Encouragement

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Conniej83
State: Wisconsin

Encouragement

Post by Conniej83 » 23 Jul 2018, 07:39

My Zoe was diagnosed at the age of 1.5 and is now 11 years old and doing better than ever. I have put her on an all raw diet. She no longer needs B12 shots and is the happiest dog now. Since switching to raw she hasn’t had SIBO and never a bad pooh. Also I stated her on Ashwagandha for thunderstorms and fireworks and she is a completely different dog so relaxed and happy😁❤️❤️. I wanted to post this to show everyone there is hope and it isn’t easy it took me nine years to get her where she is now sadly. I tried every dry food on the list and none ever really worked. Raw was the answer for her❤️❤️

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Encouragement

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jul 2018, 10:45

Thanks Connie ... glad you registered with the new forum :) and SOOOOOOooooooo glad to hear that Zoe has responded very well to raw. Although there is no guarantee that every EPI dog that tries raw will have success....there have been more than enough EPI dogs that finally do respond best to raw- -well worth mentioning. We have seen positive results especially with those hard cases where no matter what brand of commercial dry or canned food the pet parent tried.... the dog just did not flourish until the parent switched to raw.... or home-prepared :)

Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, BTW... Zoe looks FABULOUS :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Conniej83

Post by Conniej83 » 23 Jul 2018, 10:54

Thanks Olesia if anyone is interested I will share my recipe if they want to try.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jul 2018, 13:23

that would be awesome.... Thanks for the offer :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 23 Jul 2018, 13:51

Wow, Connie, that is wonderfully encouraging news! Zoe is adorable and she looks great! Thank you for letting us know how well she is doing. This helps everyone.

Barb

Conniej83

Post by Conniej83 » 23 Jul 2018, 16:37

Zoe’s Diet
This recipe lasts my three dogs about two months. Zoe weighs 16 pounds, Floyd is 17 pounds and Molly is 7.5 pounds. I get all of my ingredients thru My Pet Carnivore.
20# Turkey/Beef Mix(this includes bone,meat and organs)
10# Ground Turkey
4# ground organ mix
4# Ground tripe
10# plain ground meat
12 raw eggs with shells
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
I use a big tub and mix it up with my hands. I then put it in two pound containers and freeze until i need it. Thaw in the fridge Zoe eats 3.7 ounces twice a day with Enzyme Diane’s pancreatic enzymes added and let sit for thirty minutes. I also add a multi vitamin and L-glutamine. I also give my dogs Brewers dried yeast with garlic tabs to repel fleas and ticks.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jul 2018, 23:05

Thanks Connie...... looks like a really good recipe.

Question for you.........the egg shells..... excellent source of calcium.... but do you dry the shell and then crush them or what? In other words how do you prepare the egg shells.... i currently use pig bone meal.... but i give an egg every day to my 3 dogs... and am tossing the shells.... which i could use if i knew how to properly prepare............

And one itty bitty tidbit.... regarding the apple cider.... give EnzymeDiane a call or send her an email and ask her if Apple Cider Vinegar destroys the powder enzymes....i am pretty sure she mentioned this to me once, but just to make sure i am remembering correctly... you might want to check with her and verify this.... and maybe ask to what degree tdoes the Apple Cider Vinegar destroy the enzymes.... if not to much, it might be just fine... but if too much then you might want to not add the apple cider vinegar to Zoe's portion of the food... just to Floyd and Molly's food...........

Conniej83

Post by Conniej83 » 24 Jul 2018, 06:36

I throw the whole eggs in the food processor and grind them up. The amount of apple cider vinegar in each serving must not be much because her pooh is perfect so it isn’t effecting her enzymes. But thanks for mentioning that because I didn’t know that.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 24 Jul 2018, 08:14

It's always good for new members to read success stories to help them along. Thanks so much for posting!
Glad raw is working for your pups. It gives members another option to think about.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Jul 2018, 14:12

What a fabulous update!! Thanks for sharing so that newly diagnosed members can see EPI is manageable. Also, thank you for mentioning the Ashwagandha - my non-EPI girl is a basket case with thunderstorms and fireworks so I am going to look into this.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.