New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhlemed...

Post by Sadie'sMom » 14 Nov 2019, 04:11

Hi Jean:

Yes, did get Sadie's e card. I sent you a thank you note --- I hope you received it!

We took Sadie to the vet yesterday and did a lab draw for B12 and Folate levels. If everything comes back normal, which I think it will (fingers crossed), then we don't plan on doing any more testing unless something changes.

I appreciate your help and advice.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 14 Nov 2019, 04:14

its what we are here for

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 14 Nov 2019, 04:20

And I am beyond thankful for you all!

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 14 Nov 2019, 04:33

and as I was 10 years ago, with a 39 pound 14 month old GSD, when I found EPI4DOGS

there was at that time about 4 people in UK

I had a cat in the 80's with EPI and you never forget the smell, I was at my wits end

we were referred to Liverpool Small Animal Hospital under the care of the most remarkable man Alex German who is now a professor, she started to recover, but the vets wouldnt give any hope, she was so thin, my own vet who has treated EPI since the 80's said I wasnt going to lose her on his watch

I met Val by phone over here, and I had support, which is why I reach out to anyone by phone over here, and then made other friends who are now among my closest friends, one I have spent holidays with

anyway we changed enzymes and the rest is history, she remained stable until we lost her in May, and EPI4DOGS did the most wonderful tribute to her on the calendars, I am very humbled by it

so take care and keep the faith

have you ordered a calendar ?

Jean

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 15 Nov 2019, 08:54

Good Morning Jean:

Thank you for your post. (I didn't get my usual e-mail notification that you had posted something - so glad I just happened to want to read some things on here and saw your post to me).

Wow, what an incredible story you shared. And isn't it amazing that you made friends with people because of your pup's EPI? The same thing has happened for me too. Jill took me under her wing from day one (I call her my EPI sponsor). :lol: She has answered all of my questions (and I have asked A LOT), given great advice, been a shoulder to lean on, and no matter what she has going on in her personal life, if I e-mail her a question about Sadie --- she always responds immediately. I am also thankful for the other staff members at EPI because they have been VERY helpful as well.

People in the UK are very lucky to have you so available and willing to help them. I am sure your support means the world to them. Kudos to you for helping others.

We made some changes, based on what we found out on this forum, and Sadie is doing incredibly well. If we wouldn't have been told about those few "simple" things (4% fiber food, incubate for 20 minutes, etc.) --- well.....who knows where we would be with Sadie right now. I shudder to think we could have lost her as she was going downhill fast. To see her now --- bouncing off the walls with energy, having great poops, and get being her crazy, funny, full of life and energy pup again --- it means the world to us.

I am so sorry that you lost your beloved pup in May....it is never easy to lose a pet who you love so much. She was a gorgeous dog. I will definitely have to take a look at the calendar.

Have a great weekend, Jean, and thank you for your kind note --- it really means a lot to me to hear from my EPI family. :)

Lisa

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Nov 2019, 15:16

So glad to hear that Sadie is doing well and you are in the "maintenance" stage. It is great when you get to that point. Keep us posted of any changes.

Barb

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 18 Nov 2019, 13:52

Hi Barb:

Thank you for you message. It is always nice to hear from my EPI family. :) You are 100% right --- being in the maintenance stage with Sadie now is such a rewarding place to be. She has gained 5.6 pounds back and has boundless energy. We had to B12 and folate levels checked last Wednesday - so we should have her results by today. I'm sitting here with crossed fingers.

Have a great rest of your day.

Lisa

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 19 Nov 2019, 12:11

now just have fun

jeanx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 19 Nov 2019, 12:57

Such good news, Lisa! We join you in the Happy Weight Gain Dance. Pretty soon you will have to enroll her in the Chunky Monkey club:-)))

Barb

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 19 Nov 2019, 14:00

Hi Jean & Barb:

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy to have her back to normal again.

BTW - not sure if I need to report this or not to Derek - but I only received a notice for Barb's message being sent. I didn't get an e-mail to check my account when Jean posted her message. This is the second time this has happened. I just don't want to miss anyone's messages. :) Just thought I should mention it.

Take care.

Lisa