10+ weeks of green diarrhea-struggling

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
MomofWinston
State: Washington
Pet name: Winston
My name: Ursula

10+ weeks of green diarrhea-struggling

Post by MomofWinston » 16 Nov 2019, 15:46

Hello -
I have written before. I have a Welsh Corgi who has been diagnosed with EPI and SIBO.
This after roughly four weeks of diarrhea and numerous tests. That was early October.
Have used two different regimens of antibiotics in the meantime, enzymes from two different sources, adjusted his diet, tweaked his diet,
more tests, an ultrasound.
We still have diarrhea, no improvement at all, except, thank God, he has regained some weight.
I am very frustrated and very concerned, definitely much more concerned than any vet I have seen.
How long can a dog be with diarrhea and stay healthy? He has had it for over 10 weeks. At times with mucus and a lot of blood.
Two weeks ago, my dog did get lethargic, had low blood pressure, low temperature, was dehydrated.
Had to go to the emergency hospital and he got better with intravenous fluids.
When can this happen again, despite B12 shots, and this constant diarrhea?
I would really appreciate some advice on how and where to find a veterinarian who has in-depth knowledge of this condition and can discuss a pro-active (not reactive) path.
Thanks.
Ursula and Winston

jilbert57
Staff

Re: 10+ weeks of green diarrhea-struggling

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Nov 2019, 16:06

Hi Ursula, have parasites in your pup been ruled out? Are you still feeding a homemade diet?

https://epi4dogs.com/recommended-vets/

Scroll down to Washington and there are a few listed. I am up the Hood Canal in Brinnon and have gone to South Sound in Olympia. (However my two do not have Epi)Who is your current vet?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 16 Nov 2019, 19:28

What are you feeding at the moment, some vet suggestions don’t help epi. Some dogs can’t cope with chicken at all. You could try fish in your mash
Olesia said previously that the green colour indicates fast transit of food. So the guts are thrashing around, and the mucous and blood indicates damage to the gut lining (which can heal very quickly). Have you been given anything for this, like a mucilage? Otherwise we recommend Slippery Elm, same thing, and harmless. It coats the sore gut to let it heal and soothe. Olesia did mention it.
Severe inflammation can be treated with steroids for a short while. People with ulcerative colitis or Crohns do this at first, before more complicated treatment.
How much is he drinking and weeing?
I’m not in the US, and so don’t know your enzyme instructions. Are they different for home made diets? At least Winston put back a little weight, if it’s not just water.
You are doing ok with watching the changes, especially the fluid. I hope you find a helpful vet. It is so hard at first, we all had different problems to work through.
Keep giving us progress reports.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

MomofWinston
Pet name: Winston
My name: Ursula

Post by MomofWinston » 16 Nov 2019, 21:37

Thanks for the replies ...
No parasites (In a way I wished there were ... then I would know more about cause ... )
Full blood work with nothing unusual.
Ultrasound, nothing unusual at first glance. Still waiting for radiologist report.
Diet is home-made low fiber, and therefore high protein (72% of calories, chicken and pork) and high fat (22% of calories) at the moment.
I am not comfortable with that, because since I started that diet, he has had extremely large wizzles. Must be hard on kidneys.
I am going back to low fat with chicken, a little pork, and cooked oats, broccoli. Deleted oats and used sweet potatoes for a few days. That did not go well.
I have never fed fish to any of my dogs. I have no experience with that.
Slippery elm is on order. At the moment I am trying to re-balance the gut flora with more acidity (Yoghurt, probiotics).
I wished I could do an enema on my dog, and just clean out his gut, and start adding good bacteria. And just start over. Has anyone done that?
Thanks.
Ursula.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 17 Nov 2019, 11:58

we had this with Kara she was shedding her bowel due to a very bad bout of SIBO

We had her blood tested for protein intollerances

beef, pork, white fish,and most of all chicken

she could tollerate porcine enzymes thankfully

we then reduced her protein levels and gave her lamb only for life

she couldnt tolerate high fat either, just middle of the road

she couldnt deal with any cereal, or rice

this might interest you

https://epi4dogs.com/fecal-transplants/

might be worthwhile getting a test for intollerances

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Nov 2019, 15:56

Hello. I am so sorry your pup is having difficulties.

Sometimes finding the right food fit for your dog is the hardest part at the beginning. We went through many different foods before we found the right one for Kolby. So hang in there. It does sound like he might have a food intolerance.

You mentioned that you have tried enzymes from two different sources. Have you tried Enzyme Diane's enzymes? She is a member here and her own dog, Sarge, had EPI. He has since passed, but we have the good fortune to still have Diane providing our enzymes .......at very reasonable cost. If you are interested, you can go to her website and /or speak to her on the phone. Her number is published on her site.

Try not to get discouraged. I do remember how hard it was not being able to find a good food for Kolby. But he is 10 and 1 /2 now and going strong.
Please keep us posted with his progress and any new information you receive.

Barb