New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Post by Sadie'sMom » 16 Feb 2020, 17:34

Hi Jill:

It is always good hearing from you. Hearing what you and others have said - I just need to let go of the idea of giving her rawhides. I can't believe they fractured your pups molars! Or how much that had to hurt when it happened to Mick AND to Kiya. Sadie is such a quiet dog, that I would never know something is wrong with her. Decision finalized - no rawhides. Only Nylabones from here on out.

Have a great rest of your evening, Jill. 8-)

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Feb 2020, 19:00

Hey there. I think Jill was saying Mickey and Kiya both had teeth issues because of the hard Nylabones - there's always some risk with everything. You might consult with your vet and see what they recommend. Mine told me only Nylabones that the risk of tooth issues was less than the risk with other digestible things.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Feb 2020, 21:57

Thanks Madelon. Yep that is what I meant. Thousands of dogs chew on Nylabones and never have an issue. I seem to get the Aggressive chewers that put the chew as far back as they can get it. No one said a word about the broken teeth, found about it at their check ups!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 17 Feb 2020, 11:16

Hi Jill & Madelon:

Thank you for clarifying! That is problem with being overly tired and reading too fast. About 6 weeks ago, I bought Sadie 2 things from PetSmart. A Nylabone (didn't realize that was the name of it) and a white, boiled bone. She was tearing into the Nylabone and chewing it so hard that we took it away from her as we could see a few small pieces missing. I can't imagine a dog actually chewing one of those things to pieces as it was as hard as a brick! I can definitely see how a pup would chip their teeth on that.

The white boiled bone was a hit --- for about 5 minutes and then she got bored with it. She will gnaw on it a few times a week for about 5 minutes - but that's about it. Have to learn to focus on what I can give her and not on what I can't.

Thank you for your continued help.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Feb 2020, 22:32

EPI can be so overwhelming in the beginning - you're doing a great job!! I worry about the Nylabones - my GSD tears into them and chews them down to nothing in no time flat but to me it's better than the other options. We all have to do what we feel is right and safe for our babies - glad you found something that lasts even if only for a few minutes LOL
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 18 Feb 2020, 08:38

Good Morning Madelon:

You are absolutely right about the feelings I went through when Sadie was diagnosed. It took overwhelming to a whole new level. But as the months have passed and she has stabilized and continues to thrive, things have finally started to calm down for us. First we worried about losing her --- no we worry about making sure we do everything right for her to keep her as healthy and stable as possible. You are right - every one of us has to make our own path on this journey with our pups....but our family can do this so much easier knowing we have the support, advice and love of this group of amazing people.

Thank you for everything thus far.

Lisa & Sadie

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 05 Mar 2020, 15:09

Hi All:

We have a co-worker whose husband just passed away. They asked that donations be made to each person's favorite charity. It goes without saying, EPI4DOGS is my favorite charity. I have the check written out, but I don't have an address to give to them so they can send it to you (the check is going in with the sympathy card). Could someone please provide me with an address today as I need to put it in today. Sorry for the late notice - we just found out.

Thank you.

Lisa

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 12 Mar 2020, 07:58

Special thanks to Jill for providing the Foundations address so my donation can be mailed.

Thank you.

Lisa & Sadie

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 19 Apr 2020, 08:55

Good Morning All:

Need some quick help please. Sadie has been doing great for quite some time now. I recently started giving her, along with her Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea enzymed kibble, 1/4 of a can of Authority Grain Free wet dog food to mask the enzymes and because she isn't a fan of "just" dog food. I have purchased 2 different flavors of the wet food. One is Chicken & Vegetable (had this one many times with no problems) and the other is Fish & Potatoes. She has had the Fish one once before without a problem. Last night I fed her the fish one and I noticed after her meal she had substantially louder belching after her meal.

This morning, she threw up twice. The first one looked like mushy food (looked exactly like the wet dog food that was in the can - all soft) and I could see a few very, very small pieces of potato. The second throw up was just a bit of water - nothing else. I feel stupid even asking this - but can I assume her throwing up was from her meal last night because of the potato bits? OR - could it be something else as I have no idea how long her body would need to have this food in her system before she would react to it? (Thinking of the carrot trick).

I am sick to my stomach right now because she has been doing incredibly well and I don't want to see her take any steps backwards. Would appreciate ANY suggestions/thought/ideas right now. And, yes, I won't ever feed her that fish/potato food ever again - nor anything else with bits of potatoes. I have some Slippery Elm Bark on hand from Wonderlabs. Have never used it. Do I need to give this to her? Or hold off. Heck, I don't even remember the reason I bought it!

Thank you, in advance, for any help and guidance I receive.

Lisa & Sadie

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 19 Apr 2020, 09:35

UPDATE:

Just took her outside. 1st half of poop was normal, 2nd half was soft and lighter color. Then, walking her around a bit in the yard, she tried to eat grass 3 times (was successful once in getting a tiny bit).

UPDATE #2: 1 hour has now passed and she just threw up 3 times. All slimy stuff, a little bile, and a few small pieces of grass. She is now resting in her kennel - VERY unlike her - obviously her stomach is not happy.

I am freaking out (because I always think the worst). Just a blip that will pass? Or need to do something different for her for awhile?

Lisa