Pain Meds for Joint discomfort

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bonnie
State: New York
Pet name: Hannah
My name: Bonnie Austin

Pain Meds for Joint discomfort

Post by Bonnie » 25 Sep 2019, 12:05

Hello all! Hope everyone and their fur baby(s) are doing well! I'm looking for an alternative to giving my sweet 7 y.o. Hannah Rimadyl 75mg. 2X/day for her hips. In my signature, I have all the medications and supplements that she is and has been on for quite some time now. I had her blood work checked b/c I worry about her being on the Rimadyl and the tests were pretty much okay at this time, but I'd like to know if anyone is or has been using anything else for this. When I've researched on-line (Facebook) "German Shepherd Nation" they have all kinds of holistic medications like fish oil, CBD oil, turmeric golden paste, jutrivet hip and joint, phyco MAX chewable, etc.... But, I'm not one to try things out with Hannah being an EPI GSD. Just wondering what you all are giving? I would be talking this over with our Vet, but she hasn't suggested anything other than the Rimadyl. Thanks so much!
Hannah - DOB: 8/15/12 ~ our sweet shelter rescue- November 2012 Current Weight: 81 lbs.
EPI (11/16/12) Perianal Fistulas now stable (1/21/17) Skin Problems 6/4/18: chronic atopic dermatitis, superficial bacterial pyoderma, malassezia dermatitis, hip dysplasia,
Enzyme Diane & Medications: Cyclosporine, Fluconazole, Metronidazole, Rimadyl, Gabapentin, Pet Factor B12 capsule, MovoFlex

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Pain Meds for Joint discomfort

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Sep 2019, 13:09

My 13 y/o gal is in Galliprant. It is supposed to be easier on the system than Rimadyl. I do also use CBD oil as per my vet.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 Sep 2019, 23:01

Hi there. I my non-EPI dog was on Rimadyl - she has horrible arthritis from cruciate issues in her back knees and some issues with one of her front legs. Our Founder and Director of Research, Olesia, suggested I try Canine System Saver - she saw great results with her dog and also tried the human version with her mom and saw immediate relief. I started my Roxy on the Canine System Saver and GlycoFlex 3 and she's been off of the Rimadyl for over a year. I would highly suggest talking to your vet though before using anything.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » 26 Sep 2019, 14:54

Thanks so much Jilbert57 and Madelon for your information. I'll be talking with my vet about these alternatives!
Hannah - DOB: 8/15/12 ~ our sweet shelter rescue- November 2012 Current Weight: 81 lbs.
EPI (11/16/12) Perianal Fistulas now stable (1/21/17) Skin Problems 6/4/18: chronic atopic dermatitis, superficial bacterial pyoderma, malassezia dermatitis, hip dysplasia,
Enzyme Diane & Medications: Cyclosporine, Fluconazole, Metronidazole, Rimadyl, Gabapentin, Pet Factor B12 capsule, MovoFlex

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 29 Sep 2019, 03:52

hi there

the one drug that worked for us was

http://www.cartrophen.com/for-dog-owner ... ophen-vet/

I hope you find something that works

you could try Extract of green lipped mussel too

jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » 29 Sep 2019, 13:57

Thank you Jean for the information!