New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Jan 2021, 07:26

I'm just making sure I can still comment, because while trying to let members know that my name is not Tuckaboo (Tucker's nickname, spoken slowly & drawn way out---makes him wiggle & smile), but PAM, I messed with my account & got worried I'd bumped myself.

SO, am I still here?---Pam, not Tuckaboo
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jan 2021, 22:59

Pam... YES!!! you are still here... but now your profile name is "Tuckaboo Pam" :D :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Post by Sadie'sMom » 18 Jan 2021, 16:30

Hi Olesia:

My husband has 1 question for you please. I told him about the beef bones. He said that after some time, the marrow starts to die and he didn't think it would be safe for Sadie to consume that. Are we supposed to remove it? Refrigerate the bone when not being gnawed on? I'm sorry for so many questions - we just don't want to do something wrong and have her get sick again.

No rush on responding. I know you are busy.

Thank you!

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Jan 2021, 16:39

oh gosh, i forgot about that.

Scrap whatever marrow that you can out of the bone.... and you can include a little bit (of that marrow) at a time with an enzymed meal.... (since it is very healthy!) or if you are uncomfortable with that you can cook it in a little and serve that way with an enzymed meal... or just throw it out if you are totally uncomfortable giving it OR if it doesn't agree with Sadie. (what i am talking about in a beef bone almost looks like a blob of fat in the middle of the big beef soup bones...... not gray like the marrow in a chicken bone)

ANyway.... I scraped it out as best i could and remember Izzy going after the inside of the bone the best she could :) .... but it all dried out in short order........

hope we are talking about the same thing.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 18 Jan 2021, 16:54

Hi Olesia:

Thank you for responding so quickly - I appreciate it. We found a butcher who sells them for $4 - so I'm excited to go and get one - but wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing. Now I totally understand what you mean by beef bone and what I should be getting! We will scrap it out so that she gets little to none of it - just to be safe.

One more question: It's time for me to thank my sisterhood of friends at EPI again for everything they have done, and continue to do, by making another donation. Could you please let me know the preferred (and best way for EPI4Dogs) for me to send the donation? I did a check last year - and I can do that again - but if there is a better/faster/easier way to do it - please let me know.

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 19 Jan 2021, 14:05

Then there's this---But, you are probably using the longer ones.
https://life.shared.com/vets-warn-about ... a-dogs-jaw
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Jan 2021, 14:24

Yes.... to be safe, go with the longer BIG soup bones!

My Izzy had both (short and long soup bones)... but her mouth (and teeth) were very tiny and the short soup bone was way too big for her small mouth and couldn't get stuck... BUT.... that being said, i can see where this could sadly happen to dogs with larger mouths and the short soup bone.

Thanks for bringing this up and posting about it.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 19 Jan 2021, 14:39

HI Tuckaboo Pam - I like your new name. :D

I read the article - oh my goodness.....the pictures are so scary! I would be in an absolute panic if that happened to Sadie. We will absolutely taken into consideration the size of the bone compared to the size of her jaw. Thank you for this!

Have a great rest of your day.

Lisa & Sadie

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 19 Jan 2021, 14:48

Hi Olesia:

Thank you for continuing to assist us with making sure we get exactly what we need.

When you have time, can you please let me know how to send Sadie's donation to the Foundation?

Thank you.

Lisa & Sadie

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Jan 2021, 11:54

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for asking..... if you want to do credit card or paypal.... just use one of the "Donate" buttons on the Epi4Dogs Website.
Here is one on the Donate page: https://epi4dogs.com/donate/
or on the home page: https://epi4dogs.com/

OR....

If you want to send a check, just mail it to:

Epi4Dogs Fdn, Inc.
P.O. Box 683
Supply, NC 28462-3590

... and many thanks!