Newly diagnosed dog

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
halcyon
Pet name: Kippy
My name: Hillary

Newly diagnosed dog

Post by halcyon » 23 Nov 2019, 15:29

Hi. I have been reading and learning. My dog was diagnosed today with epi. His level are at 1.5 for the epi tat itself and his b12 is low. I ordered a sample bag from enzymediane today. Does anyone know how long it takes to get? Hoping to get it before the holiday on thursday. I als nordered wonderland b12 although my vet wants him to start weekly injections. Is there a difference? He has been slowly switching over to Purina focus and American journey grain free wet, and has been taking a probitoics and slippery Elm for his gi inflammation.

He has gone from 21 pounds to 14 pounds and initially the vets wouldn't test for epi although I said at the very firstvet visit two weeks ago that I suspected he had it. Do I feed the normal amount of food or a bit more? I am already feeding him 3 small meals a day.

I am sad. Sad because there is literally NOTHING my Jack loves more than food and now he can't have even a bite of our table food. I also have two other dogs who loves bones and treats and he can't have those either. :|

Glad this forum exists.
Kippy, an 8year old Jack Russell mix (maybe with cairn?) dx 11/23/19. Ordered enzymes on 11/23 and using pancreatin 4x from vitamin shoppe in the meantime. Purina focus, American Journey limited ingredient, Probiotics, slippery elm.

D Sloan
State: Ohio

Re: Newly diagnosed dog

Post by D Sloan » 23 Nov 2019, 16:12

Hang in there they should be there in a few days they ship Monday-Thursday for normal orders.
You can pick up an emergency option at The Vitamin Shoppe for about $10 you could start today just go to their website and search for Pancreatin then you can check what is available at a store near you.

As for treats and bones and such once things are stable you may be able to sneak in a bit but go very slowly and watch the stools. I would not suggest it right now till things are stable. You can take a meal with the enzymes and freeze it in bits to use as treats and not change the diet or grind it and place it in a squeeze tube. Neither will change the diet so you should be fine.

Hang in there and I am glad you were able to get the dx.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Nov 2019, 16:35

Hi. Glad you found the forum.

You need to feed 150% of the weight you want your pup. So I would either add an evening meal or add a little more to each 3 feedings.

We ask until your pup is stable you refrain from treats. You can use ice chips or a highly prized toy. When your pup is stable you can try a treat or bone right after an enzymed meal. We also have a treat section.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

halcyon

Post by halcyon » 23 Nov 2019, 18:04

Thanks! There is a gnc near me that is open for one more hour and they say they have pancreatin. I am running over there now!!! Thank you.

What would the dosage be, of both this and the enzymes from Dianne? I am giving him one third cup three times a day plus about t
1/4 cup of wet mixed in. Thank you so much.
Kippy, an 8year old Jack Russell mix (maybe with cairn?) dx 11/23/19. Ordered enzymes on 11/23 and using pancreatin 4x from vitamin shoppe in the meantime. Purina focus, American Journey limited ingredient, Probiotics, slippery elm.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Nov 2019, 20:58

1 level teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup kibble.
For canned it is 3/4 c food to 1/2 teaspoon 6x enzyme.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 23 Nov 2019, 21:46

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. EPI can be overwhelming for both you and your pup in the beginning but I promise both of you will get used to the new routine soon :)

There are four cornerstones to properly managing EPI: Enzymes (glad you ordered EnzymeDiane as they are about 1/3 less expensive than the vet prescription enzymes - starting dose is 1 level teaspoon per cup of kibble - mix in a little luke warm water then add kibble and incubate 20-30 minutes before feeding); B12 (EPI dogs need their B12 on the high side of normal 600+ - you can either do weekly injections or use the WonderLab Pet Factor B12 pills - I personally prefer the WonderLab pills as they have Intrinsic Factor which helps with B12 absorption - either way B12 supplementing is for life with these dogs); Antibiotics (if dealing with SID we recommend a 45 day course of Tylan and slowly wean off); and Food (the hardest part - we recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less; feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be but in smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day).

We recommend when first diagnosed to give the proper dose of enzymes, B12 and food about 2 weeks to see if the gut corrects itself and then if still dealing with cow pies or other signs of SID , try either Slippery Elm or Tylan antibiotic. I would not use probiotics right now as most probiotics have a strain that we have found EPI dogs have too much of. It's best to keep things simple in the beginning.

Be sure to keep a detailed journal of everything you give and the resulting poop so you know what works and what doesn't. Most importantly, please know we are all here to help you and you are not alone in this journey.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

halcyon

Post by halcyon » 25 Nov 2019, 08:54

The only pancreatin that they had was in tablets. My son was picking it up and didn't realize that capsules might be better. So we crushed two pancreatin 4x in 1/2cup of food and I don't think there was any change. Still had diarrhea overnight. I was trying to convert what tablets into powder mathematically and I think two tablets is too few. The Dianne enzymes should be in hopefully by Friday.

How long does itnormally take to see results? My boy is SO skinny. :|

Eta: okay, I see above that it can take two weeks to see a change. Thanks.
ETA another question. Is excessive urination related to the epi? Kippy is peeing in the house a LOT more than he ever has.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Nov 2019, 09:05

You can go to enzymediane.com and look how much lipase, protease and amylase is in a teaspoon of 6x. Compare your 4x tabs and adjust up accordingly.

Jill

halcyon

Post by halcyon » 25 Nov 2019, 14:49

OMG solid poop outside the house for the first time in 5 weeks!!!!!!!!!! I never thought I'd be so happy to see solid poop!!!!

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Nov 2019, 18:19

Woohoo! Solid poops are great, aren't they?

Jill