EPI Welsh Corgi - Looking for knowledgeable vet

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
MomofWinston
State: Washington
Pet name: Winston
My name: Ursula

EPI Welsh Corgi - Looking for knowledgeable vet

Post by MomofWinston » 23 Oct 2019, 15:53

Hi -
I am not confident that my veterinary doctor is up to the problem-solving task of EPI management.
I live in the Pacific Northwest, state of Washington, City of Olympia (which is between Tacoma and Portland) at the west coast. Does anyone have a good veterinary recommendation in my area of someone who has extensive experience with this condition?
Thanks.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: EPI Welsh Corgi - Looking for knowledgeable vet

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Oct 2019, 20:58

Hi Ursula,

you can try and find a vet more well versed in EPI...... OR..... talk to friends and neighbors and find out what vet they used..... and try to find a vet that people really like because the vet actually LISTENS to the pet owner and works WITH the pet owner.

Actually some of the best vets to treat EPI dogs are those that initially no nothing about EPI but are so excited to have an EPI "case" that they do research on their own, try to learn as much as they can about the condition, and what the latest research on EPI is and then they are excited to work with you step-by-step to give your EPI dog the best possible care. Taking care of an EPI dog is a process. You start out with the standard recommendations, but then the trick is learning what to "tweak" so that you find the right balance of the recommended protocol that works best for your individual EPI dog.

In the meantime.... i think Jill might live near/around you... and if so, maybe she has some vet recommendations.......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: EPI Welsh Corgi - Looking for knowledgeable vet

Post by Madelon » 24 Oct 2019, 14:12

Ditto what Olesia said. My vet was quick to diagnose Doc based on the fact that he was a GSD and had the symptoms, but she had never treated an EPI dog before. She was very open and willing to learn with me - I brought her information printed from this website and we discussed things and she now refers to this website and has referred other clients to me for advice/support.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.