Cardiomyopathy group on face book

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Corgeze
State: Iowa

Cardiomyopathy group on face book

Post by Corgeze » 28 Dec 2019, 17:06

There is a cardiomyopathy on facebook that has been posting a lot about the dangers of feeding grain free food. Has there been people in this group that have developed heart issues from feeding the grain free? I am concerned about continuing with the food. I have switched to a grain free food called Sport Dog Elite which doesn't include peas, potatoes or lentils in the ingrediants. Can an epi dog with the enzymes tolerate a food with grain? After all of the stuff coming out I am very concerned. Seems like everyday more and more is being brought out and dogs are dying.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Cardiomyopathy group on face book

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Dec 2019, 18:38

Hi, here is some information with insight from our site. Hop this helps.

https://epi4dogs.com/taurine-grainfree-diets/
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Corgeze
State: Iowa

Post by Corgeze » 28 Dec 2019, 19:56

A great article...thank you.

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 28 Dec 2019, 22:39

Two days ago I met my first dog with Nutritional DCM, poor thing was coughing up a storm.

Nikki eats a grain-free prescription diet (RC Potato & Duck), that may be an option for you. We asked her vet at Texas A&M earlier this month and they confirmed that this diet is properly balanced.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... cgSDzapDrg

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Dec 2019, 13:01

I would also like to share a link from the Whole Dog Journal about Cardiomyopathy that recently came out (which i plan on uploading to our website) but IMHO it gives the very best overall coverage and known research about this issue. I thought this shed the best light (to-date) on the situation
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/ ... nine-diet/

P.S. My dog struggles with legumes/lentils in her food due to her EPI..so we too feed SPORT Elite food (love it!) BUT..just a FYI... there is research on this website that was actually done on mini-pigs with EPI and PEAS (legumes/lentils) were the worst thing (Carb) to give them... made their SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) get really bad......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 29 Dec 2019, 18:51

Hi. Thank you Jill and Olesia for posting the links. My PERSONAL opinion is to treat the condition I know my dog has, not one that may or may not happen. I remember before Doc was diagnosed with EPI I fed him Royal Canin GSD Puppy - he did GREAT and I loved the research and science behind the food. When he started to lose weight the trainer at the local pet food store told me Royal Canin was complete garbage and I should be feeding him grain free - that was 4 1/2yrs ago. He was diagnosed with EPI a few months later so I did switch him to grain free. Now that same trainer is saying how wonderful Royal Canin is and grain free is garbage. Recently my vet warned me about DCM and grain free knowing that Doc is on grain free and my response was until there is more research, with a wider variety of dogs AND peer reviews of the research, I will continue with what I know he needs. That being said, if I had one of the breeds pre-disposed to DCM or my dog was showing symptoms, then I would definitely consider switching foods. I personally don't believe it's "grain free" that is an issue as much as it is the suspect ingredients. In the end, you have to do what YOU are comfortable with and feel is best for your dog.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 30 Dec 2019, 06:40

this is interesting, and thought provoking

however, having been through EPI and many related auto immune issues with Kara I learned very early on that you write everything down, and come to realise that the big dog food companies have very deep pockets, the vets sometimes are sponsored by them e.g. Hills and RC, and the pet food stores will advertise for them by selling them

these foods are in their own right are excellent, but are not for everyone

there is evidence that CM is hereditary, so I cant see that foods would create that situation

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutri ... iet-alert/

clearly says there is no evidence

"According to Dr. Klein, “At this time, there is no proof that these ingredients are the cause of DCM in a broader range of dogs, but dog owners should be aware of this alert from the FDA. The FDA continues to work with veterinary cardiologists and veterinary nutritionists to better understand the effect, if any, of grain-free diets on dogs.”

I think having EPI at the start, is enough without taking on other issues which might, or might not happen, we took Kara to the vets monthly for her b12 injection and she was checked out

I totally understand peoples fears, I had just about everything auto immune with Kara and then DM which floored me
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Dec 2019, 20:08

I agree with both Jean and Madelon..... in short... more research needs to be done, however, there does seem to be more of a prevalence in certain breeds in which case, if you have one of these breeds, be a little more observant with your dog- -as to what agrees or not.... however... remember, our dogs have EPI and if your dog does not do well with grain in their food, as many EPI dogs have issues with grain or too much grain which will cause bad flare-ups with SID, then you probably want to give preference to feeding your dog with what best agrees with their EPI condition first .....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........