New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Jun 2020, 15:29

Hi Lisa,

Glad to hear that the COVID 19 is on the downward trend in your area too!

But that is so sad that Sadie, years later is still afraid of strangers.... must break your heart, knowing she was conditioned to be like this at the hands of a cruel human. Thank goodness she is part of YOUR family now and getting much love and care!

Take care and wising you a wonderful Summer.... and please keep us posted, when you can on how Sadie is doing :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Jun 2020, 17:46

Glad to hear COVID is on the decline in your area and that Sadie is doing well - especially at training you for her cookies. That's so sweet. It's funny how they do train us as much as we train them :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Post by Sadie'sMom » 04 Jun 2020, 14:28

Hi Olesia:

Nice to hear from you! Yes, we are VERY happy that COVID is way down here. Praying it stays that way. Never realized how good we had it before COVID and now George Floyd's death. I'm anxiously waiting for life to return to normal....

I often wonder what kind of treatment Sadie went through in the first 5 months of her life. Then I tell myself to stop wondering - I'm better off not knowing. I'm just so thankful we got her when she was only 5 months old instead of an older dog that had seen more mistreatment. If I ever saw someone mistreating an animal, even the good Lord couldn't help them!

I hope you have a wonderful summer as well. I will definitely keep you posted on our "Sadie Lady". :)

Take care.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 04 Jun 2020, 14:30

Hi Madelon:

It's nice hearing from you! Yes, I am VERY glad COVID is on the decline. I will definitely appreciate it when we are "back to normal". Hope you see the same thing in your neck of the woods too.

Sadie lets me think I am the boss ---- that's how well trained she is. :D But in reality - she is too smart for me - she knows exactly what to do to get what she wants. She keeps me on my toes - but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Take care and thank you for keeping in touch with us.

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Jun 2020, 19:58

HI Lisa,

Sadie sounds like a real "Charmer"... my Izzy had us trained too... but i loved every minute of it. Thank goodness Sadie found her forever home with you and your family. A family that will treat her forever like a princess, as she deserves.

Have a great summer and please keep us posted on Sadie!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 08 Jun 2020, 13:58

Good Afternoon Olesia:

Yes, she is definitely a charmer. I have been taking some contestant photos of her that I will be submitting for the EPI calendar (I'm trying to catch her best side). :lol:

I think we saved each other - she is such a bright light in our lives that we can't imagine life without her.

I hope you have a wonderful summer as well. I will definitely keep you updated.

Take care. Thank you for responding. Stay safe & healthy.

Lisa

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 20 Jul 2020, 15:08

Hi All:

I have a new question on a previous issue. I believe this is one where Olesia might have mentioned she had the same issue with her pup - but not positive. Sadie is having some skin flareups. She has big flakes that have come off her skin and are on her hair (they can actually be kind of tricky getting them off - they don't just brush off like dandruff). We have noticed in the last year that Sadie's coat has changed a lot. She used to have the softest hair - had a sheen to it. Now, her hair is very dry and dull. Over the last year or so (since EPI diagnosis), her gorgeous, shiny, soft medium-dark gold coat is now very light in color and she now has a significant amount of white hair! The white hair on her back, from the beginning of her tail (versus the tip)up about 4" is very coarse and sticks straight up most of the time.

I have been doing daily inspections of her skin and it is constantly changing. Some days - hardly any flakes at all. Other days, lots of dry, flaky skin. She will get areas where there are little bumps (which turn red after I brush her). Once a week, I brush her with a FURminator brush (which she LOVES) which get all the dander off of her. Weirdest thing about the bumps on her back -- they are all on her spine or just slightly off to the side of her spine and on the nape of her neck. She doesn't have any other areas on her where she is flaking any skin at all.

First thing in the morning, after she has gotten out of her kennel and gone outside to do her business, she will come in and she immediately starts biting at herself - especially her back (where she can reach), the beginning of her tail (nearest her rump), her paws and the underside of her front legs - right by her foot pads. After about 5 minutes, she will stop. Then off and on throughout the day she will gnaw at herself for a little bit (but isn't doing this constantly by any means.) Once a week she gets a bath and we use "Vets Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo", dry her off and then I apply the leave on spray conditioner. Nothing in her diet has changed.

Our daughter is suggesting we use coconut oil. I am holding off on doing anything until I hear from my EPI friends. Any suggestions, thoughts, tips, etc. from anyone will be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Lisa & Sadie

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Jul 2020, 21:38

Hi there! I'm no expert but sounds like possible allergies. The areas where the big flakes are - can you see if there is a red or crusty area near there? If you look at her paws - are they read inbetween the toes or underneath in the webbing area? My boy has severe environmental allergies. My dermatologist recommended Duoxo (with chlorhexadine) shampoo - and bathe once a week during flare ups. I know some others have had great results with this shampoo. For the red paws, it's likely yeast, there are several remedies but what works for us is athletes foot cream twice a day. You might talk to your vet - it could be environmental allergies or food sensitivities or as in our case both - ugghhhh!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 21 Jul 2020, 18:52

Hi Madelon:

Thank you for responding so quickly. She doesn't have any issues with her toe area (one less thing to worry about!). Yes, the areas around the dry skin are red and a bit crusty. Do you have an opinion on using coconut oil? My daughter uses it on her dog who has dry skin problems and it clears her pup right up. I'm just a nervous EPI mom who doesn't want to do anything without someone saying it's okay. If no one here knows, I will definitely check with my vet. My EPI family is always my first go to place since you all essentially saved Sadie's life and helped us get her thriving.

Have a good evening and stay safe.

Lisa & Sadie

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jul 2020, 20:01

yes, most EPI dogs can tolerate eating coconut oil.... the good stuff (extra virgin/or cold pressed)and it should come in a dark or solid colored jar... not a see thru jar. I used to buy mine from Amazon and used the Jarrows brand (extra virgin).
Start with 1/2 tblsp breakfast and dinner... and if the poops remain normal after maybe 3 to 5 days, then increase to 1 tablespoon with breakfast and dinner, This should help with dry skin, improve coat, etc. BUT... if this is an allergy, the coconut oil should help a little but i don't thin it will fix things. You can also put it on topically, but i suspect she would lick it off......

WHen one of my other dogs dealt with constant chomping on herslef (severe storage mite allergies) to give immediate relief, i would either just soak the feet or dab areas with a topical solution of povidone (or betadine) solution.... OR.... a vet told me to give a baking soda bath... in other words mix in a squirt bottle baking soda with warm water (i just poured about 1/4 cup of baking soda in a ketch squeeze size bottle) and filled with warm water. shake and squirt dog all over. let sit for a few minutes and then just rinse off and towel dry. THe baking soda actually kills all kinds of bacteria and softens the skin. stops the itching for a few days at a time.