New Skinny Dog

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

New Skinny Dog

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Nov 2019, 08:06

I am rescuing a very skinny hound mix, and I wonder if you have any advice. I think maybe her problem has been underfeeding, so I'm starting there, adding 50% more kibble, and I'm adding B12, if that makes sense. I have not yet seen her poo, because she's still stressed & hasn't gone (she came last night & has eaten twice), but here's my problem----I can't remember what the early stages of EPI looked like for Tucker; I know it was in the last few months before treatment that I noticed the extremely awful poo & the manic desire to eat it, but I don't remember much else, other than he was always a little skinny. This girl is extremely skinny, and I'm not going to be able to pay for a test for her, so in the meantime are there early signs someone can point me to? I'll come back with a poo report as soon as I see some, and my fingers are crossed that all she needs is some extra calories & some TLC. Thanks, guys. Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam

Re: New Skinny Dog

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Nov 2019, 08:10

Addendum: The only reason I've taken on this responsibility is, she's my grandson's dog, and he is a little less heartbroken, knowing he can come visit her anythime. Also, this girl is u g l y, bless her heart, and I doubt she'd ever get adopted by anyone else! . ;) P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Nov 2019, 08:23

SUCH a good poo!!!! Yea! So, any hints are simply fattening her up? Thanks! Pam (I realize this is off subject, so I won't be mentioning her again)

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 16 Nov 2019, 09:38

Pam , nothing off subject, and that I am so happy this dog has a good home, and thank you for doing this

please let us know all about her, she is now family, we need a picture,

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Nov 2019, 11:21

Pam, so nice of you to do this! Even ugly dogs need someone lol and they thrive and sometimes turn out to be the best dogs!
You could add a little coconut oil, add a kong with biscuit and peanut butter in it.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Nov 2019, 15:13

GREAT idea! She will have to stay in her crate while I'm at work, until we can learn more about her; the peanut butter & biscuit in a kong is perfect. Thanks so much!---Pam Oh, we now have a basketball team, if you know what I mean.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 17 Nov 2019, 12:00

fraid I dont Pam
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Nov 2019, 15:39

How wonderful of you to give this girl a home so that she and your grandson can still be close. A lovely example for him, too. I also hope that you are just dealing with her needing more calories and lots of TLC....but just in case here are some other things to look for if you are suspicious of EPI. Every dog is different and some give more signs than others at the beginning.

Our Kolby had poops that were sometimes large, and off and on would have a tinge of yellow in them. It wasn't all the time, so that sort of threw us off at the beginning.

Some dogs get diarrhea, either off and on, or nonstop.

Some dogs' poos have a strong unpleasant odor.

Some dogs have voluminous stools all the time.

Many dogs seem continually hungry (Kolby did not act that way). Some eat their stools.

Weight loss. Kolby did start to lose slowly....a pound here and there.

Change in behavior. Some dogs act fearful or dog aggressive....or if their B12 is low, as is usually the case, they might become lethargic and stop wanting to eat. Kolby suddenly became fearful of getting in the car, which he used to love (he was 1 year when diagnosed).

Many dogs exhibit tummy sounds and noises.....they might be gassy and seem uncomfortable.

We hope your pup is just getting adjusted. Please let us know how she is doing. She is a lucky girl to have you. And your grandson is very fortunate also.

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 23 Nov 2019, 21:15

Jean, we now have five dogs, and that is enough for a basketball team! We have a shepherd mix (EPI Tucker), a hound mix, a maltipoo, a maltese, and a Jack Russell/sheltie cross. They are all found/rehomed to us, they are a motely crew, and they don't always get along.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 23 Nov 2019, 21:57

Nothing is off topic in this group and THANK YOU for taking care of this pup :) If you're dealing with some off poops, Slippery Elm is great for a non-EPI dog or an EPI dog. As Jill said if you're trying to add weight try organic cold pressed coconut oil, salmon oil and feeding a bit extra. You could also try satin balls - we use a lot of those in the rescue I volunteer with. Keep us posted as we love ALL dogs :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.