New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhlemed...

Post by Barb » 06 Oct 2019, 10:35

Dear Lisa,

We know how overwhelming this feels at first. You are trying to absorb and use all the new information you are learning while you are worried about your pup. It will get better! For some dogs, it takes time for everything to become balanced. Others seem to respond right away. Our Kolby was not one of those.....LOL....we went through 5 or 6 foods before we finally had to go to a prescription diet, which I didn't want to do. And on top of that, Kolby hated the enzymes. But he is now 10 and 1/2 and still going strong. So try not to get impatient, although I know it is hard. It may take time for everything to fall into place.

One thing I highly recommend is keeping a log/journal every day. Record everything you give Sadie and the amounts and then the resulting poo. This saved our sanity. We could see what was working and what wasn't. We could also begin to see patterns that we might not have seen if we hadn't written it down. I was scared to death to switch from what I was using because Kolby reacted to every little change. But we switched without any reaction whatsoever.

You are doing a great job. Hang in there....and ask any questions you think of.

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Oct 2019, 16:31

How are you guys doing today?---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Post by Sadie'sMom » 07 Oct 2019, 16:38

Hi Pam!

Thank you for checking in on Sadie (and us), that is very kind of you.

I can't believe the change we have had with Sadie in just a short period of time. Jill has been by our side step by step and with her help, I can say with excitement that Sadie is going 95% better!!! I can't put her at 100% yet as I think her B12 is still low as she still doesn't quite have the amount of pep she had previously. We purchased the Authority G.F. Chicken & Pea food that was on the list and Sadie loves it. (To make life easier - we put Bella on it too and they both love the new food). Between the new food and correctly incubating the enzymes on the food --- it has made a world of difference! Sadie's poop is 100% normal!!! :D :D :D (So excited I had to put 3 smiley faces for that). Sadie was scratching quite a bit a week ago - but now all of that has stopped as well. And, her coat is so soft it's unbelievable. PLUS, we have noticed the dogs aren't shedding nearly as much as they normally do.

Right now, we just have our fingers crossed as we gave Sadie her last dose of Metro on Saturday evening. So far, so good and we are praying it stays that way. But, if it doesn't, then I will be calling the vet to get some Tylan as we want her off the Metro no matter what.

That's our update. How are you & Tuckaboo doing?

Take care.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 07 Oct 2019, 16:45

Good Afternoon Barb:

First, thank you (too) for checking in on Sadie and us. As you can probably see from my last post, Sadie is doing great and we couldn't be happier. I wish I could stop feeling like the bottom is going to drop out at any minute.....but I know I will get there. I think (hope) that the longer we deal with this, the more comfortable we will get with everything and I won't panic about every little thing that happens with her. Unfortunately, it's in my nature to panic (defective genes I believe). :D

We are keeping a daily log on everything with her ---- which has been a lifesaver. I even took the advice on the forum and I am taking photos of her poops if I see anything concerning. I haven't had to take a photo for several days now because everything has been so good. (I'm sure my neighbors are wondering "why isn't that lady taking any photos of her dogs poop anymore?) :lol:

One day at a time. As I have said many times, I am beyond thankful to be a part of this wonderful and amazing group of people whose only goal is to help one another as best we can. We would like still be at square one if I wouldn't have found this organization. Thank you for checking in on us. I hope all is well with you & Kolby.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 Oct 2019, 14:30

WAHOOOOO!!! Firm poops :) Doc and I are doing the happy poop dance with you. I'm so glad Sadie is doing so well - you've done an excellent job getting her EPI stable quickly. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 10 Oct 2019, 14:38

Hi Madelon:

We never dreamed that one day we would get excited about dog poop. :lol: But it was only with the incredible help of your staff and the information we found on EPI website that we got to where we are at now. Sadie continues to thrive and she is, once again, our happy, spunky little dog whose only goal is to figure out how to get us to throw her ball "just one more time". We found out last night that her vet would like to do a GI panel on her in 2 months to see where her levels are at. We are anxiously looking forward, with fingers crossed, to hearing her levels have improved.

Thank you for your kind post and for checking in on us.

Lisa, Wayne & Sadie

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 10 Oct 2019, 15:20

Happy Poop Dance! Yay! So glad Sadie is doing so well.

I have to admit, I still approach panic when Kolby has a setback or has symptoms I don't recognize. But usually we get back on track a little easier, especially with the help of all the wonderful people here.

There is nothing like the feeling of seeing our pups acting like their silly, playful, relaxed selves. Kolby usually appears in a doorway, his ball placed strategically in front of him with the question on his face, "Is this the best place to put this......so you can reach it and throw it?" Love it.

Keep your good news coming.

Barb

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Oct 2019, 15:40

Nice update Lisa!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 10 Oct 2019, 16:13

Thank you, Barb.

It feels good to have something positive to report. It felt like an eternity before we got to where we are at right now....

Have a great weekend and thank you for your kind words.

Take care.

Lisa

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 27 Oct 2019, 06:26

A little update on Sadie. She continues to thrive, has a lot of energy and generally seems like she is almost 100%. Unusual things I have noticed:

!) Immediately after a meal she burps (loudly) once or twice.
2) When she is done eating, she will have some "tears" (water) under her eyes. Only happens after eating.
3) Once or twice a day, she appears to do a very small burp (makes the motion, no noise) and she it looks like she is chewing something. (Like maybe she burped a little piece of food up and now is lightly chewing, chewing, chewing it and trying to swallow it).

Her poops have been excellent. Appetite excellent. Any thought?

Thank you. Lisa & Sadie