MY THOUGHTS ON EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

MY THOUGHTS ON EPI

Post by Jean » 21 Nov 2019, 06:10

I posted this on the old forum some years ago

you have this dog or cat and its ill, and it looks to you for help and you havent a clue, and they get thinner and thinner and more pathetic and you look on the website and you find this forum and it all falls into place, and so you visit your vet and tests are run, and you have a diagnosis, and your world falls apart, you did not sign up for this when this bundle of fur came to you, and it looks like it might not make it, and once you are out of the vets surgery you are on your own

most of the time with illnesses, its a few tablets and they are well, this time you find out EPI is for life and you basically crack up

you are introduced to new words, EPI SIBO ENZYMES B12 FOLATE etc etc and you are even more bewildered because you have never had to consider the internal workings of an animal

so again you visit this site and realise you are not on your own, and you start to breathe again, and you get support and love from all over the world and its so weird as your best friends cannot help but these folk can

I just want to say to all the new folk that we have all been there and "cried a river" and dont ever give up!!!!

we are five years down the line now and we still have issues now and again and I discuss them with my fellow UK friends and we come up with a solution just recently I changed Karas food with the insistance of Uncle Ian my vet and I had a long conversation with Anne Gillian and Val from the UK for thoughts and felt a lot more confident and I thank you all for your input

so please keep in touch new people its so important to fly the flag of EPI

Thank God for the internet

so all the new folk here recently please take heart and have a read on my thoughts

Jean

as you can see this is a long time ago and we no longer have my girl, but its totally relevant

--
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

adriannemary91
Pet name: HAPPY
My name: Maria

Re: MY THOUGHTS ON EPI

Post by adriannemary91 » 21 Nov 2019, 11:53

Dear Jean;

I can remember the day I came to this page.

I was totally broken and abated by my baby's diagnosis.

My mind changed as soon as I get information. Photographs, stories, tips from all the EPI dogs's mums ...

I remember arriving home with a huge smile and telling my boyfriend " ok, honey, Happy is going to be ok"

Since then, everything went better.

You dont have idea how supported I felt. And now, i know, we are not alone.

I have no words, (even in spanish) to say thank you, to all of you. To all the lovely people who answer my questions in the forum and help Happy to feel better.
Happy is a two and a half year old dog and has been diagnosed with EPI 2 on September 2019.

TLI= 1.19

Hills prescription diet i/d - 2 creon 10.000 per meal - Hidroxil B12 1 pill per day - probiotic 1 fortiflora ( royan cannin) per day.

Lowest weight 4,700 kg
Current weight : 6,800 kg

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 21 Nov 2019, 13:40

Maria, its the way I felt in 2010

I am so pleased you and Happy are getting there, and have many years ahead

this FORUM was, and is my lifeline, and am proud to be its director

much love

J
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Nov 2019, 14:01

Thank you Jean for re-posting Your Thoughts on EPI.... a very good read!

And Maria, thank you so much for your very kind words ... so many us us have been in your shoes when are dogs were first diagnosed or struggling with EPI..... but by sharing personal experiences, collective knowledge, and working with actual EPI veterinarian researchers on how to better handle EPI, how to get it under good control..... has been a "gift" for so many of us..... that we in turn hope to help others too!

I am so glad to hear that "Happy" is doing well now ... that is AWESOME news!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........