Happy and me ( new ones here) looking for advices

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
adriannemary91
Pet name: HAPPY
My name: Maria

Happy and me ( new ones here) looking for advices

Post by adriannemary91 » 24 Sep 2019, 14:52

First of all i would like to say thank you.
Find ipe4dogs it's helping me a lot. Here in Spain we dont have much information about IPE desease.

3 months ago, Happy, a 2 years and a half female andalusian bodeguero, started with very bad poops, yellow, and enourmous and liquid. there were the worst months in my life. 8 differents, veterinarys, and noone able to know what was happening to her, losing weight day by day. From 8 to 5 just now.

2 weeks ago, she was EPI diagnosticated.

Now we are trying to find the food, enzymes, and SIBO balance. The poops are not regular yet. It is very difficult, and im scared that there is not much time to make mistakes.

im reading all the information that all of you posted about IPE. And i'm learning a lot.
i would like to know, how long do you realise that you are in the good way? do you have any advice for the new one like me? We are trying with Creon and hypoalergenyc food.

Thank you all for your help, and for created this amazing and helpful page.

Love Happy and Maria.

PS. Sorry about my bad english, im trying my best.
Happy is a two and a half year old dog and has been diagnosed with EPI 2 on September 2019.

TLI= 1.19

Hills prescription diet i/d - 2 creon 10.000 per meal - Hidroxil B12 1 pill per day - probiotic 1 fortiflora ( royan cannin) per day.

Lowest weight 4,700 kg
Current weight : 6,800 kg

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Happy and me ( new ones here) looking for advices

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Sep 2019, 16:48

Maria, welcome to you and Happy! What a wonderful name.
Creon is a little tricky figuring out the correct dose. Is your Creon in capsules and if so what is the strength?
Is the hypoallergenic diet agreeing with Happy?
Do you happen to know if they tested Happy's B12?
We usually know our pups are good if the poops are good, their appetite is good and there is no tummy grumblings.
Please ask questions.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 24 Sep 2019, 19:21

Welcome to you and Happy! Don't worry about your English. You explained very well what you and Happy are going through and we know how difficult it is when you can't figure out what is wrong with your pup. Now that you have the diagnosis, you can get Happy on the right path.

The folks who are most familiar with Creon will be on shortly to help you with dosage. If you can answer some of Jill's questions, that will help us to help you. Besides the enzymes, treating Happy's B12 will be very important. Most of our dogs have very low B12 when they are first diagnosed and will need a round of injections of generic B12 (not any of the B complexes) Hopefully, your vet can help you with that.

If you can, let us know the results of the cTLI test numbers and the B12 level if you have it.

As Jill said, we can tell if our pups are improving if their poos are becoming more formed and have good color.

Try not to feel too overwhelmed. Once you get the right amount of enzymes and the B12 levels up, things will start to improve. We have all been where you are......hang in there.

Barb

I

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Sep 2019, 23:01

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. Don't apologize for your English, you explained perfectly what you and Happy are going through!

Here's a link to our Guide for members outside the US including Spain https://epi4dogs.com/epi-quick-guides-outside-usa/

As Jill said Creon can be tricky.

EPI dogs need their B12 on the high side of normal - 600+ and supplementing i for life. As for the poops, we recommend when first diagnosed to give the enzymes, food (grain free, 4% fiber or less) a few weeks to work out before reaching fo4 antibioitcs
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

adriannemary91

Post by adriannemary91 » 25 Sep 2019, 04:10

Good morning everyone!

Im so glad to read your answers!
  • [We are using creon (capsules) 10.000, 3 times a day: Morning ( 1 pill) afternoon (1/2 pill ) and night ( 1 pill)
    I open the pill and made a ball with the food and the enzimes inside. I give Happy the ball with the enzimes, and then the rest of the food.
  • The b12, was good, but we are controlling it.
  • The poops are not good, we are between 5 and 6 ( fecal scoring system- ) (Before enzimes we were 6-7 and yellow, like mustard) but the colour is better, now, is brown.
  • The appetite is good
  • and we have less tummy grumbling, but we still have a little
  • About the food, i am not pretty sure, but i found better poops with the hypoallergenic

Maybe she needs more creon? we will meet the vet today.

