Thank you so much!

tracievh

Post by tracievh » 22 Sep 2019, 18:29

jilbert57 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 15:18 Tracie,
Maybe you can ask the vet for a 45 day course of Tylan for the diarrhea and SID. FIt is administered 2 times a day. It is bitter so we usually put the dose in gel capsules, some dogs don't mind the taste. It is a lot easier on the gut than Metro plus it doesn't wipe out all the gut bacteria.

Jill
I have been reading about Tylan. I am very worried that once I stop the metro this Wednesday, and giving that he just had bloody poops again today, that this is not in anyway taken care of. I am going to ask my VET tomorrow when he calls me with the results of the TLI test.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 23 Sep 2019, 03:11

good morning from the UK

so has the EPI cTLI test results come through ?

When my Kara was shedding her bowel through a very severe attack of SID/SIBO my vet said

NO meat of any sort, definitely NO rice, only mashed potato and scrambled eggs , no milk

this was for several days and it worked, she was then tested for food intolerances, beef, chicken, white fish, and pork were a no, no, but she could tolerate cooked fresh chicken , but not in dog food, we gave her very little proteins other than lamb

I know only too well how distressing it is

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx