New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Post by Sadie'sMom » 17 Aug 2020, 09:04

Good Morning Madelon:

I actually didn't let her in the pool this weekend because I am trying everything I can to clear this problem up. The Antifungal spray seems to be working --- but it hasn't completely fixed it. Her tail is now the worst area. A lot of the other areas have completely cleared up - so very happy about that. It's just so frustrating because she gets better, then slides back a bit, then gets better, etc. But her tail has never gotten to a point where I can be happy. Will just continue trying to figure it out. If we can't - then a vet visit is next on the list.

Thank you, as always, for your words of advice. I sincerely appreciate them.

Take care. Stay safe.

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 17 Aug 2020, 12:44

the thing my vet talked about at length, was the towels we dry them with

you need to make sure there is no bleach in the washing detergent, you would have to look up on google for this as we have different brands over here

Uncle Ian was very concerned about this with my Shep Kai, he had alergies and we decided to use baby washing detergent, no fabric conditioner, and tumble dry

this I put as a heads up , he improved

jxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Aug 2020, 19:50

Oh trust me - I totally understand. Every time I get one of his "places" healed up I find another place - this summer for some reason has been worse - not sure what's going on but it's frustrating to say the least. Hang in there :). I try to remind myself the skin issues are not life threatening and are treatable so that's a good thing :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 24 Aug 2020, 12:58

Hi Madelon:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. This skin issue is just crazy. One minute she has a lot of areas with them....2 days later - I can barely find one! The one thing I am wondering is if the chlorine in our pool affects her skin. Ever since we noticed the skin issue, we stopped letting her go in the pool. Now, she has cleared up --- but she still has issues. We rinse her really well after she gets out of the pool - and then later in the day, we give her a full bath. One thing I read - which I found VERY interesting - is that skin conditions like this can be caused from brushing the dog too hard. I do tend to brush her over and over trying to get all of that dander off of her and coming all of hair that is coming off of her from shedding. I'm starting to wonder if I ( :o ) am the cause of her skin problems! So, I have also stopped brushing her. We are trying everything to see what works. If you keep throwing something at the wall - eventually something is going to stick!

As they say "the struggle is real". Thanks again for responding - love hearing from my EPI family. Stay safe & healthy!

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Aug 2020, 18:16

Interesting on the brushing too hard. If it's environmental allergies such as grass, pollens, etc. like my boy, there's no way to keep from ever happening so I just focus on trying to stay on top of things. Hang in there :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 27 Aug 2020, 08:06

Good Morning Madelon:

We have noticed something. When she gets let outside for the first time in the morning, she will come inside, lay down and within seconds start biting like crazy on her feet - mostly front, but also back ones. She also bites like crazy on her tail. She only does it for a bit and then stops - but she is really gnawing pretty hard on her lower legs and by her foot pads. I'm not an expert - but I'm guessing this has something to do with the dew on the grass and the allergens in the air.

She definitely keeps me on my toes trying to figure her out.....but that's okay because we just love her to pieces.

Have a great weekend and thank you for responding. Stay safe.

Lisa & Sadie

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Aug 2020, 09:12

Hi Lisa, maybe talk to your vet about a short course of Apoquel? TJ uses it for about 3 mos of the year. It breaks the cycle and allows his skin to heal. You might try Zymox cortisone spray, works for fungus and bacteria.

https://www.zymox.com/products/zymox-de ... cal-spray/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 01 Sep 2020, 13:32

Hi Jill!!!

Thank you for the suggestions. I am willing to try anything at this point. I continue to check her every night - sometimes twice a day. It is the weirdest skin disorder I could imagine. In the morning, she could have a spot somewhere, but by the end of the day or the next day - it's 100% gone! (I am really wondering if that bad flare up that happened a month ago was from her being in our swimming pool because she hasn't been in the pool for a few weeks and her skin is so much better). She is a water dog - so if we don't bathe her weekly or every other week, her hair/skin gets that oily feel/texture to it.

The Sulfodene we started using seems to be working wonders....but I would like to try something else because I feel so bad seeing her gnawing at her legs and at the end of her back - nearest her rump, in the morning - she goes crazy chewing on those areas. I will let you know if your suggestions work out or not - but I'm excited to try something different!

Thank you. Stay safe & healthy.

Lisa & Sadie

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 26 Oct 2020, 13:28

Hi All:

A few new questions to ask. Sadie's appetite and water intake have changed. First, she is eating more than she was previously. Not what I would consider a significant amount - I would say she wants about another cup of food now after she finishes her dinner. She has gained 2 pounds - but is still very healthy. Second, she is drinking a bit more water than she did previously. When she drinks, she drinks for a longer period now. She still drinks the same number of times per day - it's just that her intake of water is more - but, nothing excessive. The additional "request" for food and the higher water intake have been going on for about 3 weeks now. She goes to the bathroom the same amount, and her stools are still perfect (thank goodness!!) I'm probably worrying about nothing - but ever since her diagnosis I can't seem to not focus on her and any changes I see.

No rush in responding - I know you all are busy helping others. I just would like to hear some opinions and see if anyone thinks I need to take her to the vet for any reason.

Thank you in advance.

Lisa & Sadie

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 04 Jan 2021, 09:10

Good Morning:

Looking for some advice/help. Sadie is doing great - but she is starting to pack on a few more pounds than I think she should. She eats 1 meal a day - 3 cups of food. She is hungry when meal time comes and gobbles up everything in her dish. I am hesitant to change her dog food because she is stable and doing so well. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Question 2 - has anyone else noticed their dog's hair color change? Sadie always had a golden coat. Now, she has a significant amount of white hair! Does this have anything to do with her having EPI? We have had 9 dogs and none of them ever had a color change.

Last question - Sadie is only 3 and I have noticed she has some tartar building up on her teeth. Again - we have never had a dog this young develop tartar so early in life. Is this an EPI issue? Her annual is in 3 months - so going to see what the vet says.

I hope everyone and their pups are doing wonderful. I received my EPI calendar and love it!

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone has.

Lisa & Sadie