Thank you all for the supporting!

Maria
Happy is a two and a half year old dog and has been diagnosed with EPI 2 on September 2019.

TLI= 1.19

Hills prescription diet i/d - 2 creon 10.000 per meal - Hidroxil B12 1 pill per day - probiotic 1 fortiflora ( royan cannin) per day.

Lowest weight 4,700 kg

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Sep 2019, 12:54

Thank you for your responses. Is there a reason you give 1/2 a Creon at mid meal instead of a full Creon?
Thank you

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

adriannemary91

Post by adriannemary91 » 25 Sep 2019, 16:05

jilbert57 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 12:54 Thank you for your responses. Is there a reason you give 1/2 a Creon at mid meal instead of a full Creon?
Thank you

Jill
Hello Jill,

I dont know, the vet recomended that to me.
Today we are going to increase the Creon:

breakfast: 1+1/4
mid meal 1
dinner 1+/4.

Do you think i should give her the same creon all the times?

Thank you!

Maria

TLI= 1.19

Lowest weight 4,700 kg

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Sep 2019, 16:41

Are you feeding the same amount of food with all 3 meals?

Jill

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 Sep 2019, 22:51

Our Founder and Director of Research Olesia said the dose of creon depends on the dog as dose administration technique appears to work best - giving Creon is not straightforward - the pet owner will have to trial and error to find the right dose and the right administration technique - she offered the following guidance: The trick to giving Creon is make sure that its activation starts at the right time while goig through the digestive system and that will depend on each dog's digestive tract/small intestine - so - it is all based on what your dog's pH level is, not his size nor the amount of food given - and that is why it takes a little trial and error with these dogs when placed on Creon. First…. the dose. We suggest starting with a CREON 10,000 (or 12,000) per meal (you can add more if this amount doesn’t work)
Next… the technique…. the best way is to just try the following techniques to see which works best … and that is determined by the poo quality:
1. Give the CREON 10,000 (or 12,000) capsule whole or sprinkle the contents and feed immediately or wait for 10 minutes before feeding (some dogs respond better with either method). Watch the poo for a few days and try to assess. Please note: if you are going to sprinkle the contents ensure that the dog eats the entire meal so that all of the Creon is ingested. If in doubt, give the capsule whole before trying the sprinkling method.
2. if the above does not produce optimal poo results, then you can try 2 x CREON 10,000 (or 12,000) capsules. Watch the poo for a few days and try to assess if this helped, or if it is just right or not working at all….
3. if the above is not working at all…. then try giving a CREON 10,000 (or 12,000) capsule about 5 minutes prior to a meal… again, watch the poo and try to assess if this appears to work better than the above or not. If it does appear to work better…. but still isn’t perfect, then try giving the CREON 10,000 (or 12,000) about 10 minutes prior to a meal and again assess the poo over the next few days.
These are some techniques… the trick in giving CREON will be up to you to try and figure out TWO THINGS!
1. what is the best “timing” method of giving CREON.. whole in capsules or in some cases whether opened and served immediately or 5, 10 or 15 minutes prior to a meal.
2. and then the right “dose”… whether one CREON 10,000 (or 12,000) is enough or if you need two CREON 10,000 (or 12,000)… or if your dog is going to need approximately CREON 25,000

As for the tummy rumbling - are you giving an antibiotic? Also, are you supplementing B12?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

adriannemary91

Post by adriannemary91 » 26 Sep 2019, 03:28

jilbert57 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 16:41 Are you feeding the same amount of food with all 3 meals?

Jill
Hello Jill,

Yes, I am.

Im going to call the vet to aks why in the mid meal is less Creon.

I think I should give her the same Creon all the times!

Thank you!

TLI= 1.19

Lowest weight 4,700 kg