New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhlemed...

Post by Jean » 27 Oct 2019, 08:34

I have been away for a while and I am delighted that you are seeing such progress

I cried the day Kara had a solid poo, and the vet danced around the surgery, this is a 6 ft 5 inch man , so funny

my Kara was 39 pounds at her lowest and I was heartbroken, she remained stable at 90 until we lost her in May this year

she also used to burp, so we gave Ranitidine 75 mg 30 mins before food, worked for us

I am also delighted that you have had such help from the Forum

As director it warms the cockles of my heart to hear such praise, for Jill in particular

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Post by Sadie'sMom » 27 Oct 2019, 09:58

Hi Jean:

First, thank you for responding so quickly. That's what I have loved and appreciated the most about this organization - the immediate help you all give to anyone in need. My feelings about your foundation are well deserved --- and I have firmly placed Jill on a pedestal where we think she belongs.

I too cried the day Sadie had her first normal poop. I think my husband and I smiled all day that day. Funny how poo can make you so happy. :) I am so incredibly sorry to hear about Kara. :|

One other thing I have been meaning to mention is this. About 6 weeks ago, when Sadie wasn't responding to 3 to 4 scoops of Panzquin, she told us to go to 5 scoops. The scooper that comes with the Panzquin is the equivalent of 1 tsp. Sadie eats 2 cups of dog food twice a day. So, she has only been getting 1 1/4 tsp of Panzquin. And, her poop is 100% normal. EPI4DOGS has consistently said 1 tsp for every cup of food. I asked the vet (who I don't think has much knowledge about EPI, but is an Internal Medicine vet) weeks ago if I should increase her to 6 scoops and she said to stick with 5 (this is on the same phone call where she upped her from 3-4 to 5) - even though I told where what your foundation recommends.

Would adding that 1 scoop of enzyme be helpful? Could it improve the burps (and every once in a while we hear a tiny bit of tummy grumbling - but not much at all) and the few tummy grumblings? We just want her to be as healthy and feel as good as she possibly can. (Would be easier if she could talk). :lol:

Thank you-

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 27 Oct 2019, 10:55

I firmly believe that if it aint broke , dont fix it

as it is for now, I wouls stay on what you are doing, if you are going to increase anything, do it slowly , and my VERY small amounts, so adding a teaspoon extra to me, would be too much as a beginning, maybe increase by 1/8th teaspoon and record what happens, I am not convinced it would remove the burps

our enzyme ratio's in UK are slightly different, we dont talk in cups, but I understand having been around for 9 years,

My Kara was my soul mate, she lived a very spoiled, but lively life, her picture on the front page of the forum with her head on my laptop, is just her, she sadly developed DM, and after a year of that, we had to say goodbye

anyway, thank you for your kind words, it makes it all worthwhile, everyone here has been in your shoes, so we know how you feel

try the Ranitidine

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 27 Oct 2019, 19:55

Hi Jean:

You are right - I am not going to change anything because she is doing so well.

I have been dog lover my entire life, having loved and lost several over the years. Dogs are amazing creatures....the amount of unconditional love they give is immeasurable. I guess that's why when our Sadie got ill, it felt like the world was crashing down around us as she is only 3 years old. Kara was a beautiful dog and I have no doubt you were lucky to have one another.

Take care and thank you for your advice. I thought I should ask the forum a question instead of bugging Jill again. :)

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

adriannemary91
Pet name: HAPPY
My name: Maria

Post by adriannemary91 » 30 Oct 2019, 13:56

Hi!!

We tried with ranitidine too, for the same reason. It works good on Happy.
Anyway, in spain are retiring the ranitidine, so we are using famotidine (10mg) maybe could be usefull for you!

Im very happy for you and Sadie!
Happy is a two and a half year old dog and has been diagnosed with EPI 2 on September 2019.

TLI= 1.19

Hills prescription diet i/d - 2 creon 10.000 per meal - Hidroxil B12 1 pill per day - probiotic 1 fortiflora ( royan cannin) per day.

Lowest weight 4,700 kg
Current weight : 6,800 kg

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 30 Oct 2019, 16:18

Hi Adriannemary:

Jill let me know that Ranitidine/Zantac has been taken off the market here in the USA already. I bought some Slippery Elm Powder and we are going to try that on her if we hear her burping again. Lately, she only has 1 little burp and that's it. Not sure what's going on - going to monitor her closely though.

Tomorrow is Sadie's 3rd birthday! We are blessed to have her in our lives and are hopeful she has many more birthdays ahead of her.

Thank you for responding. Give Happy a hug from us.

Lisa & Sadie

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 31 Oct 2019, 11:01

Everyone:

Today is Sadie's 3rd birthday. We were truly blessed when we got her - she was a rescue dog. I don't honestly know if Sadie would have made it to her 3rd birthday day if it wasn't for the INCREDIBLE amount of support we have received by everyone who has helped us to get her better. I will FOREVER be grateful to everyone for their advice, guidance, help, and support. And I am especially grateful that we found the EPI4DOGS website - because it has truly been a lifesaver for us.

Thank you (especially Jill.....) for all of your help. Because of you all, Sadie is a happy, healthy, thriving, full of energy pup who we love dearly.

Hugs -

Lisa & Sadie

adriannemary91
Pet name: HAPPY
My name: Maria

Post by adriannemary91 » 31 Oct 2019, 11:20

WOOOOOOOH!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SADIE!!!

I WISH YOU AN ENTIRE LIFE OF HAPPINES AND HEALTH!!!!

Great job Lisa! Enjoy the day !

Today Happy, Javier ( Happy's daddy) and me celebrate for Sadie too!
Happy is a two and a half year old dog and has been diagnosed with EPI 2 on September 2019.

TLI= 1.19

Hills prescription diet i/d - 2 creon 10.000 per meal - Hidroxil B12 1 pill per day - probiotic 1 fortiflora ( royan cannin) per day.

Lowest weight 4,700 kg
Current weight : 6,800 kg

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 31 Oct 2019, 11:41

Hi Adriannemary, Happy & Javier:

Thank you so much for your kind words.....they mean more than you know. We are definitely celebrating our little Sadie today.

Have a great rest of your day.

Lisa & Sadie

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Oct 2019, 16:39

Happy 3rd Birthday Sadie! So glad you are feeling well so you can enjoy the day!
Kiya and TJ
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.