Slippery elm

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Pattib
State: Florida
Pet name: Tinkerbell
My name: Patti Blitz

Slippery elm

Post by Pattib » 13 Dec 2019, 18:58

Hi all, have q few questions about the slippery elm powder. How should I space it with her metronidazole? She gets that in the AM after breakfast. Should I give SE with the evening meal? Also does anyone have any suggestions for names of a good multi vitamin, probiotic and B-12? I’m using CoB12alequin 250 mg tablets from Nutramax Labs and Pethonesty Probiotic 6 billion CFUs. We’re just limping along, not really knowing if I’m doing it right. She does better on the metronidazole that the Tylan so Vet switched her back to it, but only once a day. So that’s why I’m going to try the slippery elm too. She lost a few ounces in the last month from 10lbs to 9.5☹️ Poops aren’t great but don’t know what else to do. Using Diane’s enzymes but noticed they don’t have the vitamin A,D or E that the Pancreved has so I think a multivitamin would be good?? Thank you so much for ant suggestions. You guys are mine and Tinkerbell’s saviors!💜

Tuckaboo Pam
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Slippery elm

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Dec 2019, 16:21

We use Wonderlabs Pet Factor B12, intrinsic factor. $30 for 180 on Amazon.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Dec 2019, 16:24

All different probiotics gave my dog the runs, so we had to stop them.--Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Pattib
Pet name: Tinkerbell
My name: Patti Blitz

Post by Pattib » 15 Dec 2019, 08:08

Thank you for the info. Always so helpful. This website has saved my sanity and my pup’s life.

faye grimm
State: Oregon
Pet name: Daisy
My name: faye

Post by faye grimm » 30 Dec 2019, 20:09

Is there a reason not to use straight human grade slippery elm powder?
My holistic vet suggested sprinkling a little on her food before the diagnosis for epi.
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."
So I gave the man his $50 and we have been joined at the hip every since ...

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 30 Dec 2019, 20:32

The slippery elm I have, given to me by another member of the group, says nothing about being for pets/dogs.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 30 Dec 2019, 21:17

No, no reason not to use human grade SE. I use a little no salt chicken broth warm and mix in and serve.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 30 Dec 2019, 22:47

Hi Patti. With regards to Slippery Elm Bark Powder you want to be sure you are using organic slippery elm from the inner bark. Most of us use either WonderLabs Slippery Elm or NOW Slippery Elm (you can get the NOW brand on Amazon). BE SURE TO MIX WITH WATER - slippery elm bark powder is a mucilage and dry powder and if not given with water can cause an emergency situation. Here is a link to the dosing information from our website https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/. You can give it with the metronidazole and it should be given twice a day AM and PM feeding.

You said you are limping along. Can you give some specifics so we might be able to make some suggestions to help you? In the meantime I'll go over the EPI protocol in case you see something you might be missing.

ENZYMES: we recommend 1 level teaspoon per cup of kibble, mix with a little luke warm water, add kibble and sit 20-30 minutes before feeding

B12: we recommend either using the shot protocol in the beginning or using WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills - they have intrinsic factor which helps with B12 absorption

ANTIBIOTICS: if dealing with SID and unresolved after two weeks of following the enzyme, B12 and food protocol, then we recommend a 45 day course of Tylan and then slowly wean off

FOOD: we recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less - avoid peas and legumes - feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be but in smaller meals throughout the day.

We don't recommend using probiotics in the beginning because recent research has shown EPI dogs have too much of the lactibacillius strain which is in most probiotics and it's difficult to know if the probiotics are helping or making things worse. Once your dog is stable - good poops, weight gain - for a few months then you can try slowly adding a probiotic if you want. Just remember not all probiotics are the same and your pup may already have too much of a strain that you are giving which can make things worse.

If you can post here your current protocol that would be helpful so we can take a look at what's going on and see if there's something we can suggest to tweak. Hang in there, don't give up, we are all here to help you.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Dec 2019, 09:12

Hi Patti, if you are feeding a balanced diet there should be no reason for adding a multivitamin, unless your vet prescribed one specifically for your dog.

Also per the B12 protocol Madelon mentioned, any oral B12 MUST contain the added INTRINSIC FACTOR.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 04 Jan 2020, 10:31

Hi again Patti. I give Doc VetriScience Multivitamins, but this is not necessary in treating EPI. Here is a link to our page with research regarding vitamins and EPI dogs. https://epi4dogs.com/epi-research/. Just be sure to talk to your vet before giving anything so they can look into the product themselves as not all supplements are created equally and too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Here is a link to our page regarding oral B12. https://epi4dogs.com/b12-protocol/. Oral B12 does not have to have the intrinsic factor in it, HOWEVER, what we have found over the years is that the majority of our dogs do better on the oral B12 that has the intrinsic factor in it because intrinsic factor helps with B12 absorption. There is no way to know if the intrinsic factor in each EPI dog has been damaged or to what degree from SID, so we recommend using the pills that have the intrinsic factor in it as a precaution.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.