My beloved Shelby

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Hoosier
State: Indiana
Pet name: Shelby
My name: Sheila

My beloved Shelby

Post by Hoosier » 20 Nov 2019, 18:49

Yesterday we had to say goodbye to our beloved Shelby. She was not just a dog she was my baby. I had to spoon feed her just like you would a baby for the last 4 years of her life so she would eat her food with enzyme. She meant more to me than words can express. Her brother was laid to rest just this past July 25 less than 4 months ago and now my beloved baby girl. Shelby was only 9 years old. Aug 1-2019 to November 19-2019
When we got Shelby she was skinny and I said I have to take her to save her. She always had something wrong with her from ear infections to skin infections battling yeast and diarrhea a lot. When she was almost 5 she got really sick and lost some weight and had really bad diarrhea. Switching foods did not seem to help, but I found this forum that I can truly say saved her life. I learned so much from here and did everything I that was suggested and Shelby gained weight and got to 117 lbs. She was doing great. She was the best companion and was so funny. She brought us so much joy and love. She was the sweetest dog and so smart too. We had to spell words at times so she wouldn't know but she caught on and knew what some words spelled meant. She knew we loved her and we knew she loved us. She loved to paly ball and loved her orange chuck it the best not the blue on the orange one. She always greeted us everyone we came in the door no matter if we were gone for 5 minutes or 2 hours. She was always glad to see us. She loved to chase the squirrels and cats and did not like the dogs next door. She loved to bark at them to let them know it too. I did get my last kiss from her and she willingly gave it to me and licked my hand. I miss her more than I can express.
She will always be in my heart and she will and could never be replaced. Mommy loves you baby girl forever.
I am Sheila and I am Shelby's mommy.
She is not EPI positive according to Dr. Barko from his TLI testing. But she does have a pancreas problem .
She is on 6x enzyme 1.5 tsp on each meal. She eats Forza 10 Sensitive Skin formula and gets 1.5 cups 2 x per day. She currently weighs just under 100 lbs. She takes B-12 (2)pills every other weekend. She suffers from yeast that I cannot get rid of. She gets 4 pills of antihistamine each day 2 with each meal.

Shelby left my world on November 19-2019 She will be forever missed and loved.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: My beloved Shelby

Post by jilbert57 » 20 Nov 2019, 20:45

Sheila, I am so sorry you had to let Shelby go. It is such a hard thing to do. It sounds like she had a great sense of humor. Thank you for sharing her life with us.
God speed Shelby❤

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Post by Sadie'sMom » 20 Nov 2019, 21:25

Sheila:

My heart breaks for the loss of your beloved Shelby and her brother. I can't imagine losing two fur babies so close together. I, too, have always loved our dogs like they were my children. Every day our pups teach us the value lesson of how to love unconditionally no matter what. I am sure Shelby loved and appreciated you so much because you saved her. Because of you she thrived and obviously had a wonderful, fun filled life. What an amazing act of unselfishness on your part to spoon feed her for as long as you did. You saved her....and she saved you.

Prayers to you as you grieve your loss. God speed Shelby - you were loved.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Nov 2019, 22:49

Oh Sheila, I am so so so so sorry. I remember when you first came on to the forum and the struggles you went through with the allergies. Shelby knew you loved her beyond measure and would do anything for her, which you did. Run free sweet Shelby.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 21 Nov 2019, 02:51

hi Sheila

our pets are our family and as I have no children, more so

I am so with you here I lost my Kara aged 9 years 10 months this May and it hurts like hell

this forum was my saviour when she was diagnosed at 14 months old, and I will always be eternally in their debt

much love from across the water

Jeanxxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Nov 2019, 15:51

Sheila, I am so sorry to read of your loss of Shelby. You have been such a good "mum" to her.

There is no pain quite like losing our beloved pups. They truly take a piece of our hearts with them. But the emptiness we feel can become the space where their light shines through to us. May it guide you toward healing. We walk the path with you.

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 21 Nov 2019, 16:18

Sheila, I am so sorry. She is in heaven now, where all dogs are good dogs, and all have homes, where there are fields full of squirrels to chase, and where the angels all have dog biscuits, which they feed her any time she wants. Sometimes you may feel her near, and that is because she has come back to check on you. I'm sure she'll bring her brother along, too. Take care of yourself---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.