Fireworks nervousness

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Fireworks nervousness

Post by Floramac » 21 Oct 2019, 05:53

Hi, can anyone recommend any calming tablets. Kenzie gets very anxious and stressed with fireworks. There are so many on the market, I am hoping someone has found good one? I thought maxxidog - maxxicalm Calming Aid for Dogs and Dorwest Herbs Scullcap and Valerian Tablets, both natural and good reviews. Thanks
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Fireworks nervousness

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Oct 2019, 08:24

Hi. I don't know if you can get Vetriscience products where you live but I have been using their Composure product:

https://www.vetriscience.com/index.php? ... =900780060

I have a 4 yo Jack russell and 13 yo Aussie who are very nervous at fireworks. About 4 days before the issue I start with the Composure to build up then use the Maximum dose on the day of. It works for us. I get it from Amazon.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 22 Oct 2019, 04:04

hi there

Vetriscience gets a good review

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254325087865

I only ever went to the vets for something like Valium

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 22 Oct 2019, 10:05

Have you also tried the Thunder Shirt with Kenzie? I have heard that people have good results with it. I wish I would have had it for our Bridge GSD as he was terrified of fireworks noise and many other noises. Our Kolby is not fazed in the least by those noises. Every dog is so different.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 22 Oct 2019, 10:21

Poor little Kenzie - my non-EPI dog, Roxy is the same way with fireworks, thunderstorms, gun shots, any loud noises. She now won't even go outside if she smells it's going to rain :(. I haven't tried the VetriScience product - I got a prescription from the vet however I don't like that it makes her a zombie for a long time. I tried the Thundershirt and it helped a little but not enough. Breaks my heart for these babies when they're so scared.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 22 Oct 2019, 17:42

I’ve tried the Dorwest herbs with Marti, the springer spaniel . It knocked her out completely, not what I intended. Then I’ve tried the plug in aromatics, and the over the counter calming tablets you start a few weeks before. None worked.
Now my Tinker, weight five kilos , panics crazily for a couple of hours. A couple of years ago I asked the vet, who prescribed a pre-med surgery drug, in a tube to rub on the gums. It worked, and gave her a long lasting result to further bangs. BUT, she is completely healthy and I wouldn’t risk it on anEpi dog. I’ve read it can have neuro side effects. So this year I’m just putting loud music on.
A thunder shirt might work a bit, and hiding in the airing cupboard or under my bed.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 24 Oct 2019, 07:57

Thanks for all the advice. We are trying lintbells calming chews as she has lintbells you move with no problem. Also got a thunder shirt. Fingers crossed, it's horrible seeing our beloved dogs so stressed.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 24 Oct 2019, 14:49

I know how you feel. It got worse as our Bridge shepherd got older....sorry to tell you that. He started to react to many strange things, like the waffle iron buzzer and the sound of football crowds on TV. We are pretty sure it was neurological with him because he developed Degenerative Myelopathy later in life.

My neighbor said her dog responded well to rescue remedy, which you can get in vitamin shops or online. It is a natural calming substance made from flowers. I did not have success with it, but others did.

It is hard to see our pups so stressed.

Barb

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 25 Oct 2019, 12:11

I read that it was actually the brandy in Rescue Remedy that worked! Seriously.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Oct 2019, 12:39

That is true! They now make an alcohol free version. Probably doesn't work as we.. :D
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.