Merry, the Cattle dog

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Merry, the Cattle dog

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Nov 2019, 12:44

It is with heavy heart that i write this for Maureen, the human companion to Merry.

Merry was a Cattledog who was well managed for over 13yrs with EPI and just passed away at the grand old age of 16+1/2 years. Once she was properly diagnosed with EPI her condition and was well managed with the EPI protocol Merry won 18 Herding Titles.... most of these titles were secured AFTER her EPI diagnosis. As we have always said, please know that an EPI dog can do ANY thing any other dog can do, once the EPI is well managed. Here is Merry's story.

She was born in June 2003 full sister to my dog Pippin. She went the home of my herding instructor and for 8 months we saw no more of her. The instructor says one day she was going to have to rehome Merry as she had no herding instinct. I was amazed. Things went from bad to worse and the owner became very ill and we took Merry. She was quiet and soft not like her sister. I thought I will teach her agility and get on with life. The following summer I was in Vernon training Pippin and I thought I would give one more chance. To my total amazement she went straight out on a square flank and down the fence line and there were sheep coming at us at 100 k. The herding instructor looks at me and says “no instinct ay”. The stage was set. We never did agility and she became my go to dog. Someone once told me Merry will never let you down and in 11 years of trialing she never did. She even did a shed for me when neither one of us had ever seen one before. At the end of her career she had 18 herding titles including RLF 3 from AHBA. She was the dog that Lynn Leach used to let dog break the lambs every year. Little babies 2 or 3 weeks old and she would bump them with her nose to get them moving.
About 2 years after we got her she became very ill, clearly dying. The diagnosis EPI her pancreas doesn’t produce any digestive enzymes. Mostly a GSD disease with a life expectancy even with treatment of less than 10 years. That was May 2006. We put enzymes on everything she eats including treats and every day is a bonus. Most of her titles were gained after the diagnosis. She is a poster child for the Vet School at a big Eastern US university. She is very deaf and quite creaky in the back but every day she goes for a walk with great joy and visits with her many friends. We know her time is limited but as long as she is well and has some joy of life our lives are better for having had her.

Sadly, yesterday we had to let Merry go. She will forever be in our hearts.
God Speed Merry
June 24 2003 to November 15 2019
Attachments
Merry3.jpg
Merry3.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Merry4.jpg
Merry4.jpg (123.56 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Merry, the Cattle dog

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Nov 2019, 12:51

I am so sorry to read you had to let your Merry go. What a wonderful tribute to her. She led a full life and thanks to you she got her herding instincts to come out. Thank you for the pictures she is gorgeous.
God-Speed Merry and hugs to you all.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 17 Nov 2019, 11:38

my heart is with you

I lost my Kara this May

love and hugs

jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Nov 2019, 16:04

What an inspiring and beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it. I am sorry for your loss, but you truly gave Merry a wonderful life. So often our EPI dogs are such special dogs in some way. EPI is the gift we never asked for, but often it shows us what is really important. Merry truly was a gift to you and all who came in contact with her. Thank you again for sharing her story with us.

Barb

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 20 Nov 2019, 14:18

What a wonderful long life !! Hugs and prayers to the family, I know you will miss her alot. Thanks for Merrys story and beautiful pictures .Run fast and free !
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Nov 2019, 22:53

I'm so sorry for your loss. Merry had a long wonderful life thanks to you. Run free sweet Merry.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.