My dog has a fever now????

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Patsy

Re: My dog has a fever now????

Post by Patsy » 06 Nov 2019, 16:19

I agree. Having Mr Slow on holiday, and junior vets unwilling to look after your sick pet is unsatisfactory.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Hoosier
State: Indiana
Pet name: Shelby
My name: Sheila

Post by Hoosier » 06 Nov 2019, 16:46

jilbert57 wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 13:10 Just a thought. Is your thermometer accurate?

Jill

I hope so it is brand new. It seems to be working great. I wasn't real sure about the other 2 I used a couple of times so I went and bought a couple of new ones.
I am Sheila and I am Shelby's mommy.
She is not EPI positive according to Dr. Barko from his TLI testing. But she does have a pancreas problem .
She is on 6x enzyme 1.5 tsp on each meal. She eats Forza 10 Sensitive Skin formula and gets 1.5 cups 2 x per day. She currently weighs just under 100 lbs. She takes B-12 (2)pills every other weekend. She suffers from yeast that I cannot get rid of. She gets 4 pills of antihistamine each day 2 with each meal.

Shelby left my world on November 19-2019 She will be forever missed and loved.

Hoosier
State: Indiana
Pet name: Shelby
My name: Sheila

Post by Hoosier » 06 Nov 2019, 17:01

Jean wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 04:27 https://dogtime.com/dog-health/53053-ce ... de-effects

this is from the drug you are mentioning and it talks about fever as a reaction to the drug

remember this is YOUR dog, YOUR money, YOU employ the vet, so I wouldnt tolerate fever with no origin, or anything like it , its a good cop out

you mention lethargy, if there are tummy issues, they are not going to be interested in walking around

Jeanx

Thanks Jean I had not known all of this about Keflex. Shelby has been on this antibiotic so many times in the past for skin and ear issues without any side effects. Yes she was on Keflex or Cephalexin while the fever came on. She was on it for her ears. She had been shaking her head a lot and flushing them out didn't make the shaking the head go away. So if it was the Cephalexin then why is she still running a fever? She has been off the med for 15 days today. I took her off of it a little early because there was no improve in her. Matter of fact she is still shaking her head too not quite as bad as before. The vet says her ears looked fine the last time we saw him which was 2 weeks ago today. How long can it stay in her system and cause issues?
I am Sheila and I am Shelby's mommy.
She is not EPI positive according to Dr. Barko from his TLI testing. But she does have a pancreas problem .
She is on 6x enzyme 1.5 tsp on each meal. She eats Forza 10 Sensitive Skin formula and gets 1.5 cups 2 x per day. She currently weighs just under 100 lbs. She takes B-12 (2)pills every other weekend. She suffers from yeast that I cannot get rid of. She gets 4 pills of antihistamine each day 2 with each meal.

Shelby left my world on November 19-2019 She will be forever missed and loved.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 07 Nov 2019, 10:48

have you tried ear wipes for the head shaking ?

Kara had permanent ear issues, usually with yeast and her paws started as well,

they crack you up

im dont know how long they stay is the system , maybe the manufacturers could advise

jx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx