My dog has a fever now????

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Hoosier
State: Indiana
Pet name: Shelby
My name: Sheila

My dog has a fever now????

Post by Hoosier » 19 Oct 2019, 23:08

My Shelby is now running a temp of 104.4. What can I do at home to try and reduce it? I cant lift her to take her to an emergency hospital either. I cant find anyone at home either on a Saturday night to help me.

I have been trying to put cold wet wash cloths on her paws to try and reduce it but so far it hasn't helped.
I now am putting cool towels under her and over her.

Now I am really scared she has never ran a fever before. She is already on Keflex and has been for about a week now. She only has 6 more days of it to take. If she has an infection wouldn't the Keflex be helping with that.
I am Sheila and I am Shelby's mommy.
She is not EPI positive according to Dr. Barko from his TLI testing. But she does have a pancreas problem .
She is on 6x enzyme 1.5 tsp on each meal. She eats Forza 10 Sensitive Skin formula and gets 1.5 cups 2 x per day. She currently weighs just under 100 lbs. She takes B-12 (2)pills every other weekend. She suffers from yeast that I cannot get rid of. She gets 4 pills of antihistamine each day 2 with each meal.

Shelby left my world on November 19-2019 She will be forever missed and loved.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: My dog has a fever now????

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Oct 2019, 23:46

I just read to wet a cloth and keep paw pads and ears cool.

I would think Keflex would knock down an infection. Will your pup eat ice chips?

I would see a vet if fever persists as soon as you get help, especially if it goes up to 105 that is an emergency.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Hoosier

Post by Hoosier » 19 Oct 2019, 23:56

Thanks Jill, I did have her back paws wrapped up in cool rags and one on top of her head. IT did nothing to reduce the fever. I now have her laying on a cool towel and one on top of her body just paying on it. She is showing sign of anxiety with me doing all these things to her and then sticking a thermometer up her butt. She is good while I do it but it still seems to stress her. I have not been able to get her to eat any ice chips at all and she hasn't drank in water for a few hours now either. I will give her some water with a syringe.
She is not EPI positive according to Dr. Barko from his TLI testing. But she does have a pancreas problem .
She is on 6x enzyme 1.5 tsp on each meal. She eats Forza 10 Sensitive Skin formula and gets 1.5 cups 2 x per day. She currently weighs just under 100 lbs. She takes B-12 (2)pills every other weekend. She suffers from yeast that I cannot get rid of. She gets 4 pills of antihistamine each day 2 with each meal.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 20 Oct 2019, 04:49

Have you phoned the emergency vets for advice? They maybe
have a list of pet taxi people.
Different antibiotics work on different bacteria. I got through three different ones for my UTI, though that may be completely irrelevant.
If she is urinating, try and catch a sample in a Tupperware box. Also encourage her to drink water or lick ice cubes, ice lollies, ice cream, watered down dog food.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 20 Oct 2019, 08:55

How is she this morning? If you call the Emergency Vet, they can give you steps over the phone to lower the fever.....Are there any mobile vet services in the area that can go to your house?

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Oct 2019, 09:06

Hi Sheila. How is Shelby doing? Were you able to get the fever down or get her to the vets? Please let us know how you both are doing.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Hoosier

Post by Hoosier » 20 Oct 2019, 09:41

Hi all long night short on sleep. I just fed Shelby and gave her all of her meds and then took her temp it is still a fever at 103.5. I am using a human digital thermometer. I guess it is ok to use it. Last night was the first time I have taken her temp through out all of this since going to the vet Wednesday.
I called a 24 hour animal hospital but they decline to give me any advice on how to lower her fever. All they said was to bring her in for an examination. What can they do for her at the ER place? I guess they can try and lower her fever for starts. Maybe run some more blood work maybe even a urine test. I have tried to catch her urine but she wont pee when I am standing there with a bowl to catch it. She knows that is normal procedure when she is outside. Smart girl! ! ! ! Its not all about the money it will cost it is about what they can find out for the money. I have hardly had any sleep. Right now I have a cold wet towel on her . Should the towel be wet? It seemed the only way to get it cold the fasted. I have tried the ice cube thing and she spits them out. I hold her mouth closed to keep on in there to melt. She did drink some water this morning around 6 and peed. This is so worrisome. She has never ran a fever before so I know she is fighting off something.

No as far as I know the in home service or taxi service for a pet does not exist here. Would be great if there was one.

Hoosier

Post by Hoosier » 20 Oct 2019, 11:09

Can Sibo cause a fever? I fed her around 9am and I hear her tummy making noises but it could just be digesting her food. Wondering if she has SIBO could it be bad enough to make her temp go up. Just started her on the Tylan so it hasn't had enough chance to do any improvement yet. I need some sleep.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Oct 2019, 14:06

Hi, Sheila. How is Shelby doing today? Were you able to get her to the vet? Let us know how you both are doing.

Barb

Hoosier

Post by Hoosier » 21 Oct 2019, 16:11

Hi Barb and Madelon,
Took Shelby to the Vet today her fever was 104.9 I couldn't believe it. Did more blood work, took a chest xray, put fluids in her under her skin to last at least 24 hours, gave her a anti-inflamation shot. We are home now for a few ours and so far she still has a fever. I will check her temp at least 2 times per day maybe 3. She hates it so much and it stresses her out. The vet really does not know why she is running a temp at this point. So far nothing in all the last blood results was to concerning.

I am so worried about my girl. The next step he said is if her fever doesn't break then she will have to stay there with an IV to put in cold fluids and whatever it takes to get her fever down.

Her xray showed she had a lot of stool still in her. I have noticed she only poops once a day instead of twice and the volume is not as much either. I asked him if that could be a problem with old stool staying in there too long. He told me I could give her pumpkin for fiber. I will do that but is there anything else you all can recommend too. I know for EPI pets you want less poop. She doesn't need all that extra poop in her.

Also are ingredients like Garbanzo beans, chickpeas, lentyls, flaxseed bad for our dogs in their food and why?

Pray for my girl please that she gets better .. PLEASE....... Thank you.