New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Post by Sadie'sMom » 30 Apr 2020, 13:00

Hi Jean!

Our Governor (Wisconsin) extended the Stay at Home until May 26th. Everything is canceled for the summer already. I am one of the lucky few who gets to go to work still. I am a paralegal and law firms are considered essential. Never thought I would say that I am lucky because I get to come to work....but I am. All of the stores here are closed - except for the grocery stores, pet supply stores, Wal-Mart, and Target.

A bunch of businesses are doing the "order online and pick up curbside" at their stores - Michaels Crafts, JC Penney, Barnes & Noble, etc. Many restaurants are still open - you call ahead and pick the meal up curbside or have it delivered to your home at Eat Street. All of the pharmacies offered to deliver prescriptions to your home for free.

In La Crosse we aren't being policed (people being stopped and asked for credentials to show you have the "right" to be on the street) thank goodness. There are hardly any cars on the roads when I head to work, go home or run to grab groceries. Schools are done for this school year. It is really eerie. It breaks my heart that the high school and college seniors lost out on their last year of sports, graduation, grad parties, etc.

Just praying this is over soon, that the death toll slows to a leak (or completely!) and that we can get back to our new normal. Salute to Captain Tom.

You stay safe & healthy. Hope your back isn't giving you too many fits.

Hugs - Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 03 May 2020, 07:56

We are much the same as you over here, except our Prime Minister was in intensive care with Covid.

Some people who have underlying conditions e.g. COPD, Asthma, serious immune problems, etc, got a 12 week lock down 5 weeks ago, which means they cannot go through their door, they can go into the garden but nowhere else .

Same as you, the law community is alive and well, but a lot are working from home

most other businesses are working from home too ,some have gone under

The food shops and pet stores are open, but very little else, the city centre is a ghost town, no shops, no restaurants, no churches, no weddings, funerals with 10 people only, no church service , weird, we have only gone out to the shops for food

Captain Tom, now an honorary Colonel, has been taken to the hearts of everyone, he is a treasure, as is his family

I hope things get sorted as soon as is safe to do so

We at EPI4DOGS have done what we can to keep in touch with people, and so far ,we have, i hope, as Director, I have been absent on and off due to pain etc, but I just have to get on with it, and try to make sure things are looked after, and they are, the team are fabulous, and we are all friends from afar

Much love

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 04 May 2020, 10:48

Hi Jean:

It was very interesting to hear what is going on across the pond. You did have one "extreme" measure that we didn't have here - the 12 week lock down for people with immune system problems. I don't mean to judge - but, wow, that seems a bit extreme. 3 months......that is a very long time to keep someone isolated......but knowing what they have learned, people with these health problems really are at risk and it is scary. Better safe than sorry.

Things are starting to relax here, day by day, and people are starting to revolt against our government - wanting to get their lives back. But it is scary to hear that Round 2 of COVID is expected to be worse than what we are currently going through. We are living in such uncertain and scary times right now. :-(

I know what it is like to have chronic, unending pain --- so I feel for you. My osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, failed back syndrome (after extensive surgery) and auto immune diseases are really having a hay day right now. You just have to do what's best for you. If you need time off - you should take it. I don't think the stress from COVID is doing any of us any good mentally or physically.

Take care. Keep in touch. Stay safe and healthy.

Hugs & Love -

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 19 May 2020, 08:41

Hello All:

Quick question. Is anyone doing anything "special" to their pup during COVID? Are you wiping their coat down? Are you allowing people to pet your dog? I have heard so many mixed reports on both of these subjects that I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions, thoughts or opinions would be great. Just want to do what's best for Sadie & Bella.

I hope you all (and your pups) are safe & healthy.

Lisa

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 May 2020, 15:37

Our dogs are quarantined with us at home. We have acreage so they can get out and run. The grocery store is an hour away so we will take them in the car but they don't get out😊
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 20 May 2020, 10:38

Hi Jill!

