New member: Daisy's story

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New member: Daisy's story

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Jan 2020, 14:21

Good for you, Faye. I, too, have been spreading the word. Funny thing happened---a friend who has Shiloh Shepherds told me she had heard of a group and an enzyme connection that would beat anything else I could find anywhere. She contacted her Shiloh group, asked the names, ----and they were EPI4Dogs & Enzyme Diane! Both of my vets wrote down the names for other clients; let's face it, it is always nice to have somebody to talk to. This is a little off subject, but one thing I do wonder is, why does Texas A&M have to charge $440.00 for the EPI test?-Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Jan 2020, 14:31

Faye, your package was delivered this morning.---P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

faye grimm
State: Oregon
Pet name: Daisy
My name: faye

Post by faye grimm » 07 Jan 2020, 14:41

I did get the package Pam. Thank you so very much my dear. I have not been online much to thank you sooner.

So I brought Daisy in Monday (the 6th) for a blood draw to test for SID - folate and cobalum.
Results should be in Friday. We'll see lol

The good news is Daisy now weights 33.4 lbs. That is a 4 pound gain from when I started the enzymes last month.
And she is getting her "too much for me to keep up with" personality back. :D

We are still at 4 meals a day but with a couple of smaller servings for now essentially weaning her down to 3 meals a day.
She does not seem to want more though she wouldn't say no. lol

I will let you know as soon as I have test results.
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."
So I gave the man his $50 and we have been joined at the hip every since ...

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jan 2020, 18:08

Wow Faye-
Nice job with the weight gain on Daisey.
Keep it up.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Jan 2020, 21:14

CONGRATULATIONS on the weight gain! It's so relieving to see their spunky personalities start to come back as they are healing from the inside out. And THANK YOU so much for helping spread awareness and education of EPI. This organization/website was founded to help educate the public, veterinarians and pet owners about EPI and how to properly manage it and it's people like you that help bring awareness and save lives :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

faye grimm

Post by faye grimm » 08 Jan 2020, 14:54

Not sure where I saw this .. maybe a new member post?
There was a dog kibble named (I think it had a 2 word title) so I looked it up and went to the site.
It sounded pretty good and a 30# bag was selling for around $70 .. I wish I could find that again or remember.

If anyone has a clue what I am referring to please let me know.
Thank you.

Another question: Has anyone used Aloe Vera as an additive to their dog's food?
I understand it can be very soothing to the intestinal tract. Yes, I am adding a little slippery elm 2x a day.
Don't worry, I'm only asking, not doing anything.
"Aloe Vera Could Help Treat Digestive Problems" http://www.superfoods-scientific-resear ... blems.html
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Jan 2020, 21:07

Was it the Sport Dog elite?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

faye grimm

Post by faye grimm » 08 Jan 2020, 22:13

I think that was it.
thank you Jill. :)

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 09 Jan 2020, 07:57

What good news on the weight gain
F
My vet did a dance when Kara gained weight

Keep your journal and let us know the results

We never repeated b12 or cTLI tests, we knew when Kara was struggling, her persona changed, so we just gave her the b12 capsules and an injectiin once a month for life

Tyan was also for life, we gave such a tiny amount twice daily it almost wasnt worth it , but needs must

Jx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Jan 2020, 21:07

Hi Faye. I don't know anything about aloe vera but I would suggest not adding anything at this time. As long as you continue to head in the right direction with weight gain and good poops I would wait to add anything else until you've been stable for a few months. Then you can try adding things but we suggest adding things at 1/2 the dose - don't start off with full strength.

I will mention that I have had good results adding L-glutamine (I use Monica Segal's as it is pure l-glutamine and nothing else) while weaning off of Tylan. But I cannot stress enough that we are not veterinarians and you should check with your vet before adding anything.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.