We are in the exact same situation as you (at home with us, acreage to run, go on errands with us but don't get out of car). Only difference is that we occasionally have some people stopping by that want to pet them (neighbors, mail delivery person, etc.). While we social distance from anyone stopping by - they still want to pet the pups (who doesn't want to pet a sweet dog??). This "issue" came up because my parents have friends and the husband is a pediatrician and my dad wants to pet his dog, but he won't let anyone touch it. After hearing that --- it got my wheels spinning on what we should be doing. I bending towards letting people pet the dogs and not worry about it....but I tend to be overly cautious with Sadie now because of her EPI condition. :)

Lisa & Sadie

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 21 May 2020, 04:13

Hello girls

Over here, people are even being advised to keep their cats inside permanently

As for petting an animal, to me, it's just not on , people hug and kiss their pets, and so .................

This virus is very scary, and invisible, but everywhere

I just hope it resolves but it's going to be a long time
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 27 May 2020, 13:25

Hi Jean!

Our internet was gone for 5 days at our home! I felt like I was in the dark ages. I apologize for the delay in my response - but had to wait until we got hooked back up again.

Thank you for your response and letting me know what you are doing. I did not hear anything about cats needing to be inside permanently....boy, that is scary!!! We don't own any cats, but have several friends who do. I will pass this on to them to check into.

We decided to keep the dogs "sheltered" - meaning we aren't allowing anyone outside of family to pet them. Ever since Sadie got ill, I have been overly cautious with everything when it comes to her. I've never worried so much about a dog in my life....but I feel I need to do that for her because I don't ever want something to happen to her that I could have prevented.

A lot of people are back to work --- and so far there are only a few cases of COVID each day (thank God). This virus has made me appreciate the things we do have - as we have all seen how quickly that can be taken away from us.

Stay safe & healthy, Jean. :-)

Hugs - Lisa

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 27 May 2020, 19:41

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear that you were without a computer..... it's awful isn't it??!!! We have become so dependent on these machines................

There are so many opposing stories out there about this darn virus, that sometimes you just don't know what to believe anymore....... and yes, our EPI pets are immune compromised, but i don't really know if even that means that there is the likely hood of the virus being transmitted from a human to them.... BUT..... if my EPI gal, Izzy, was still alive, i think i would still be cautious about letting other people pet her, even if she couldn't catch the virus, but because what if someone had the virus, they pet my dog and then our family pet her .... uh-oh! ... i kind of liken it to when a dog rubs again poison ivy in the woods, they may not get poison ivy, , but oh boy oh boy if i pet them afterwards and then touch my face...i will break out with poison ivy,.................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 01 Jun 2020, 13:55

Good Afternoon Olesia!

Yes, we are VERY dependent on machines these days....and I don't ever see that changing. I feel bad for the elderly people who find all this technology overwhelming as they are missing out on some opportunities that others get. Then again - you can't miss something you don't know is there.

With COVID dying down (at least in this area) --- I'm feeling a bit more comfortable with Sadie. Thankfully she isn't a people person - she is actually terrified of everyone except for a handful of people. She was a rescue dog who was abused by the man who had her --- so she especially hates men. Very, very sad. But we are making up for whatever happened to her during her first 5 months of life....but after 3 years.....she hasn't lost one bit of the fear she has for people. So sad. :(

I am with you 100% on our pets coats. We will wash the dogs if they have been outside all day (they both love to lay on their backs and rub in the grass). Our allergies go through the roof if we don't rinse them off. The same goes for poison ivy/oak, etc.....we would catch it in a minute if they got into it. So we keep the pups confined to the yard.

By the way - every other weekend I make the EPI treats for Sadie and she still LOVES them!! She now has me trained that when she eats dinner - she will stop halfway through and give me "the look". That means I have to get up and go get her cookies and break up 2 of them and put them on the rest of her food, and then she will finish eating. (Of course we make Bella her own set of treats (the same thing without enzymes) so she isn't left out). I am beyond thankful for the person who posted this in the treat section and for the help that Jill and a few others gave me when I trying to figure out exactly how to make them so she wouldn't get sick.

Thank you for checking in on us. We appreciate it. Take care, stay safe & healthy.

Lisa & Sadie